Darren Bent

juanpabloangel18

i would rather keep bent than sell him for 2m, i suspect lambo is the same. 6m and i will be happy to sell

i dont believe we paid the 6m in clauses to sunderland so really we paid 18m for him which would be a 12m loss on a 29 year old if it happens

Get rid. Quickly.

Not on the cheap, but £5m - £6m is fair enough considering his age, wages and value at our club. And I am certain he will be gone in the next 10 days (not ITK), but any buying club will need to get him match fit.

Keeping him away from the first team squad may actually help in this regard, as any buying club will know he isn't 100% match fit, so will need to give him a few weeks to get up to full speed. As a result, this transfer is boiling up now rather than at the end of August.

I truly believe that once we get a bit of money for him, and shift his wages, we will see at least one more transfer in.

If we can shift either Ireland/Given (because they earn are paid so much), or the other Bomb Squad members, that will free up another spot or two.

I don't believe it's the transfers fees that are the problem, it's the wages.

We need to not spend the £8m on sitting him down for two years - that's more important than the fee in my opinion, we need to try to get what we can get, but come the end of the window we'll be better off letting him go for nothing than paying his wages. A £2m fee might not be what he's worth, but it gives us £10m to play with.

We could have thought about keeping him if Lambert hadn't treated him like crap from day 1 of his reign. The only criticism I have of Lambert's work so far I might add.

Not Lamberts problem if he doesn't suit his style.

Some people prefer a Bentley to a Rolls Royce or in this instance a Benteke.

Lambert would deserve criticism had he not come up with a successful alternative. The fact that he did means he becomes even more praiseworthy IMO.

• Like 3

We could have thought about keeping him if Lambert hadn't treated him like crap from day 1 of his reign. The only criticism I have of Lambert's work so far I might add.

Making him captain was treating him like crap?

Obviously something happened between Lambert giving him the armband and Bent being sidelined. The theory about Bent's refusal to play any position other than central striker is the most likely in my mind but it's up for debate.

Day 1? It was about day 40 when he made him captain. Then Benteke happened

Edited by praisedmambo

He gave Bent the captaincy originally...

Something happened to piss off Lambert so I wouldn't be criticising him, personally.

Edit: ArtSuave beat me to it with the exact same response

Edited by Feidhlim

Making him captain was treating him like crap?

Obviously something happened between Lambert giving him the armband and Bent being sidelined. The theory about Bent's refusal to play any position other than central striker is the most likely in my mind but it's up for debate.

Maybe Bent did something un-football related that Lambert didn't feel was befiting of a captain :detect:

or Bent just wasnt good enough to get into the team so shouldnt be captain :detect:

Definitely this. We play 1 centre forward. Benteke is better than bent. Therefore bent can't make the team. Can we afford to pay bent what we are as a backup striker? I'd say probably not. Bent is a good goal scorer but has been replaced by a better all round player who offers a lot more.

Can you imagine how fustrating the Bomb Squad would be if Lambert had to shift them before he could buy anyone!

I'm so pleased with the club that they got in and did their business early.  Now all our speculation revolves around getting rid of regrettable players. 

Anyone else in is a nice bonus. 

He gave us a good couple of seasons and probably kept us from dropping into the Championship, but he's no longer of any real use to us so £5m from Fulham sounds great. I wish him the best.

Edited by jayEm

Â