Alan Hutton

Rich_D

Depth what depth, we just sold our only experienced right back. Lichaj has had one premier league start and was awful and Herd is a centre mid but did a decent job filling in for 1 week.

I would have prefered to have kept Young tbh. Hutton is a over-rated right back imo.

I think they are of very similar ability, buy Young is 32 on higher wages and his contract is up at the end of the season. Getting £2 million and buying Hutton is a no brainier to me, essentially he will be free after a year with Youngs fee and saving in wages.

You have to remember this is the guy MON never played EVER.

Decent bit of business for me. Think he'll be an improvement on Young especially with him getting on a bit.

Although won't the extra 1.5m spent on him cancel out the difference in wages?

Well im guessing he will be on least £10k less a week than Young which is £0.5 million straight away, and i think the Young fee was closer to £2 million.

Very pleased with Hutton. Always rated him and now playing with a manager who will get the best out of him. Has a lion's heart and will become a fans favourite.

Luke Young never let us down and I wish him the best but it was clear watching him this season that he is very reluctant to overlap. I think Mcleish's system needs overlapping fullbacks.

Poor signing of a poor player we didn't really need in a position we have some depth!

Really????

I'll admit it's not an exciting transfer but certainly no poor one either!

As for depth - are you counting the currently injured Cuellar (not to mention he's a centre back), injured and untested Lichaj or the rookie Herd (with one match under his belt and more of a centre midfielder) as options????

We need a right fullback and we've got one - one who's played for McLeish and alongside Bannan (internationally), Bent and Jenas which is a bonus!

Poor signing of a poor player we didn't really need in a position we have some depth!

Really????

I'll admit it's not an exciting transfer but certainly no poor one either!

As for depth - are you counting the currently injured Cuellar (not to mention he's a centre back), injured and untested Lichaj or the rookie Herd (with one match under his belt and more of a centre midfielder) as options????

We need a right fullback and we've got one - one who's played for McLeish and alongside Bannan (internationally), Bent and Jenas which is a bonus!

this...hes better than what we currently have. but then of course these people still would have moaned that we dont need a RB if we signed sergio ramos :winkold:

I would have prefered to have kept Young tbh. Hutton is a over-rated right back imo.

I think they are of very similar ability, buy Young is 32 on higher wages and his contract is up at the end of the season. Getting £2 million and buying Hutton is a no brainier to me, essentially he will be free after a year with Youngs fee and saving in wages.

You have to remember this is the guy MON never played EVER.

MON played him at left back for a season and then switched him to right back. I think the thing with his brother messed up his head and that's when he was frozen out.

Speaking to a few Sunderland fans and they reckon Hutton is a top notch full back and they would have had him in a shot. They also think that Given and N'Zogbia combined with Hutton for £17m is probably the best bit of business in the window.

Quotes from their message board:

villa may end up having had a good window

quality not quantity

Can defend and bombs down the wing giving us good attacking options.

Like that last bit but with N'Zogbia on the right it may leave that side exposed to counter attacks.

I'm a bit baffled by the people saying we have depth at Right back!

Why? I've got no qualms about playing Chris Herd there in Hutton's absence, and Cuellar is also perfectly capable if McLeish wants to use him that way. Lichaj is fine too.

Compared to the days when Martin O'Neill's choice was between Mellberg and Reo-Coker, the right-back position is certainly not one I'm worried about this season.

100% with you there. Seems to me the signing of Hutton was an essential bit of business to fill a gaping hole. If he gets injured, we will be back to having to slot in Lichaj, Herd or Cuellar, all of whom have their drawbacks.

indeed, we have injured cuellar who we tried to palm off on rangers, we have lichaj who is out for 4 months and we were trying to palm off on someone and we have herd who had 1 good game against wolverhampton wanders.

that doesnt leave much

i have not seen hutton play very much and it is obvious 4 years ago he was rated so there must be a player in there

Â