Nathan Baker

AVFC-Prideofbrum

Bennett's been worth his place recently but this would be a case of squad rotation and strengthening for set pieces.

We're likely to be pressed back, defending deep the whole game so Bennett's pace is not going to be used much.

Man Utd have scored 0 goals on counter attack this season but top the set piece league with 20.

http://www.whoscored.com/Regions/252/Tournaments/2/Seasons/3389/Stages/6531/TeamStatistics/England-Premier-League-2012-2013

Forgive me if I have misunderstood, but are you saying you want Baker at LB now? You spent a day arguing with people, and me, about how he shouldn't be on the left of a back three a while back. Because in your view, he was too big and cumbersome to cope with wingers. Now you want him at fullback against a team with the some of the best agile wingers in the business?

Edited by Kingfisher

Forgive me if I have misunderstood, but are you saying you want Baker at LB now? You spent a day arguing with people, and me, about how he shouldn't be on the left of a back three a while back. Because in your view, he was too big and cumbersome to cope with wingers. Now you want him at fullback against a team with the some of the best agile wingers in the business?

That's true, but this is an exception. Against Man Utd he's not going to need speed or agility, he's got to be good at set pieces.

Man Utd 0 counter-attack goals this season (lowest in league) 20 set piece goals (highest in league).

Adapt your tactics and selections to the team you play.

Edited by Con

Of course we won't, I mean, it's not like Valencia, Nani, Kagawa or Ashley Young have any pace...

If you're going to go down that route, put Clark at LB since he's quicker than Baker and provides more heading and aerial ability than Bennett, though I think you play Football Manager far too much and it's gone to your head.

Edited by Ginko

That's true, but this is an exception. Against Man Utd he's not going to need speed or agility, he's got to be good at set pieces.

Man Utd 0 counter-attack goals this season (lowest in league) 20 set piece goals (highest in league).

Adapt your tactics and selections to the team you play.

Not many teams push forward against United so that might effect their counter attack stats. Counter attack is only one form of attack and I can't see them relying on set pieces to be honest. I think they will attack, through the middle, the left, and the right, and if in any game you needed a quick agile full back I'd imagine it would be this one.  

Man Utd didn't play particularly well against Stoke, so I think we should take a look at how they set up against them and then tweak it a little. I know we're not as big a team as they are, and I know we won't have a lot of possession but we can certainly have a go and have the players to score. That is, as long as Benteke plays, whoever it was who suggested switching him out for Bent is either quite mad or pretty much admitting defeat already and using it as an opportunity to rest him for the more winnable games after, which isn't necessarily the wrong thing to do I suppose.

Edited by Ginko

• 3 weeks later...

Just wondering if anyone else thinks that Baker is a liability? I like his attitude, strength, and his aerial ability, but he seems to be lacking almost everything else you'd want of a defender - no pace, rash decision making, often in the wrong position, zero skill on the ball. He seems to be getting a free pass at the moment, and I just don't understand it when Bennett, Lichaj, even Vlaar get torn apart for their defensive performances. In the first half against Sunderland, Baker looked completely out of his depth. He did okay against Norwich because Holt and Hoolahan are the slowest front two in football. How on earth this guy is the answer at LB against big 4 opposition is beyond me. We seem to think he's some kind of Ivanovich. I'd hope that top of PL's list would be an experienced centre half, maybe even two. It's the one position where youthful exuberance doesn't get you anywhere.

I rate him as the best defensive prospect I've seen to come through the ranks at Villa, better than Cahill. I think he has a big future in the game. He's tough, strong good in the air and getting better by the game. He's establishing himself as our #1 CB, and it's getting to be not a case of who should partner Vlaar, but who should partner Baker. IMHO.

Yeah I also think he's been better than Vlaar. Vlaar really worries me, and i'm really not sure on how good he actually is. But Baker has a big future ahead of him. If he can work on his concentration a little and gain experience through consistently playing I think he can really be a big player. 

I hope you're right, but I think his lack of pace is something that's going to trouble him for the rest of his career. He looks good against lumbering target men, but I'm worried a quick, technical team like Chelsea will tear him apart. Agree on Vlaar, though.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone think he was unlucky to miss out on the u21 squad? Tom Lees and Craig Dawson chosen ahead of him despite playing Championship football all season. Hard to argue about Caulker being ahead of him - but Wisdom has played most of his football at right back.

Rambling off topic but it looks like a really poor squad. Forwards in particular.

He strikes me as an old fashioned CB - Up for the header, Crunch into the tackle - Internationals look for more ball control and the ability to bring the ball from defence.

He's done well enough for me - but not well enough to be our first choice CB come August. I d put him ahead of Clark

don't know if people care about about squad numbers, but i feel he deserves the number 5 once dunne leaves. I seem to be one of very few who feel that it is Vlaar that needs replacing, not Baker/Clark. I just don't rate Vlaar at all anymore i'm afraid. Had a season to show signs of improvement and hasn't for me. Baker bosses the defence, only in flashes and patches, but at least the potential is there

Â