Darren Bent

juanpabloangel18

Trent, you used to be one of the most positive and entertaining posters on here and you were 100% Villa. I've watched your feelings about the club change, slowly at first then quite dramatically.

I'm still 100% Villa thank you very much. What I post has always and continues to reflect my views on what is happening at the club and what I conclude or believe based upon that. My feelings about the club haven't changed and never will do, what has changed is my opinions about some of the people at the club.

I'm sorry if that means you no longer like my posts but I'm never going to be someone who just posts positive things to be positive.

You're entitled to your opinion of course but I think it's a shame that an "(I keep pretending I know the thoughts behind other peoples posts)" seems to shape many of your posts these days.

Please stop using that term to label peoples opinions.

Bent is a natural finisher and we still have the right players to supply him imo. (in line with the topic of the thread)

I agree with you about the first half of this I remain unconvinced on the second.

Anyway can we please get this back on topic and off poster, ie me. Thanks.

The service was fine today, I was a little disappointed that he never anticipated N'Zogbia's ball when he went past the two Blackburn players.

He's scored goals for every team he's played for, and some of those teams had very bad seasons and a lack of service compared to what he had last season. His worst spell in his Premier League career was probably the couple of months at Sunderland before he joined us and that was probably due to his mentality.

Players like Bent make it easy for the players around him to find him as he finds space, and even the most average players can find him then.

I'd say the only concern is that he thrives on balls into the box, and we seem to have changed our style a little in that we're not so direct.

Showed yesterday whay you pay your money for. Even when it looked as if his touch had taken him too wide and wasted the opportunity. the finish to beat Robinson at the near post was fantastic. Guranteed to get goals and think once he gets an understanding with NZogbia we will get a great return from him.

The service was fine today, I was a little disappointed that he never anticipated N'Zogbia's ball when he went past the two Blackburn players.

He's scored goals for every team he's played for, and some of those teams had very bad seasons and a lack of service compared to what he had last season. His worst spell in his Premier League career was probably the couple of months at Sunderland before he joined us and that was probably due to his mentality.

Players like Bent make it easy for the players around him to find him as he finds space, and even the most average players can find him then.

I'd say the only concern is that he thrives on balls into the box, and we seem to have changed our style a little in that we're not so direct.

I was going to bring up the chance that N'Zogbia created from the by-line. I think this is a glimpse of the service to come when Charlie gets up to speed.

It's worth noting that not many teams play with 2 out and out wingers like we did with Young and Downing. With players like Zog, Bannan, Delph and even Gabby and Heskey the chances will come for Bent, albeit not necessarily in the same vein that we've been used to.

Encourage the midfield to get shots on target for instance and all the parries and ricochets will once again fall to our resident Johnny on the spot.

Crossing the ball in is only one method of attack but there are plenty of other ways to skin a cat, and as mentioned on the last page, DB9 got 24 goals at Sunderland!

Normal service has been resumed. :)

...Predator.

nuff said.

People have to accept that he is not going to pull up many roses outside the penalty area. He only comes alive in and around the box, and has a gift of ghosting into positions to score,

Defenders have to concentrate on his movement throughout the game, otherwise, with the right supply, hes in on goal.

We need to strengthen the middle a little bit more, which would enable us to go 4-4-2 in games. Him and Gabby up front is promising, and you could even push Zoggy up beside him if needed.

Is why i have a sneaky feeling we aint finished in the market. Well its what im holding hope on to :?

Sounds like those that went yesterday were still saying the lack of support/service to Bent was very much still evident.. I feel for him at this rate.

I went and I thought he was isolated for large spells of the game, that the service was poor and often sloppy and usually consisted of attempts to slip balls in behind a ver deep defence for him.

It didn't work, he looked frustrated and we couldn't score.

This remains my biggest concern at the moment, I'm really not convinced despite the Blackburn result that we will be creative enough to get the best out of Bent.

I can't see Bent getting the service to enable him to score as many goals for us. I can then see some fans saying we are better off without him and then him leaving maybe as soon as January but more likely next summer.

This will miss the point entirely of why Bent has not scored as many goals and the real reason behind it. It all has an inevitability about it .

I can't see Bent getting the service to enable him to score as many goals for us.

Maybe not. Although if we concede less and secure more points and wins, then I don't see a massive problem.

We will be a more compact and competitive side this year under big Feck, and it looks like we'll have a better structure.

last season under the Hou we were porous.

This season we look like being a tougher nut to crack, and if that means slightly less goals, then so be it.

Not being direspectful Jon but I would have been pissed off if Fulham, Blackburn and Hereford had found us anything but a tough nut to crack. As it was Fulham could have had two but for the presence of Given whose fitness still remains a concern for me.

We are not actually lining up too dissimilar to the second half of last season when Bent was scoring frequently for us. Gabby/Albrighton and Nzog outwide with Heskey playing in the hole/as a second striker. The major difference is in the quality this season as Downing and Ash would have made up two of the three players providing the ammunition from out wide/supporting Bent.

Time will tell if Bent will be as prolific as he was last season/will get as many chances. Its very early days though for NZog and I'd imagine he will be seen as one of the main supply lines for Bent and it would be nice to see Albrighton return to some kind of form. I'm also sure McLeish wouldn't have minded bringing another winger in and/or someone to play in the hole but funds seem to be dictating that he can't.

I can't see why he can't score a shit load again this season.

He scored 24 league goals in a team containing the likes of Frasier Campbell, Lee Cattermole, Andy Reid, and Steed Malbranque.

Surely McLeish can get us playing in a manner that is conducive to another hefty return from Darren Bent.

Let's not forget he's scored goals frequently at clubs like Charlton and Sunderland so in terms of service, as long as the ball gets into the box, he will always score goals. Might add a few from the penalty stop but will definitely lose a few goals without Downing and Young. I think we'll see him score around 15-18, then hopefully likes of Gabby/Heskey/N'Zogbia can all chip in with 5-8 goals.

Â