Nathan Baker

AVFC-Prideofbrum

Before the match my heart sank when Vlaar was out and Baker was in, I'll admit it. But I'm so pleasantly surprised, and couldn't be happier for the lad. He's got some stick over the last few years, sometimes warranted sometimes not, but today he showed what it means I be a professional CB. He stepped up and smashed it. Good lad.

I think it's taught me to have more faith in the side that's picked, players are usually in there for a reason.

Edited by alreadyexists

I've criticized Baker in the past but today he was a rock and fair play to the lad as he never ever gives less than 100%.

It clearly helped having a decent full back down his side and a midfield unit in front that was organized and worked its bollocks off.

Massive credit to him today - a lot of fans, on here too, have been unfairly critical of him and he came up trumps. Nice one Nath!

Care to explain how fans gave been unfairly critical? He was awful last season and didn't deserve any credit or would you disagree?

• Like 1

One Swallow does not a summer make blah blah but that's the point, he was good today now he it has to keep it up as the last 2 seasons he has been a liability.

I really hope he can but I've no confidence in him.

Him and Clark have made clangers, but out of the two, he's made fewer, and there is now a better team around him. Could it possibly be that some of his previous poor performances were partly down to playing alongside Herd/ Lowton/ Luna/ Bennett/ Clark (etc etc etc)? I don't think he's a bad player. I think he easily good enough to stick around as a backup/ rotation/ League Cup player.

Â