Alan Hutton

Rich_D

I don't rate him and I don't think his recent (undeniable) improvement has brought him higher than 'average' tier. Still, having him out is probably a bad thing. Herd would be his best replacement but we need Herd in the centre. Cuellar would also be a good option at RB but we need him at CB over Clark. I just don't know about relying on players like Lichaj when we're in a precarious situation. Lichaj has potential but inexperienced players like him are a gamble in the tense, hostile atmosphere we'll be feeling until the end of the season.

Think Hutton could be one of our more consistent defenders next season. Like as has been mentioned, he seems to have benefitted greatly from back to back appearances and probably has more good games now than bad. I do like Lichaj, but he might have the occasional blinder and then get found out by his obvious lack of experience.

I think Lichaj is big and confident enough in his ability to step in at right back. American international and had a decent loan spell at Leeds last season. He's like 22/23 too.

I too think he's more than ready for a run in the team. Hutton got about 30 games to find some form and although he has been much better of late as someone pointed out it appears that at his best Hutton is an average player, at his worst he has been one of the worst players I have ever seen start games regularly in the Premier League. I would rather give one of our kids a chance to win the job.

Think Hutton could be one of our more consistent defenders next season. Like as has been mentioned, he seems to have benefitted greatly from back to back appearances and probably has more good games now than bad. I do like Lichaj, but he might have the occasional blinder and then get found out by his obvious lack of experience.

Yeah consistently out of the team please. Eric Lichaj is a defender and does his job. Hutton's a defender, but it always tippy toeing forward leaving us totally exposed at the back. Thats what I call a liability.

Has anyone actually studied Hutton's play?

I'm a STH in the Doug Ellis lower and have the displeasure of seeing him skipping up and down the right wing every home match. I mean he's a defender, right? Which is very odd considering he rarely makes a tackle, and when he does it usually results in him receiving a yellow or red card. I cringe when an attacker is in our box with the ball at his feet and that clown is anywhere near the action. He usually puts his hands behind his back and does that embarrassing impression of a ballet dancer pointing his toes, or he dives in and cuts the guy in half.

On a more positive note, Hutton's positional play is abysmal and his distribution is absolutely dreadful. He reminds me of a young kid in a school football team, the one who thinks he's a winger but plays at the back because he can't stay in position, can't dribble, and has no end product when it comes to getting the ball into the box.

I'm alarmed at just how shiny the guys head is when the sun is out or the lights are on Villa Park, I reckon he polishes it before he leaves on a match day

I'll finish by saying that if Alan Hutton is the benchmark for a regular in the Aston Villa 1st team, then there really is no hope at all...Get shot of him sharpish!

He usually puts his hands behind his back and does that embarrassing impression of a ballet dancer pointing his toes...

:lol: I actually like this about Hutton, possibly the only thing I do like.

The hands behind the back thing only started after he'd got away with a couple of handballs in the penalty area which could have cost us games. Clearly he got a bollocking over it. I like to imagine some kind of Clockwork Orange style brainwashing: strapped into a chair, eyes prised open, thumping classical music over a harrowing montage of hapless handballing defenders...

The result: though he might often forget where the hell he is on the pitch, though he might tackle like a combine harvester on fire, and though he crosses a ball as if he's trying to shake a wasp's nest off his foot... nevertheless, he never forgets to stick his hands behind his back.

This single instruction to Hutton is possibly the closest that Eck has ever come to implementing an actual successful game plan.

• 2 weeks later...

How can a professional footballer playing in the Premiership be that bad at being able to kick the ball. I meant, it's quite a basic requirement of a footballer yet he seems to struggle as he waltzes down the right flank only to attempt to cross the ball but instead fall over and connect with the ball so it rolls about 10 yards into the path of the opposition. I've not seen anyone this bad since.....oh bollocks, Emile Heskey.

He was terrible today - possibly his worst performance in a Villa shirt.

And that really is one hell of a statement.

He was awful - he'd gotten himself up to so-so on recent performances, but I'm done with him now, he's awful, awful defensively, awful coming forwards, slow, technically poor and capable of strings of very poor decisions.

Cuellar, Lichaj and Herd are all better right backs. My only concern is that if Warnock is injured, Lichaj will have to stay at left back and Herd is better off in midfield.

Hutton should be shipped back to Rangers pronto, where they can afford to pay him the sort of money he deserves.

Â