The Arab Spring and "the War on Terror"

legov

Thing is, when you've got an under-educated rabble, it's quite easy to whip them up into a righteous frenzy. And they obviously enjoy the excuse for a riot (especially when they are tooled up with AK-47s).

It's the educated ones (doctors, etc.) that worry me. I think that they are more motivated by political than theological factors, but still...

It's actually the educated ones that I have a glimmer of hope about. The educated class of Iran (albeit not Arab) is largely pro-West, pro secular government.
Yes, and I agree.

But there HAVE been some highly educated suicide bombers, etc.

Christianity is comfortably middle aged. Islam is an angry teenager, it's 600 years younger, it's mediaeval. When Christianity was that age, it too was crazy, and violent, and crusading. But as people have pointed out in this thread, the weapons are different now.

We won't see the cosy, easy-going version of Islam in our lifetime, sadly.

Im finding the whole thing quite hilarious. The film itself was piss poor and not really funny at all but the reaction has been great to watch.

I dunno about that.

One of the diplomats killed in Benghazi was a Something Awful moderator and member of Goonswarm. I didn't know Sean Smith personally but being a user of that forum and an ex-member of Goonswarm myself, its not really that funny to learn someone you played alongside in a video game has just been brutally murdered by a bunch of barbaric, brain dead pieces of shit in the name of an imaginary friend.

The US is hated because it is the current leader of a block of countries that live by a different set of rules and dominate the world. Their crime is twofold: being more powerful than the Muslim countries, and not being Muslim themselves.

Is that really the reason?

China is also more powerful and not muslim but the arab world doesn't have anything against China.

Furthermore, The US government is hated by a lot of western non muslim people as well so I think you might have missed the mark there.

I agree entirely with Awol, indeed the moment I read that, I thought 'How beautifully put'.

The reason the muslims have nothing against China is that the Chinese are the new kids on the block and Islam has been too busy hating us to have moved so quickly onto anyone else... there is also the small matter of Israel to consider.

The people here who don't like the US are generally failed lefties who have envied the wealth and power of the Americans for decades. Personally, I love the Yanks, despite not eating McDonalds, drinking CocaCola or watching their god awful Hollywood films... though I do like the sound of the current piss taker.

Christianity is comfortably middle aged. Islam is an angry teenager, it's 600 years younger, it's mediaeval. When Christianity was that age, it too was crazy, and violent, and crusading. But as people have pointed out in this thread, the weapons are different now.

Also very well put, Mr Mooney, yet the problem remains that, as 500 years ago, indeed until Darwin and beyond, some one had to face these Christian monsters down... and the same applies today with the disgusting rubbish called Islam.

I think every non-Islam country in the world should put up a video of Muhammad at the same time. They wont have a clue who to start war with first, hopefully it will just confuse their little brains and they'll start shooting each other in the name of Allah.

Also very well put, Mr Mooney, yet the problem remains that, as 500 years ago, indeed until Darwin and beyond, some one had to face these Christian monsters down... and the same applies today with the disgusting rubbish called Islam.

EDIT.

Can't be arsed to argue.

China is also more powerful and not muslim but the arab world doesn't have anything against China.

This begins to change. The Muslims of China have become more fractious recently. The Chinese bulldozed a couple of mosques. Not deliberately to piss off the locals, they were in the way of new developments. State comes first and all - down they came and the locals kicked off.

... the people here who don't like the US are generally failed lefties who have envied the wealth and power of the Americans for decades.

Most Americans I meet are deeply ashamed of their country's actions over the last couple of decades. How do you think the rest of the world feels?

I think the problem most Americans have is that we don't know what to do anymore. Should we help? Should we bomb them? Which government is on our side? Do we stay and rebuild or do you want us to get out?

Of course, I've always maintained that we should just get out there. We've tried to pick winners and losers in that region for so long that we end up being losers every time. The focus should be on containing expansion and protecting the state, not trying to promote our version of democracy into countries that have no interest in being "like" the West.

But then there's that whole Israel problem. Sigh.

I think the problem most Americans have is that we don't know what to do anymore. Should we help? Should we bomb them? Which government is on our side? Do we stay and rebuild or do you want us to get out?

Of course, I've always maintained that we should just get out there. We've tried to pick winners and losers in that region for so long that we end up being losers every time. The focus should be on containing expansion and protecting the state, not trying to promote our version of democracy into countries that have no interest in being "like" the West.

But then there's that whole Israel problem. Sigh.

Yes, getting out would be a good start. Stopping bombing people would help as well. As would not "picking winners and losers", which sounds like disinterestedly placing a bet about who will win, rather than active destabilisation, undermining, removal and assassination of leaders who are deemed unhelpful, whether democratically elected or not.

I'm sure those things would go down well.

Â