Darren Bent

juanpabloangel18

The problem is that in the 4-2-3-1 formation that P.L. adopted, Bent can play only as centre forward, the same role of Benteke. Weimann and Gabby do an exhausting work on the wings that Bent is not able to provide, and probably he is too strong and too paid to be only a back-up for Benteke.

Doesnt explain him not even making the bench though. I wonder if he has actually been sold already or very close and not being played to avoid injury.

I guess we will find out come Tuesday...

I was fuming when I got to the ground last night and discovered Bent wasn't even on the bench, I really wanted to go and have it out with Lambert. Then having watched the game you think, was Bent going to contribute to that, in terms of work levels and tracking back and making things happen for himself ? Then again, he may just have poached a goal as he does.

I thought it was strange that they showed him going into the dressing room before the game on ESPN, if he wasn't in the team. I think he's definitely going in January and to be honest with how we've been set out this season he isn't really of any use. Yes he is a proven goal scorer but only in the right moments, we can't facilitate his style of play right now, were having to graft and that's something Bent doesn't do.

If we can get £10m+ for him I'd be happy, no doubt he will move on and continue to score goals.

if PL wants to play 4-3-3, so be it, but what if either gabby, benteke or andi pick up a long term injury? then what? bent is just as muh of an asset, even when hes not scoring goals, than any other striker at the club

You just want some honesty from the club

No I don't. If they want him to leave, I want them to say he is absolutely not going anywhere in order to drive up the price. If we freeze him out and say we are certainly selling him, we would be lucky to get 8 million back for him.

• Like 1

if PL wants to play 4-3-3, so be it, but what if either gabby, benteke or andi pick up a long term injury? then what? bent is just as muh of an asset, even when hes not scoring goals, than any other striker at the club

Well, as long as PL buys a decent striker with the money from Bent's potential sale (probably £10m-£12m), an injury to Benteke, Gabby or Weimann wouldn't be too big a problem.

As for Bent being an asset even when not scoring goals, I think that's the problem - he generally isn't! He doesn't work the channels, he's poor in the air when challenging for a header and he's got a very average first touch.

He's probably the best finisher we've had for 20 odd years, but if he doesn't score then he contributes very little else. Football is evolving to the point where very few teams can accommodate a 'goal-hanger' type striker these days, and we are not one of those teams!

No I don't. If they want him to leave, I want them to say he is absolutely not going anywhere in order to drive up the price. If we freeze him out and say we are certainly selling him, we would be lucky to get 8 million back for him.

Agreed Raymond, besides I don't know why we as fans think we have a right to know everything these days!

Spot on Morpheus. Lambert is gambling our future here over some personal vendetta it would seem.

Immature and not impressive at all.

In all fairness you know **** all about what has gone on behind the scenes. For all you know Bent could have said unless unless I am starting I ain't sitting on the bench any more.

Bottom line is when a new manager comes in he will quickly decide who he does and doesn't fancy. After two years of instability this club now needs to stick with Lambert. That includes accepting his decisions on who he does and doesn't want to retain from what he inherited.

Lambert isn't stupid enough to bite his nose off to spite his face. If he thinks Bent, or any player for that matter, can fit into the way he wants us to play and can do a job he will pick him. If not he won't.

I wouldn't read too much into Lambert's comments why he wasn't chosen against Arsenal, "It's my choice!" sounds like he's tired of getting asked that all the time. Against teams like Arsenal we need someone like Benteke, Gabby and Weimann who works more than Bent and I wouldn't be surprised if he plays against Reading.

Â