Darren Bent

juanpabloangel18

You seem to be under the impression I'm trying to defend it or put a positive spin on it in some way I'm not. I'm struggling if I'm honest to see what you've read in my post that makes you think I'm either satisfied with how things are going or the fact Lambert has taken this course of action. I'm neither.

I personally would have preferred that we sort to get the best out of Bent by signing players to compliment him in the summer.

But we didn't and we are where we are, there is little point in my view thinking Lambert is going to focus much time and effort trying to get the best out of Bent.

Bent is a poacher, a very good one but not much more and to say that isn't really being disparaging about him but rather just being factual. As I said in the right team he would score plenty as he has done in the past, I just don't see that team being here under Lambert.

You seem to be under the impression I'm trying to defend it or put a positive spin on it in some way I'm not. I'm struggling if I'm honest to see what you've read in my post that makes you think I'm either satisfied with how things are going or the fact Lambert has taken this course of action. I'm neither.

I personally would have preferred that we sort to get the best out of Bent by signing players to compliment him in the summer.

But we didn't and we are where we are, there is little point in my view thinking Lambert is going to focus much time and effort trying to get the best out of Bent.

Bent is a poacher, a very good one but not much more and to say that isn't really being disparaging about him but rather just being factual. As I said in the right team he would score plenty as he has done in the past, I just don't see that team being here under Lambert.

So none of our players are scoring goals, Bent doesn't fit in Lambert's system, then basically no player would score goals for Lambert's team then? Darren Bent did score under McLeish, a much more defensive manager so basically he will score for Lambert as well. He needs to be fit, he needs playing time and he certainly does not need all the conspiracy theories about him.

So none of our players are scoring goals, Bent doesn't fit in Lambert's system, then basically no player would score goals for Lambert's team then? Darren Bent did score under McLeish, a much more defensive manager so basically he will score for Lambert as well. He needs to be fit, he needs playing time and he certainly does not need all the conspiracy theories about him.

I've little or no idea what you are on about.

the problem with bent is that when he plays we're carrying him. we don't make as many chances with him on the pitch, so he's completely redundant. when benteke plays instead and we have him missing chances that bent would've scored, it's not simply a case of saying "bent would've scored that one for sure", because he wouldnt - mainly because the chance wouldn't have happened with him in the team

it's a pretty big conundrum. he's undoubtedly our best goalscorer, but if playing him means we don't create any goalscoring opportunities, then how the hell is he supposed to do what he's supposed to?

I think it is pretty ignorant this debate about a) Playing Bent and not creating anything and B) Not playing Bent and creating lots of chances. Not any of those are really true IMO, as general play will and should develop over the season and we need someone to score the goals when we do. Also, a good striker creates clever room and spaces for the players to hit - so that said striker can score the goal after the pass. It is not like general attacking play is made up by one striker like Benteke who can bind up defenders, our problem is that our full-backs are way too sloppy on the ball and afraid of going forward, and our midfield is way too weak in possession and establishing attacking play. That is where our problem is, we do not have a set line-up and we don't have any attacking midfielders. We have a few players that can pass the ball around like KEA and Bannan, but none of them contributes going forward. CNZ does not play a lot and Holman IMO is not a very good footballer. Darren Bent has scores lots of goals for Ipswich, Charlton and Sunderland - all of which at the time were similar or weaker sides compared to us. The problem lies elsewhere and if/when Darren Bent goes to another team I think everyone will realize that pretty quickly. We need more forward passing and attacking force, because we do have the strikers. A midfield of Bannan - Westwood and KEA is probably amongst the weakest centrals in the Premier League and I think it is very strange that many are blaming all trouble on Darren Bent, the only player that fans of other clubs would take from our team.

I don't think people disagree Papillion, I certainly don't. I've already said that he would score plenty elsewhere as he has done previously. The problem is as even you are saying he needs people to create chances for him and to make the most of his movement. We don't have those players and it doesn't appear that Lambert wants to sign the sort of players required to build the team to get the most out of Bent.

That is why I think people are starting to become resigned to the thought of him leaving.

I don't think anyone particularly want us to sell him and I don't think people are particularly blaming Bent for his lack of goals, quite the opposite in fact. There is though no point pretending that Bent is something he isn't, he isn't a particularly good footballer but he is a very good goal scorer just one we aren't capable of making the most of.

The problem lies elsewhere

completely agree, but the fact is that the problem affects how effective bent is for us. we DO have a weak midfield that can't create anything for bent, but benteke, through his higher work rate, is able to get a few chances a game. the problem isn't darren bent at all, but the options are play bent and suffer overall, or play benteke and give us at least some chance of him creating something for himself or someone else

completely agree, but the fact is that the problem affects how effective bent is for us. we DO have a weak midfield that can't create anything for bent, but benteke, through his higher work rate, is able to get a few chances a game. the problem isn't darren bent at all, but the options are play bent and suffer overall, or play benteke and give us at least some chance of him creating something for himself or someone else

Nail firmly on head.

Â