The Arab Spring and "the War on Terror"

legov

Think its time we revoke all international aid to these countries

Attacking our embassies? Think its time we no longer pay them for the privilege

Especially with all these cuts in our own country and everybody struggling

Taking the piss imo

The reason the muslims have nothing against China is that the Chinese are the new kids on the block and Islam has been too busy hating us to have moved so quickly onto anyone else... there is also the small matter of Israel to consider.

I would have thought that (apart from the small matter of Israel) the muslims have nothing against China because China hasn't invaded any muslim countries, causing hundreds of thousands of muslim deaths; China doesn't publicly abduct foreign muslims it suspects of being anti-Chinese and put them in camps where they are tortured and held in prison-like conditions with no prospect of release and no prospect of even a trial to establish whether or not there is any sort of legitimate grievance against them; China doesn't have a record of propping up brutal dictators purely because they act in China's interests; China doesn't shake its fists and threaten violence against people who act against them out of ignorance, religious belief and stupidity.

Sudan is a mess. It'll need to be dealt with at some point. By who? **** knows.

I have a brother in the army he seems to think the most likely place for it to kick off next after Afghan is Somalia

I know for one that i wouldn't want to fight in either Sudan or Somalia

I know for one that i wouldn't want to fight in either Sudan or Somalia

There's not a whole lot I'd like to do in either of those other than GTFO.

There is an awful lot of oil in both actually..

There was a protest in Muscat today after Friday prayers (purely coincidence you understand..) but it was extremely civilised, no violence and no threats of violence.

Credit to the Omani's they are a different class to their more primitive co-religionists.

Think its time we revoke all international aid to these countries

Attacking our embassies? Think its time we no longer pay them for the privilege

Especially with all these cuts in our own country and everybody struggling

Taking the piss imo

The "aid" doesn't flow in the direction you seem to think. They would be a lot wealthier if we, the US and others had never set foot there.

Well you know, we need the oil. Can't fully take our hand out of the cookie jar.

lack of education

Lack of historical and geo political education amongst the USA military and political leaders.

Lack of general education amongst the victimised poor of middle eastern / african countries.

Lack of desire to find alternative energy and more energy efficient things. As mentioned elsewhere, take all the money spent bombing the shit out of poor uneducated people and spend it on something a bit more constructive.

Time to alter our foreign policy and GTFO?

GTFO of where? We're leaving Afghan in 2014 but it's basically over from the end of this year anyway.

I didn't mean it in a military sense, more political. I know it's probably not a good idea, it just seems to me as if western presence in the Arab world is antagonistic as much as helpful.

Just not Iran, we need to keep an eye on them, lest they decide to nuke us or something.

Time to alter our foreign policy and GTFO?

GTFO of where? We're leaving Afghan in 2014 but it's basically over from the end of this year anyway.

I didn't mean it in a military sense, more political. I know it's probably not a good idea, it just seems to me as if western presence in the Arab world is antagonistic as much as helpful.

No doubt there is some truth in that, thing is this latest exercise in Islamic bed wetting is due to nothing more than a couple of Egyptian Americans making a crappy film and banging it on youtube. Not bombing or killing, just making a crappy video.

The reaction across half a dozen countries up to and including murder is simply bonkers and utterly unjustifiable. Why now have the attacks started extending to the embassies of nations with no connection to this saga at all? Because they don't really care what country is involved, we're all infidels at the end of the day.

I think this sums it up in The Onion: No One Murdered Because Of This Image

It's scary isn't it? Regardless of what happens, I very much doubt the western world will ever be viewed as anything other than dangerous and polluting to certain cultures/religions/governments.

I certainly wouldn't want to be a British or American diplomat in the Middle East or North Africa at the moment.

Â