Darren Bent

juanpabloangel18

Darren Bent has to be the enigma of the Premier League at the moment. An absolute nailed on top notch goalscorer. First off we don't want him in any shape or form. Not even as back up to our 3 main strikers.

Then, given his guaranteed proven ability to do the hardest thing in football, score goals, every body it seems are falling over themselves not to sign him.

It amazes me that such a player as been in the shop window for so long without anybody realizing the bargain that is on offer here.

Or am I missing something somewhere here?

What price a proven goalscorer in the Premier League? Benteke, Suarez, Van Persie, Rooney?

Bent's goalscoring ratio favours handsomely against all of the above & yet still no takers.

Completely baffles me.

Oooh oohh, I'll answer that one.

Its simple really..... the other 4 strikers you mention contribute far more to overall play than Darren ever will. They will create opportunities for themselves and others, dropping off play and generally frightening defenders.

Bent hangs around the box and yes scores goals, but beyond that doesn't do much for the rest of the team, offensively or defensively - thats why noone is snapping our hands off for him. I fear that a certain Mr G. Lineker if playing today would have just as much difficulty in today's PL.  

Thanks Eames - Walkers Crisps adverts it is then Darren ;)

its definitely he his wages why nobody has took a punt on him. If he was still on Sunderland salary their be queues of teams looking for him

I don't think he got THAT much of a raise to join us

its definitely he his wages why nobody has took a punt on him. If he was still on Sunderland salary their be queues of teams looking for him

I think its more to do with teams knowing we have to get rid of him. If he had banged in 10-15 goals for us last season clubs would be queing up to pay for him. But the fact that he has been an outcast all last season and is on relatively high wages (at least too high for a 3rd choice striker) means clubs know they can get him on the cheap.

Still..for 6 million you would think that some teams would come knocking, specially the teams that just got promoted at least. It has to have something to do with his wages or what not, it just doesn`t add up.

I think its more to do with teams knowing we have to get rid of him. If he had banged in 10-15 goals for us last season clubs would be queing up to pay for him. But the fact that he has been an outcast all last season and is on relatively high wages (at least too high for a 3rd choice striker) means clubs know they can get him on the cheap.

Agree. Giving him a squad number of 39 this summer and announcing publicly he is training away from the first team has only emphasised this more.

I think the whole Bent saga shows how much chopping and changing managers cost football clubs. Within about 6 weeks of Lambert being in, we all knew he would be sold.  At best we are going to get about a third of what we paid for him in less than 3 years. Ouch. £4 to 6 mil he will be a decent buy for someone,  even though he has probably passed his peak. Always buy low, sell high.

Edited by The Fun Factory

Agree. Giving him a squad number of 39 this summer and announcing publicly he is training away from the first team has only emphasised this more.

All we need is two or more buyers and it doesn't really matter what squad number we've given him or where he's training.

I don't see how it's the wages.

Presumably when a team talks to him, they offer him the expected wages. Obviously they think he's less than what Darren Bent thinks he's worth.

I don't see how it's the wages.

Presumably when a team talks to him, they offer him the expected wages. Obviously they think he's less than what Darren Bent thinks he's worth.

Does that not make it the wages then? :lol:

• Like 1

Considering the prices other strikers are going, I think it's a bit baffling to believe that no one's buying him just because everyone knows that we want him out. If Cornelius can be signed for 8m, then why wouldn't anyone snap up Bent for 6m? Furthermore, why are Fulham and Newcastle the only team that wants Bent, a "proven PL goal scorer?"

Simple answer would be that they don't rate him. There's a reason he's bounced around all these clubs and he's never featured in a really good side. He's not that good of a player.

Cornelius is 20 years old if he does reasonably well and leaves Cardiff after three years, he'll be worth pretty much what they paid for him. So they'll have spent £7.5m plus maybe £30k a week so about £12m minus whatever they get back - if he flops that's probably still be £3-4m - worst case, the outlay is about £9m, best case, you make money when you sell him on.

Bent is 29 years old, if he goes to Newcastle for £5m, he'll want a deal for at least £60k a week - if he plays there three years then leaves, they can expect to maybe get a nominal fee for him - so they'll spend about £14m for three years minus whatever they get back - worst case, that's £14m, best case it's about £13m.

If both flop, Bent costs you about £5m more - if both succeed, Bent costs you £13m and Cornelius makes you about £8m.

That's the difference - age and wage.

The Telegraph are reporting that Newcastle told his agent that they will only pay 2mil and not match his wage demands. WTF???? 2mil really? A) are the telegraph spouting garbage?

B) are Newcastle on crack?

I honestly wish we'd keep bent and tell the Geordies and Cottagers to **** right off.

Why suddenly do the press think we're a bargain basement full of players we will give away. Bent is a proven England goal scorer, he may not fit with Lamberts plans but there are still few proven goal scorers out there much better, wages or not.

The Telegraph are reporting that Newcastle told his agent that they will only pay 2mil and not match his wage demands. WTF???? 2mil really? A) are the telegraph spouting garbage?

I honestly wish we'd keep bent and tell the Geordies and Cottagers to **** right off.

Why suddenly do the press think we're a bargain basement full of players we will give away. Bent is a proven England goal scorer, he may not fit with Lamberts plans but there are still few proven goal scorers out there much better, wages or not.

Kinnear playing hard ball thinking he is a bad ass... Hopefully Fulham pay up and we can get this over with.

Kinnear playing hard ball thinking he is a bad ass... Hopefully Fulham pay up and we can get this over with.

I'm starting to see why Newcastle have signed ZERO players this window.

Newcastle are just trying to piss off Pardew so he can walk. Their going to destroy the club.

With Bent.. i think Palace are in for him as well? Fulham should sign him id say.

I'm wondering if the Bent transfer will impact on any future signings. Yes if we're not using him we need his wages of the books but is Lambert reliant on whatever fee we get for him to purchase another player or is that fee just going towards our expenditure this window?

I suspect the latter but we'll see?

Im just speculating here but I suspect the problem with Bent and Lambert (and possibly why he has moved from so many teams) is that at some point Lambert will have tried to integrate him into the philosophy, by asking him to expand his game maybe learning how to play as a wide forward and Bent has probably refused

Everyone who has played the game at any level will at some point have played with someone like this, talented but egotistical

Pure guesswork but it would go a long way to explaining why his style of play is pretty much exactly the same as when he was at Ipswich way back when. Might also be the reason why Lambert has decided that he is surplus to requirements, much as other managers seemingly have in the past?

Â