James Collins

AngelGabriel

I guess that guy who bowed at his feet while he was warming up at the Burton game will be disappointed. Unless that was his way of saying goodbye...?

On his day, an excellent defender. I don't get to see as many games as I'd like live these days but I've seen him put his body on the line enough times. Think he'll get shipped out though due to the off-the-field stuff.

Let's face it, everyone has been crap this last season or two, would be interesting to see how much better they are capable of with someone like Lambert as manager.

Also linking to West Ham this morning.

Hutton & Collins need to be moved on, still think Dunne has a role to play, saying that i would love to see Vlaar partner Clark right from the off this season.

'

Would that be the role of Town Drunk? If so i'd rather get rid.

For someone on as high wage as Dunne you have to offer more than just experience.

If last season and the Euros are anything to go by i rather watch some new defender coping with adapting to the PL than watch Dunne degenerating for yet another season

Oh, and Collins can't go fast enough. He really can't...

If he does go to Sunderland he will do well there because he fits what MON wants his CB's to do. i.e block the ball and hoof it away.

When asked to do anything else he is really lacking.

I will be glad to see him go - think he is in general an average to ok defender but the amount of times he gives the ball away is staggering.

Add that to the fact he was part of a click that has ruined our club in last 2 years then good riddance.

Aston Villa hope to offload James Collins to Sunderland when they bring in fellow defender Ron Vlaar.

Villa are closing in on the signature of Feyenoord centre-back Vlaar, but while the 27-year-old has a buy-out clause, new boss Paul Lambert still has to balance the books.

Ahhhh...

So it is still "sell to buy".

If we've got to raise enough cash from the sale of Collins to afford Vlaar, I guess we can write that transfer off. :(

People should know that normally I have been the first to jump on any sign of potential criticism of the owner re our spend policy. However I have to say that I just do not believe that what you have suggested is the case at all, far from it.

What we have is not sell to buy, we have a replace shit with better policy. Get rid of those who we can and who are shit and replace with those who we can get and who are better.

Seems emminently reasonable to me

On Collins I will not be sad to see him go at all and I do believe he will be gone from us this summer.

I also believe others will be departing and we will similarly improve the quality, this does not mean we have to sell to buy. We did not sell Hutton before we bought Lowton for example.

What we have is not sell to buy, we have a replace shit with better policy. Get rid of those who we can and who are shit and replace with those who we can get and who are better.

While I'm very keen to believe that Randy Lerner has suddenly transformed his squad investment strategy from the unbalanced and staggering approach he has applied since he took over the club to something more focused and clever, I'm afraid I won't believe it until I see it.

What I have seen is that Vlaar came over to VP (for a chat with Lambert apparently), went back to the Netherlands making very positive statements about Villa and said "it's up to the clubs". Suddenly Lambert is playing it all down and then we get a story in the press about how he hopes to sell Collins to "balance the books". It's a perfectly reasonable interpretation that the purchase of Vlaar is on hold until some cash can be raised from the sale of Collins

So it's a question really of whether your formulation of "Get rid of those who we can and who are shit and replace with those who we can get and who are better" is just an obvious statement of the principle of building a better squad or if the manager is shackled by having to do one thing (get rid of the shit) before he can do the second (replace with better). Which would be "sell to buy" and also not very helpful in the case of Vlaar, whose availabilty is now broadcast to the market.

While I'm very keen to believe that Randy Lerner has suddenly transformed his squad investment strategy from the unbalanced and staggering approach he has applied since he took over the club to something more focused and clever, I'm afraid I won't believe it until I see it.

What I have seen is that Vlaar came over to VP (for a chat with Lambert apparently), went back to the Netherlands making very positive statements about Villa and said "it's up to the clubs". Suddenly Lambert is playing it all down and then we get a story in the press about how he hopes to sell Collins to "balance the books". It's a perfectly reasonable interpretation that the purchase of Vlaar is on hold until some cash can be raised from the sale of Collins

So it's a question really of whether your formulation of "Get rid of those who we can and who are shit and replace with those who we can get and who are better" is just an obvious statement of the principle of building a better squad or if the manager is shackled by having to do one thing (get rid of the shit) before he can do the second (replace with better). Which would be "sell to buy" and also not very helpful in the case of Vlaar, whose availabilty is now broadcast to the market.

I'm not saying you're wrong Briny but you've taken the best part of three different and unrelated sources (Vlaar, Lambert and i suspect a london rag) and put two and two together to make 5.

That's the kind of reading between the lines that the Mirror does!

If you take each on face value;

1. We want to sell Collins (and MON may or may not be interested);

2. Vlaar came over and was impressed and would like to sign; and

3. There's no imminent deal for Vlaar.

The sell to buy point is purely press speculation - No quotes from anyone or the club on that as far as i can see.

Nothing in there to suggest we wont buy Vlaar before getting rid. it might happen that way and indeed that might actually be required but it does annoy me when people regurgitate the press speculation only.

It's fair to say that all 3 points above are true but its then a leap of pure faith to suggest that all means we are waiting to sell first. Like i said i'm not saying it's not in fact the case but i can't see that from the reports.

Â