Jean II Makoun

dudevillaisnice

I think Makoun has done just fine so far

Same here.

I think some are just having a dig because hes a Houllier signing. I also think that many have been watching very different games to me :lol:

The one positive of Houllier has been his signings IMO. Makoun has obvious talent - let's hope he can produce it more often.

Blimey, the bloke needs time to settle in. Put yourself in his shoes for a minute. Go and get a job in France, without the ability to speak the language and see how you'd get on!! He needs to be fitter and stronger, yes, I agree, but he's only been here for five minutes. He needs the rest of this season and then a really tough pre-season at Villa before he finds his feet properly. He's a very decent player. We may need to find a player to play next to him to get the best out of him, I accept that, but he'll be well worth the pittance we paid for him in the longer term.

First there were at least five others on the pitch a lot worse than Jean ll Makoun yesterday

Sorry but I made than 9 players in C&B better than Makoun, ten if you include Heskey who at least won a foul in his 25 seconds on the pitch. Only player worse than Makoun yesterday was Walker.

You dont like Makoun. I know that.

You'd be making that up in your head then. At no point have I ever said that, what I haven't done is call him superb, or any of those other superlatives that really don't apply most of the time when he has played, so far he's had one great game (Man Utd), one above average game game (Fulham) and the rest of the time, he has looked like he needs time to adjust to the PL. It's no coincidence that his better games have come against two of the less physical sides in the league. In fact I think I said he'd play much better against United before the game, which he did, I've also said we won't see the best of him this season and I really don't think we will but I've never said I don't like him, I just don't guild the lilly when it comes to assessing a players performance. Yesterday only Walker was worse for us. He was actually lucky to be on the pitch, I think even he thought he was going to be sent off for the foul for which he was booked, then he gave away a pen (albeit very dubious, but he was naive to stick his foot in where and when he did) and some of his passing was definitely not that good. His heading ability also seems, well, non existent when his feet are off the ground. He's used to much more time on the ball and it will take time, he could do with being dropped and Petrov coming back in to the team for a while, then he can come on fresh when Petrov tires, he will then get up to speed in a more gradual way and still get decent game time.

But no, I've never said I don't like him.

Your assessment is far more realistic imo.

dubious about whether he will make it in the prem.....looks too lightweight to me, but hey time will tell.Good passing from a central Midfielder is great but they need more than just that.

At least Makoun has got it to start with, that gives him a chance. We won't see his best until next season, it's been stop start for him, but he only has himself to blame for that. If he sorts out his discipline he could be terrific, especially if he gets some quality along side him.

Give the lad a chance, he will be fine next season Im sure

This.

Makoun will be fine. It would be hard for any player to come into a club and flourish that appears to have several in house issues and that is fighting relegation. We can see that the guy has some great potential which Im sure will be proved more so next season. How long did it take for JPA to come good?!?! Now the guys a villa legend.

Juan Pablo Angel - a villa legend???? Errr no

ERRRR Yeah,

just like Sasa Cucic, De La Cruz, Collymore and Enckelman. These guys all took time to settle and ended up putting the club on the map. Why we have a song for Paul McCGrath but nothing for these guys is beyond me.

Anyway back on topic, Makoun will be fine but I do agree that Reo Coker is probably more suited to play based on our current predicament.

:crylaugh::crylaugh::crylaugh::crylaugh:

This.

Makoun will be fine. It would be hard for any player to come into a club and flourish that appears to have several in house issues and that is fighting relegation. We can see that the guy has some great potential which Im sure will be proved more so next season. How long did it take for JPA to come good?!?! Now the guys a villa legend.

ERRRR Yeah,

just like Sasa Cucic, De La Cruz, Collymore and Enckelman. These guys all took time to settle and ended up putting the club on the map.

Are you joking?. Them players never done a thing for this club.

Yeah, seriously? I mean I can see Collymore as "putting us on the map", because even though he wasn't great for us, he was a very big signing at the time.

But the others? Surely a joke?

Blimey, the bloke needs time to settle in. Put yourself in his shoes for a minute. Go and get a job in France, without the ability to speak the language and see how you'd get on!! He needs to be fitter and stronger, yes, I agree, but he's only been here for five minutes. He needs the rest of this season and then a really tough pre-season at Villa before he finds his feet properly. He's a very decent player. We may need to find a player to play next to him to get the best out of him, I accept that, but he'll be well worth the pittance we paid for him in the longer term.

We can't afford for him to find his feet in a relgation battle though. His last three games have seen him sent off, he was dreadful against Wolves, and he gave away a shit penalty that cost us two points against Everton. I'm not writing him off, but at the moment he's an unaffordable liability. I agree he needs time to settle in, let him do that with sub appearances and in pre-season if we stay up. At the moment he's contributing bugger all to the cause, in fact quite the opposite.

A few young lads were singing oh na na Jean Makoun, oh na na Jean Makoun to the tune of Rihanna's oh na na what's my name last night at the reserves and it sounded good

ha ha i heard that too but didnt want to admit to it sounding good, but now someone else has I feel more confident in saying that a Rihanna song actually sounded good rather than just looking good.

just like Sasa Cucic, De La Cruz, Collymore and Enckelman. These guys all took time to settle and ended up putting the club on the map. Why we have a song for Paul McCGrath but nothing for these guys is beyond me.

You're either clinically insane or a SHA fan (mind you, the two do go hand-in-hand).

We can't afford for him to find his feet in a relgation battle though. His last three games have seen him sent off, he was dreadful against Wolves, and he gave away a shit penalty that cost us two points against Everton. I'm not writing him off, but at the moment he's an unaffordable liability. I agree he needs time to settle in, let him do that with sub appearances and in pre-season if we stay up. At the moment he's contributing bugger all to the cause, in fact quite the opposite.

You've let yourself down there because apart from the fact he wasnt shit against wolves (the ball through to Young and then Young missed, not Makoun's fault))

- Makoun didnt give away a penalty at Everton. Jagielka dived and kicked Makoun on the way down.

To say we cant afford him in a relegation battle is like saying we cant afford the whole back four - and they are shit.

i like the look of him, needs time as he keeps fading badly but the talent is obviously there which is half the battle, i think if we tried a 4-3-3 he'd excel at tippy tappy 5-10 yard passes which are easily written off as nothing special but we keep the ball, id say at a guess most of his passing on saturday was a 5 yard pass to either young

absolutely no doubt in my mind next season he will be better than reo coker and petrov

I think he's done OK, hope he sticks around next year even if we are in the Championship. He has certainly showed at times that there is a good player in there, potentially one of our best players infact. But he does need to get up to speed a bit no doubt. In terms of alternatives, I dont think he is doing any worse than Petrov or Delph would be doing in fairness.

This.

ERRRR Yeah,

just like Sasa Cucic, De La Cruz, Collymore and Enckelman. These guys all took time to settle and ended up putting the club on the map.

Are you joking?. Them players never done a thing for this club.

Of course I'm joking.

Sometimes people jump on players backs too soon. This guy obviously has talent and as I mentioned earlier its going to take time to settle in, especially coming into a club that from the outside appears to have several in house issues, and is fighting relegation. He was also out of the Lyon team for a while because he was out of favor and I do believe he was injured?!?! Its unfair to judge him so quickly as we have seen (all be it rarely) glimpses of his quality. He'll need a preseason under his belt before we see the best of him which makes me think it may be better to go with Coker in the mean time but that will still leave one/two midfield options available depending upon the formation Houllier goes with and neither Petrov or Delph fill me with encouragement at the moment.

Poor against Wigan

Good against Utd

Good against Fulham

V Poor against Blackpool

To me that makes him just below average so far.

The guy can pass, no doubt about it, he cannot tackle though which is a problem when your touted as a defensive midfielder. 2 yellows and a red in 4 games having been withdrawn in one and faded in another.

A decent analysis of his performances can be found http://astonvillablog.com/makoun-review-what-to-make-of-up-and-down-start/

Edit: To add a quote from the above piece ;

more interesting is the fouls for/against ratio which the midfielder currently has. In 14 involvements in free-kick decisions, Makoun has won just 4, giving away 10, three of which have been punished by two yellow cards and one red, at a rate of 28.6%. His early disciplinary record, backed by these stats, would suggest that the middle-man has a way to go in his tackling and the stats related to tackling would add further substance to this theory.

For a primarily defensive playmaker, Makoun’s tackling is out of sorts thus far. In 30 challenge contests, Makoun has lost out on 21 occasions at a success rate of just 30%, not good. Compare this to the likes of Reo-Coker who partnered Makoun against Blackpool making 15 tackles and succeeding on ten of those occasion

I admit those specific stats showing one part of his game in one specific game look good (passing at Utd). Other stats (tackling) show him as poor.

So I stick by my analysis that so far he has been average, or taking into account the 3 match ban (of his own making), below average.

I am not saying he is or is not an average player, I am saying on his outings for Villa so far he has been average in his performances.

Great passers are ten a penny in Italy and Spain, it takes a lot more than passing to make a great player.

Quoting myself from 3 weeks ago.

Add a penalty given away (wrongly awarded or not) to that list and he has definately been below average. Should not be anywhere near the first XI. We cannot play a midfielder in a relegation battle that simply cannot tackle.

It seems that his confidence has gone down the longer he's been at the club, unfortunately.

I think he'll be a quality player for us in the long term though - he was absolutely amazing against Man U.

Â