• Walker
    • Downing
    • A Young
    • Makoun
    • Reo-Coker
    • Agbonlahor
    • Bent
    • Heskey (for Agbonlahor 90)

All the ball, all the line. And it definitely wasn't all of the ball over all of the line.

IMG_20110402_232523.jpg

As I've been saying all flipping day, it didn't go in. But everyone seems determined to assume it did. So we had 2 valid goals, they had 1 after their disgusting dive. We were robbed.

I think it was pretty much impossible to tell from the MOTD picks. I guess they didn't have that many cameras there because it wasn't a main game, so there won't be the same number of angles. Watching it in real time it looked over, but I guess we'll never know for sure.

It crossed the line for me. Their penalty should never have been given but maybe it has worked out fairly.

I went for Ash motm, but according to most comments in this thread he was poor second half. My stream was shocking second half but in the first 45 I thought he looked really good and hungry.

Carlos for Collins next game please.

We showed a lot of fight and I would have definitely taken a point before kick off so I'm reasonably happy, just a shame WBA and the blues won.

I can't see properly whether that crossed the line. However that was a blatent dive from Jageilka.

I was directly in line with the ball and it did not look in to me. I think that the TV replay is inconclusive therefore a goal should not be given.

The penalty was harsh and typical of the luck we are getting. It is the first penalty they have been awarded this season. However, JM2 should have been replaced 10 mins earlier by Delph and then the problem would not have arisen.

Men of the match were the 3,000 Villa fans who backed the team to the hilt.

We need that sort of support for the Newcastle game.

Can't believe how many are calling Jagielka a cheat! Ash wouldn't have done the same thing in the same situation? Come on! Ref and linesman got it wrong, for me. Jagielka didn't do anything any other player wouldn't have done... Makoun should have never given him the opportunity. If he had slid in the tackle he would have gotten the ball, as it was he ran to him, stopped, and allowed Jagielka to "glance" off his knee.

As to whether the ball crossed the line or not - who cares? It wasn't our goal. If it did - it's about time we had some luck, cos we haven't had much of that since August. And if it did - good. It allowed them to lose concentration so Bent could score our second... BTW, if it WAS our goal, would we be pissed off that it was disallowed?...

If we had been offered 2-2 before the game, how many here would not have taken it? Was a decent result considering recent performances. For me, Walker getting caught in posession created their first goal. Not much wrong with the defence all game really. An improvement on the recent past anyway.

Probably bring Carlos in for Walker (who I thought other than a few attacking runs, was less than average). And agreeing with some, I'd bring Petrov in for Makoun (who I don't think is up for a battle yet) - or maybe Albrighton, and move Downing or Ash central.

Having said that, I saw a team today that seemed to have a little more fight in them than previously. And I believe this result can give the lads some confidence for the "easier" matches in the run in.

FWIW, was impressed with Houllier appearing a little more "passionate" at times throughout the match, but, again, agreeing with some other sentiments in this thread, would have liked to have seen a feww subs earlier than the 89th minute...

Overall, a better performance across the park. Bring on Newcastle...

I thought Walker and Makoun both had their worst match for us. Whether any calls were right or wrong. We got a break that the goal wasn't allowed. We got a break that Bent wasn't called offside on his second. We got unlucky that the PK was awarded. I think it's the first time all year we got a more good luck than bad. Hope it's the beginning of a trend.

Oh, and anyone that wants to blame this draw on Houllier, has much more agenda than rationale.

I don't think Ash would have done the same. Young goes over easily when he thinks he has been fouled but this was something else again, whereby Jagielka clearly extended his leg a little to ensure that he caught Makoun's, and then dived to the ground after the slightest of contact. Big difference.

But we won't see too much in the media about it, because English players don't dive remember.

The other thing that shitted me was the speed with which the peno was given - a crucial match-changing decision and he had it awarded before Jagielka even hit the ground. How about take a second or two to process the scene first?

Everyone's favourite ref Graham Poll always goes on about 'the contact matching the fall' in his column in the Mail. The ever so slight contact was not commensurate with the double legged-arms out-screaming in pain 'effort' by Jagielka. He is a cheat and I hope karma visits him soon. As for the ref, I hope he enjoyed his last PL game for a while.

Horrible feeds from this one, sadly.

I need a few clarifications:

- Did we make any substitutions? I didn't see any (but the feed was in and out).

- Was Makoun lucky to stay on the field after that two-footed lunge? Or was it not as bad as the poor quality feed made it look?

- Was Beckford's goal across the line? I know some here are adamant that it wasn't, but it looked a goal even on the bad feed.

- Could tell Jagielka dived even with poor resolution. Not sure why the ref was so quick to put whistle to lips. Was it really that obvious?

- How does Collins get a guernsey? Never rated him. He was our problem in defense all the way back when people were slating Dunne at the beginning of last season. We need a new central defensive pairing.

Horrible feeds from this one, sadly.

I need a few clarifications:

- Did we make any substitutions? I didn't see any (but the feed was in and out).

- Was Makoun lucky to stay on the field after that two-footed lunge? Or was it not as bad as the poor quality feed made it look?

- Was Beckford's goal across the line? I know some here are adamant that it wasn't, but it looked a goal even on the bad feed.

- Could tell Jagielka dived even with poor resolution. Not sure why the ref was so quick to put whistle to lips. Was it really that obvious?

- How does Collins get a guernsey? Never rated him. He was our problem in defense all the way back when people were slating Dunne at the beginning of last season. We need a new central defensive pairing.

1) We didn't make any substitutions up until the 92nd minute for some reason. Heskey came on for Gabby.

2) Beckford's goal was across the line, although I couldn't tell whilst I was at the match. Replays have since confirmed that it was over.

3) It was an obvious dive from Jagielka, although Makoun's foot was out so I can see why the ref may have thought it was a pen.

4) No idea why Collins is playing. He was awful for Wales against England too more recently. Yesterday he was so out of the game it was unreal.

Anyway, I thought it was quite a decent game yesterday. It was end to end stuff and really could have gone either way.

However, both of the goals we conceded were poor. For the first one Walker shouldn't have given the ball away in such a silly position. Plus Friedel should have saved the shot anyway. For the second goal it shouldn't have been a penalty, yet Makoun shouldn't have gone to lunge in anyway.

Both of our goals were taken well by Bent and in the second half we played some good stuff. In the first half we were a bit messy, yet so were Everton. They were very fortunate to go in 1-0 up at half-time in my opinion. I have no idea what Houllier did at half-time, yet the players came out early and whatever was said seemed to work. We were like a different team in the second half.

The main concern for me is still the defence. It is so ropey it's unreal at times. Plus the fact that in the first half the players showed no fight. Why?! I'm confused as to why they looked like they couldn't give a toss in the first half. Another concern is the way the other results in the PL went. Before the match I would have been more than happy with a point, yet now it is not looking all that great. Shame we couldn't hold on for the final ten minutes and those two points may end up costing us. Newcastle is now a must win game, although I think it was always going to be anyway.

Oh, did anyone else think the Everton lot were really quiet? I was sat amongst them (awful stuff) and it was like a library. Although I they were quite witty with that 'going down my lord' chant, even if it did annoy me beyond belief. I could hear our supporters loud and clear though as usual.

MOTM for me is between Downing and Bent. Downing had a good second half and looked a constant threat. Bent also had a good second half and scored two very important goals from his only two chances.

Personally I think the ref was itching to give Everton a penalty after what happened for our 2nd goal, especially as we were away from home!

Id also like to see how many of those 'offside' calls would have been given against Gabby in the 1st half had we been at home.

I love the fact we have to spend £24 million on a striker just so we can snatch a draw against the Everton B team. All Makoun seems to be doing is getting sent off and giving away penalties - having said that it was a pretty poor decision from the ref. Will take a draw but under the circumstances we should have held on.

Â