Darren Bent

juanpabloangel18

They're all professionals doing their job. Don't particularly see it as a humiliation. It's the nature of the business.

Thing is, all footballers love pre season. If your not involved, then it sends a message.

I thought they all hated pre season? The endless fitness routines and such? Full disclosure I have never been a professional footballer :)

I must be missing something.

How, exactly, does a player asking to train away from the first squad reflect badly on the club?

I hear that Bent has done nothing wrong - but neither has Lambert by building the side with the players he wants. However, I do recall that Bent has been through a number of clubs and fallen out of favour with more than one manager. The common denominator is Bent.

Lambert just making it hard for them to stay so players can lower their wage demands so they can go elsewhere however I don't think it'll work with Ireland

Lambert just making it hard for them to stay so players can lower their wage demands so they can go elsewhere however I don't think it'll work with Ireland

Agreed. Bent has some pride and wants to play. Ireland is the new Habib Beye.

I don't really see the big problem here.

Bent is obviously on the transfer list (with both the player and the club wanting the same outcome) and isn't in the first teams plans. Hopefully (if not already) negotiations for his sale will begin and Bent could be required to talk to other clubs etc so why disrupt first team training in pre-season?

Pre-season should be pretty intense physically too - why run the risk of him getting injured. Keep him on a decent fitness program and wrap him up in cotton wool until he's sold.

The other thing is, PL talked about the new signings learning the language and body language of the other players - Bent's presence (albeit not personally) would be a distraction/futile excerise if he's going to be sold.

I take it Bent isn't the only omission? Surely Mssrs Ireland and Hutton are getting the same 'treatment'?

• Like 1

Why would you let 3 players who u hope will leave, an insight into your tactics, set pieces, ideas for the season. For them to take to other clubs. Also they arent going to be involved in any of these tactics so they would be standing along the line anyway.

Shows our other players that we are not scared to play hard ball, if needed.........plus the point mentioned about accepting a lower wage from a club that's has met our valuation but can't agree a wage with him.......

Why would you let 3 players who u hope will leave, an insight into your tactics, set pieces, ideas for the season. For them to take to other clubs. Also they arent going to be involved in any of these tactics so they would be standing along the line anyway.

I dont think that plays into it. 

Its simply telling them that they are no longer required. Being left out of of pre-season is a massive snub, and it should get their minds focussed on going elsewhere and pronto.

Agreed 'Electric Avenue' and where ever he does go he will score a bucket load of goals in the right system and probably one or two against us as well.

If Bent went to a team that created bucket loads of chances, he could score 15 to 20 goals for the next season or two. Thing is those teams good enough to create bucket loads of chances want a better player capable of converting 30 chances, not 15 to 20.

I think Bent's prime time has past. A 30 year old Bent could be decent for a middling club willing to play exactly the way Bent needs to get himself 15+ goals/season, but at what compromise to the effectiveness of the rest of their team?

I've seen good players leave us and I've almost dreaded them playing against us, only for them to have a 'mare. I've seen poor players leave us only for them to play well against us. Sod's law shouldn't dictate Bent's possible sale.

Those are all interesting points but where in my post have i said anything about sod's law dictating Bent's possible sale?

You are also alluding to the same conditions here which might be prevalent in other teams and how that will affect that team if they buy Bent. Any manager purchasing Bent will know exactly what he is good at and will probably have a system in place to get the best out of him and i don't think any manager would be stupid enough to purchase Bent irrespective of that.  

This point in preseason training is just about getting up to fitness.

Surely it will be easier to sell him if he is fit for the new season?

but he still going to be training. just not with 1st team

think people just jumping to conclusions

Thank you Messrs Houllier, McLeish, Lerner.

As I keep having to remind my Liverpool supporting colleague, his signing was a major factor in keeping us up that season, and I'm not convinced we'd be playing in the Premiership right now if he wasn't signed. He's been worth the money, in my opinion.

I was talking about the buying policy in general, overpaying (especially with regards to wages) for players with little resale value.

I accept that Bent probably kept us up (we'll never know for sure) but financially, it's partly due to players like him (high wages, nearing 30 so little resale value) that we have been almost crippled in the last few seasons. It's the general policy I'm unhappy with, not Bent in particular. Bent may have been worth it, but he was clearly a short-term fix at that time, brought it for an inordinate price, and him along with others who are on high wages as well but have contributed less than him are all pulling the club down financially.

Where did this training with the reserves come from? Is it an insult of just an exercise in practicality? Would it be more embarrassing to the transfer listed players to have them train in the first team but left out of tactical instructions, set-piece training? It's in everybody's interest to allow them to use the facilities and physiotherapists, a fit player is much easier to sell.

To think a mere 12 months ago, Lambert made Bent Captain of the playing squad. That didn't last long, I really think something went on behind the scenes that left Bent a marked man.

Or Lambert realised that Bent only scores goals and does nothing else. Cannot pass, cannot cross, cannot hold up the ball, cannot close people down... just runs off the last man and slots it home.

Agreed 'Electric Avenue' and where ever he does go he will score a bucket load of goals in the right system and probably one or two against us as well.

If Bent went to a team that created bucket loads of chances, he could score 15 to 20 goals for the next season or two. Thing is those teams good enough to create bucket loads of chances want a better player capable of converting 30 chances, not 15 to 20.

I think Bent's prime time has past. A 30 year old Bent could be decent for a middling club willing to play exactly the way Bent needs to get himself 15+ goals/season, but at what compromise to the effectiveness of the rest of their team?

I've seen good players leave us and I've almost dreaded them playing against us, only for them to have a 'mare. I've seen poor players leave us only for them to play well against us. Sod's law shouldn't dictate Bent's possible sale.

Those are all interesting points but where in my post have i said anything about sod's law dictating Bent's possible sale?

You are also alluding to the same conditions here which might be prevalent in other teams and how that will affect that team if they buy Bent. Any manager purchasing Bent will know exactly what he is good at and will probably have a system in place to get the best out of him and i don't think any manager would be stupid enough to purchase Bent irrespective of that.  

Sorry "Broken Moral Compass" but you need to change your avatar if you want anyone to read your posts, I can't keep my eyes from it more than 2 sec and even less concentrate on what you write! 

• Like 1

Â