Darren Bent

juanpabloangel18

Yes he had a chance last season to prove he could still score goals at Fulham and failed. Not sure what he offers now!  I don't rate Gabby too highly but I'd pick him evertime over Bent, same with Weimann.

To be fair he only stared 11 games at Fulham so was not as if he played all season there.

We struggle to score goals and we have a guy who in one premier league season before scored 24 goals! It is crazy that he hasn't had more playing time.

I blame Lambert for not getting the best out of Bent.

and the reason he only started 11 games? thats hardly Lambert fault is it. 

Is it Lambert fault he made Bent captain and Bent looked like he didnt give a **** and was outshone by a 20 year old not used to Premier League

• Like 2

huge bent fan,  wanted him here for ages.  

Has he helped himself? No

Has he helped the team ? No

Saw him for Fulham last season and to say he was a passenger would be doing passengers a disservice he was useless

His goals kept us in the league a few seasons ago and for that I'm grateful. 

We would probably still be struggling in the second tier if it wasn't for this guy, Its not his fault we offered to pay him the weekly big bucks and then got bombed out.

No but it is his fault that he has put zero **** effort in, came back pre season a fat **** word removed, and has put in zero **** effort to adapt his game considering the pace and sharpness that made him what he was is gone.

• Like 3

He's the worst piece of business this club has ever done, has one of the worst attitiudes.

A nothing footballer, who's achieved nothing and won nothing. Scored goals but never played for the team, only for himself.

He never kept us up either, the other ten players who provided him the sitters did.

• Like 3

He's the worst piece of business this club has ever done, has one of the worst attitiudes.

A nothing footballer, who's achieved nothing and won nothing. Scored goals but never played for the team, only for himself.

He never kept us up either, the other ten players who provided him the sitters did.

Stop beating round the bush and tell us what you really think!

• Like 1

Fairly correct.

One of my Spurs' mates said Darren Bent is one of the worst forwards he's ever seen.  I pointed out his goalscoring record, how he (now, used to) work well between the lines of offside to get on the end of through balls etc. - his reply was "He does absolutely nothing for the team mate.  You lot are being mugged off".  I was happy, again, to say he was wrong - look at that first season, scoring all the goals etc.  Now I realise, though.  Now I realise.

Now that is nonsense. He had a great goal scoring record, and achieved far more than most footballers ever will.

He was always signed to score goals, and did so.

And it is goals that win matches, not assists.

• Like 4

Now that is nonsense. He had a great goal scoring record, and achieved far more than most footballers ever will.

He was always signed to score goals, and did so.

And it is goals that win matches, not assists.

Agreed. If anything Bent is one of the best bits of business we have done as he kept us in the division that season and saved us millions. We could well have gone down without him.

A better manager would no doubt have got far more out of Bent like several previous managers have managed to do.  

We have the lowest scoring attack in the premier league and in fact no football league team has scored fewer. When you have one of the 25 all time premier league goalscorers on the bench while the rest of the strikers fail to deliver consistently it makes no sense. Then again that's Paul Lambert for you.

Couldnt agree more...fat, waste of space and should never be seen in a Villa shirt again. Self-centred, lazy sod. Bent highlights everything thats wrong in todays game....I would rather grab a kid from Aston Park and put him in the team than play Bent

I don't blame bent, yes he was over priced in terms of the quality of player but the he did practically keep us up with he's goals in 2010.

But I think he's now part of a by gone age in football, the fox in box poacher is no more, you look at the strikers playing in the league now, from Pelle to Charlie Austin, they all do more and more outside the box which is something bent never did & never will do.

Edited by Jimzk5

Bent is useless in a team that creates no chances. He isn't going to pluck the ball out the air spin and bang it in the top corner. He was a fantastic signing and he kept us up, no doubt about that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BXeVpv2bPY

Just look at them goals, tap ins or in the box sharp movement. Problem is we took away Young/Downing/Walker who created most of them and replaced them with utter dross. Lambert basically never used him so I don't blame him for being unfit or disinterested, my motivation would probably be gone too. How many wingers do we have? How often have we got the byline this season? This is the huge problem, we have one style of play and it never changes.

• Like 3

I think the point though is that when he scored those goals he was about 5-10kg lighter than he is now which tells you all you need to know about why we are in this situation.

Yes he was a cracking player with a great goal scoring record and yes we haven't helped the situation by removing any kind of creativity in the side (seemingly never to return). However if a professional athlete can't get themselves in A1 physical condition (WHEN THAT IS ALL THEY HAVE TO  DO EACH DAY!!!!) then the guy clearly doesn't give a rats arse any more.

Not worked out on either side just another example in a long line of expensive mistakes under Randys stewardship.

Bent is useless in a team that creates no chances. He isn't going to pluck the ball out the air spin and bang it in the top corner. He was a fantastic signing and he kept us up, no doubt about that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BXeVpv2bPY

Just look at them goals, tap ins or in the box sharp movement. Problem is we took away Young/Downing/Walker who created most of them and replaced them with utter dross. Lambert basically never used him so I don't blame him for being unfit or disinterested, my motivation would probably be gone too. How many wingers do we have? How often have we got the byline this season? This is the huge problem, we have one style of play and it never changes.

You "dont blame him for being unfit and disinterested" are you for real?.....so we shouldnt expect a guy than earns a massive salary to be fit AND interested?....please tell me your not serious!......or are you DBs agent?

His minutes per goal were better in a relegated Fulham team than Gabby/Weimann last season. Hardly decades ago. But let's stick with what isn't working. When we are in the Championship they can score. Maybe.

Whatever our problem is right now, Darren Bent is not the solution.  He contributes nothing to a team.  I just checked whoscored to see how he's done in general.  Interesting thing I noticed is that his av. shots per game have gone;

2009/10: Sunderland: 3

2010/11: Sunderland: 3.1  -  Aston Villa: 2.4

2011/12: Aston Villa: 2

2012/13: Aston Villa: 1.2

2013/14: Fulham: 0.9

2014/15: Aston Villa 0.2

He's not just going downhill, he's jumped off a cliff!

Â