• Downing
    • A Young
    • Makoun
    • Petrov
    • Agbonlahor
    • Bent
    • Albrighton (for Petrov 83)
    • Heskey (for Agbonlahor 86)

Downing motm for me but that's not saying much. Petrov is currently a complete liability, coker should definitely start with makoun at blackpool.

Downing the riddle you mean? You never know what to get from him. I'm beginning to turn a bit on him to be frank. He is too patchy...

vs. Man.Utd: Downing cross, Bent scores.

vs. Fulham: Downing cross, Pantsil scores (og).

Sure, and those were great. But I just think he can do so much better and don't doubt.

Maybe I just have higher thought of him. Overall this season he is the player of the year.

Downing motm for me but that's not saying much. Petrov is currently a complete liability, coker should definitely start with makoun at blackpool.

Downing the riddle you mean? You never know what to get from him. I'm beginning to turn a bit on him to be frank. He is too patchy...

vs. Man.Utd: Downing cross, Bent scores.

vs. Fulham: Downing cross, Pantsil scores (og).

Sure, and those were great. But I just think he can do so much better and don't doubt.

Maybe I just have higher thought of him. Overall this season he is the player of the year.

Agreed.

wasted my season ticket today due to an extreme hangover seems i made the right choice. Same shit diferant day then? points dropped in a winnable game at home, Threw away the lead twice. Nice to see walker on the score sheet though, has he scored more than gabby has all season in the prem now then lol?

Firstly, we need to get the players playing in their proper positions. Gabby laft wing? How many times does GH expect him to beat his man and cross the ball in? That's what a winger does.

Secondly, did Schwarzer actually make a save? He came out and punched a corner away (See that Brad? It works, **** try it sometime!). Apart from that, Schwarzer picked the ball out of his net twice and that's about it.

Bent's movement isn't great. Gabby's is woeful. Petrov was very poor, then he sticks a toe in and wins the ball back and I think he's ok again. We need more energy from our central midfielders. I hope Bradley is the answer. Why, when we really need Dunne and Collins to win the ball in the middle of our six yard box (because Brad won't come and punch it) do they go missing and we concede?

In truth, Villa play some neat and tidy football but go backwards when we get into the attacking third. Bent is isolated and needs the ball a lot earlier than he's getting it. Clark is a central defender playing at left back, it showed today. A team in progress but any more performances like that today and we are still in a relegation battle. Very disappointing. Fulham are a nothing club. Functional, boring to watch and yet we didn't look like beating them, even when we went two-one up.

Shame that we drew to be honest, thought we deserved the three points.

Weak points?

Gabby at left wing? We have arguably 4 players in Albrighton, Young, Bannan & Downing who can play that position better. Gabby is a striker!!

Petrov was abismal again today. Never rated the guy since he left Celtic. His backwards passing (under no pressure) is extremely frustrating even though we got Walker's goal from it. He's the weakest link in our team, has been and will be till he leaves AVFC. NRC should have started, if not Salifou (who would arguably do a better job).

Friedel didn't turn up.

Positives?

Downing played well and worked hard. Thought Benty's movement was fantastic (shame about the supply) and Makoun's vision and passing was TOP CLASS.

Friedel - 5

Walker - 6

Dunne - 6

Collins - 6

Clark - 6

Petrov - 2

Makoun - 7

Downing - 7

Gabby - 5

Young - 6

Benty - 7

UTV!

Next week against Blackpool we need to go with:

strikers - Bent and Heskey

midfielders - Downing, Bradley, Makoun, Young

defenders - Walker, Cuellar, Collins, Clarke

goalkeeper - Friedel

Bench - Dunne, Reo Coker, Albrighton, Delfouneso, Delph, Bannan, Marshall

Dropped - Agbonlahor, Petrov and the rest.

IMO that's a bit harsh on gabby, it's not his fault he's being played in a position GH should know by now he can't.

Makoun is quite something. Petrov, on the other hand, is on borrowed time. Yes I know NRC is very likely on his way in the summer, but I'd have played him over Stan easily today. Its to be hoped Bradley lives up to expectations.

Don't need to add anything about players 'out of position' because its already been done to death. But, having bought a tried and tested goal machine, they need to play the simple, obvious passes to him instead of trying desperately to score themselves. Put it on a plate for him and he'll stick it away.

Very disappointing. Fulham are a nothing club. Functional, boring to watch and yet we didn't look like beating them, even when we went two-one up.

Hmm, nor did Spurs.

I think you are talking off the fulham last year. They have been on a good run for a while.

Fulham are a poor team and the evidence of that was there today.

One step forward two steps back is about how I feel at the minute.

Dunne and Collins get their act together so Friedel decides to have an afternoon off. WTF is it about Villa this season? Are they determined to make the fans as pissed off as possible or something? Yes, the off the pitch transfer activity was nice, but the results have gone against us again today and we cannot afford to be drawing with Fulham at Villa Park, no matter who they beat last week.

Ratings:

Friedel - 4 Made a good 1 on 1 save from Johnson, but was at fault for both goals.

Clarke Dunne & Collins - 6 Steady

Walker - I thought he was garbage apart from his goal today. Crossing was shite, passing was shite, although he worked hard. 5

Makoun - 6 Not as effective as he has been and gave the ball away a bit.

Petrov - 5 Poor game.

Downing - 7 Set up the goal and put some dangerous balls in

Gabby - 5 Like a member of 4chan, he was anonymous.

Bent - Had zero service to feed off

Ash - Totally wasted up front. Needs to chalk his boots too. I know it was vlowing a gale, but this has been going on for some time.

Heskey & Albrighton - Not on long enough to rate.

I reckon we'll do better at Blackpool. They'll play a 4-3-3 and look to attack which means we can break with pace. We always struggle when the onus is on us to break another team down, but Blackpool will come at us. Either that or Charlie Adam will get a hat-trick..... :(

For me, next game would be:

-----------Friedel----------

Cuellar---Collins---Dunne----Clark

------Makoun-----Reo-Coker-------

------------ Bannan--------------

Downing------------Young

-------------Bent-----------------

Makoun and Coker to sit tight and protect the back four. Bannan to ping the ball around and get the ball wide or sneak the through ball to Bent if it's on. He's the only player we have that has the ability to weight the passes just right. Downing and Young to break with pace.

Mandeep Sanghera reports: Plenty of entertainment on show at Villa Park and not much to separate two teams who showed why they have improved in recent weeks.

WTF? Entertainment? It was like a **** pub league game.

Not a terrible performance but a disappointing result, we didn't create a lot for Bent (or anyone for that matter) which hopefully we can rectify. Blackpool next week is a massive game and a win would be fantastic, I hope we take out our frustration from today and make Holloway cry next Saturday. Don't push the panic button just yet guys.

Keep the faith. UTV

To be honest I have not a lot to moan about, we played much better football today in the first half. The one thing that frustrates me is if we don't pass the ball forward within 5 seconds of a player receiving a ball everyone groans and moans!

Also have another gripe with those who booed at the end of the game. We drew, we didn't lose!

Just on another note....Downing man of the match??? He got my applause and cheers in the holte as I'm a fan but I truly thought he was dreadful. Whenever he had an opportunity to cross it he just passed it back or lost it.

Next week against Blackpool we need to go with:

strikers - Bent and Heskey

midfielders - Downing, Bradley, Makoun, Young

defenders - Walker, Cuellar, Collins, Clarke

goalkeeper - Friedel

Bench - Dunne, Reo Coker, Albrighton, Delfouneso, Delph, Bannan, Marshall

Dropped - Agbonlahor, Petrov and the rest.

IMO that's a bit harsh on gabby, it's not his fault he's being played in a position GH should know by now he can't.

He is a shadow of his former self. Dropping him may give him the kick up the arse he needs.

So frustrating down at VP today and have to blame Ged for that. So many errors in his selection:

- Carlos has to play at CB, he is our best defender by a long way IMO

- Downing played well today I thought (MOTM) but would be so much better on the LEFT

- Ash needs to be out wide

- Gabby is not a winger

- Petrov has been consistently crap this season and was again today. I would struggle to give him any points and agree with GNeeUs:

Petrov was abismal again today. Never rated the guy since he left Celtic. His backwards passing (under no pressure) is extremely frustrating even though we got Walker's goal from it. He's the weakest link in our team, has been and will be till he leaves AVFC. NRC should have started, if not Salifou (who would arguably do a better job)

I can't believe he got 4 votes for MOTM. I could only think of his mum, his hairdresser and MON but there must be a fourth "involved" person out there. He gave a careless free kick away today by letting the ball run across his body in the middle of the park when he had loads of time and space to stop it which eventually led to the corner they scored from. He turned his back on Vidic's strike on Tuesday night instead of throwing his body in the way which turned the tide back in their favour. He is making mistakes left right and centre now and, if I was Coker, I would be really pee'd off. This is not Stan's fault and is nothing against him - he just hasn't got the energy to play at this level any more.

As for the ratings:

Brad - 5 - mistakes creeping in. He remains a great shot stopper but he no longer commands his area. New keeper required in the summer.

Walker - 5 (+1 for the goal). Did okay, particularly coming forward, but still has a lot to learn defensively.

Dunne & Collins - 5 - okay, but Carlos is better than both IMO.

Clark - 6 - did reasonably well against Duff.

Downing - 8 - MOTM - looked good BUT could look even better out on the left.

Makoun - 7 - very intelligent passer BUT I would like to see him vary it a bit more and hold onto it some times - he almost looks like the ball is a hot coal and he wants to play it first time every time.

Petrov - 2 - see above.

Gabby - 4 - not a left winger.

Ash - 4 - he is a winger!!

Bent - 5 - worked hard but playing with scraps. Should have done better with one clear effort.

Ged - 2 - v poor. Selections wrong IMO. Formations wrong IMO. Subs too late.

Â