Jean II Makoun

dudevillaisnice

better players than makoun have failed here.

A subjective notion but I'm interested to who you think they are.

If 'here' is the Premier League then:

Veron

Shevchenko

Forlan

Rebrov

Marlet

Dzeko

Poulsen

agree with first 3 but the rest aren't better players than makoun

Dzeko... how long has he been in England again!? Jaysus, do football fans know what patience is!?

Downing incidentally was slagged off almost all last year, "can't tackle, can't shot, useless". On other forums I found myself one of few actually pleading his case. This year, according to the Fink Tank he has been the third best player this season. (In The Times today I think.) I think Makoun will have a very good season next year. Milner didn't look top banana, far from it, when he joined permanently.

Not everyone can make a roaring start to their Villa careers.

I hate to think what kind of stick Dazza would've gotten from some fans had he not got off to such a flying start.
It would be unbearable. I still remember the posters from the Milner 'is abysmal' crew, such the stupidity was burnt onto my brain.

I can see why people have issues with Makoun; he's from a foreign league, a Houllier signing, being sent off, inconsistency and the fact, if he produces what he is able to he will rightly replace Petrov in the midfield.

Still, we live in hope.

better players than makoun have failed here.

A subjective notion but I'm interested to who you think they are.

If 'here' is the Premier League then:

Veron

Shevchenko

Forlan

Rebrov

Marlet

Dzeko

Poulsen

I read it to mean Villa but the Prem is littered with them.

It's a lazy comparison possibly, but no less valid for it, but Makoun reminds me exactly of Berson. Neat and tidy with an eye for a pass, but with no pace and can't tackle. Berson never looked terrible, but it was clear to me early on that he wouldn't be a success in the Premier League, and I feel the same about Makoun.

The fact he can't tackle can be over looked. After all, Delph is a poor tackler and someone has been at Man Utd for years and still can't tackle.

.....seems like a dying art then.

It's a lazy comparison possibly, but no less valid for it, but Makoun reminds me exactly of Berson. Neat and tidy with an eye for a pass, but with no pace and can't tackle. Berson never looked terrible, but it was clear to me early on that he wouldn't be a success in the Premier League, and I feel the same about Makoun.

me too.

I hate to think what kind of stick Dazza would've gotten from some fans had he not got off to such a flying start.
It would be unbearable. I still remember the posters from the Milner 'is abysmal' crew, such the stupidity was burnt onto my brain.

I can see why people have issues with Makoun; he's from a foreign league, a Houllier signing, being sent off, inconsistency and the fact, if he produces what he is able to he will rightly replace Petrov in the midfield.

Still, we live in hope.

I still don't rate Milner that highly and never have done...as for your suspicions of why some folk, have difficulty in getting too carried away on Makoun is simply this from me.....Nothing to do with the speculation you make.

1. Lacks physical presence, that can be overcome if you are small and world class.

2. I look for effectiveness in a midfield player, whether it be someone who always has time on the ball ,can spray passes to effect or a downright ugly destroyer who can turn defence in to attack. The operative word is EFFECTIVE..... I see that in very few of our midfielders and at the moment he is one of them....whether he comes good , who knows.

Still, we live in hope.

I still don't rate Milner that highly and never have done...as for your suspicions of why some folk, have difficulty in getting too carried away on Makoun is simply this from me.....Nothing to do with the speculation you make.

1. Lacks physical presence, that can be overcome if you are small and world class.

2. I look for effectiveness in a midfield player, whether it be some who always has time on the ball ,can spray passes to effect or a downright ugle destroyer who can turn defence in to attack. The operative word is EFFECTIVE..... I see that in very few of our midfielders and at the moment he is one of them....whether he comes good , who knows.

When I've watched him, he's either made a tackle and subsequent pass that's led to a goal or a goal scoring opportunity. That effective enough for you? Sure, it hasn't been in every game, but then again we have to think about what we're asking from him. Do we really expect a player from a foreign league to come here and do that on a consistent basis? For the record, I can't remember Berson ever doing that, he was just invisible.

I don't blame him for being a bit shy in the tackle either, he put in a cruncher and got sent off, then Jagielka fell over his foot and won a penalty - enough to dent anyone's confidence.

As for how you rate Milner.. well that's up to you, although I'm not going to discuss James Milner in this thread but I think it says a lot for your subsequent opinion of Makoun in all honesty.

Alot of people being way too critical of him way too early.

I could be proven wrong in the future but he will be massive for us next season.

1. He came over midway through the year.

2. Didnt know the language.

3. Didnt have his family.

4. Will need a FULL premier league pre season to boost his fitness as he seemed to start really well and then fade.

He will learn the language and communicate better.. he will get fitter.. he will build combinations and become a really dominant player in midfield for us.

Watch this space.

Still, we live in hope.

2. I look for effectiveness in a midfield player, whether it be some who always has time on the ball ,can spray passes to effect or a downright ugle destroyer who can turn defence in to attack. The operative word is EFFECTIVE..... I see that in very few of our midfielders and at the moment he is one of them....whether he comes good , who knows.

When I've watched him, he's either made a tackle and subsequent pass that's led to a goal or a goal scoring opportunity. That effective enough for you? Sure, it hasn't been in every game, but then again we have to think about what we're asking from him. Do we really expect a player from a foreign league to come here and do that on a consistent basis? For the record, I can't remember Berson ever doing that, he was just invisible.

I don't blame him for being a bit shy in the tackle either, he put in a cruncher and got sent off, then Jagielka fell over his foot and won a penalty - enough to dent anyone's confidence.

As for how you rate Milner.. well that's up to you, although I'm not going to discuss James Milner in this thread but I think it says a lot for your subsequent opinion of Makoun in all honesty.

No its not anywhere near effective enough for me, and its is done without any consistency.

you have your opinion, I'm just giving mine.

I'm not discussing excuses or even reasons, just gving my take on what I see....I hope he does come good obviously.

Fair enough, you obviously have incredibly higher expectations of new arrivals than me.

To add, what I saw was a hell of a lot better than we currently have in our central midfield so I hope he can deliver it on a consistent basis.

The fact he can't tackle can be over looked. After all, Delph is a poor tackler and someone has been at Man Utd for years and still can't tackle.

You can afford a weakness in your game if you're exceptionally good at other things. Comparing Makoun to Scholes because they both can't tackle is like comparing Barry Bannan to Messi because they're both not very tall.

I agree to an extent, I think the comparison of them on arriving is a good one, but I think there's the potential for different individuals to react differently to the challenge - I thought Berson might have persevered and I think there's time for Makoun yet.

Â