Lionel Messi

AVFC-Prideofbrum

Its frightening to think that he hasnt yet reached his peak.

How do you know he hasnt reached his peak? If he doesnt have another 50+ goal season then he might have peaked at 23. The Ronaldo was at his absolute peak between 18 and 20, his last season at PSV through to his first season at Inter (including that breathtaking year at Barcelona) and I dont think you can fairly say Messi is better today than Ronaldo was back then. It's an infinitely debatable point.

I think he already is the best player of all time.

If you stuck him in the 86 world cup as he is now, he would of stood out more than Maradona.

He stood out so much against the players then, but I'm not sure you would notice Maradona so much in todays game.

The thing which resonated with me a bit last night was the way in which his goal was received.

Had his second goal been scored by Rooney, or Giggs, we'd all be talking about it today and indeed for many months to come. Infact, it wasnt too different to the goal which Giggs scored at VP in '99. Yet I doubt last night's goal would even make it into Messi's all time top 10 goals.

Genius has become par for the course where Messi is concerned.

If you stuck him in the 86 world cup as he is now, he would of stood out more than Maradona.

He stood out so much against the players then, but I'm not sure you would notice Maradona so much in todays game.

Again, that is an opinion which is infinitely debatable. Messi would get kicked a lot more often and a lot harder in 1986 than he does today in 2011. Comparing players of different eras is futile.

The thing which resonated with me a bit last night was the way in which his goal was received.

Had his second goal been scored by Rooney, or Giggs, we'd all be talking about it today and indeed for many months to come. Infact, it wasnt too different to the goal which Giggs scored at VP in '99. Yet I doubt last night's goal would even make it into Messi's all time top 10 goals.

Dont be daft. A goal like that away against Real Madrid in the Champions League semi final? They will be talking about it for years to come in Catalonia.

I dont think you can fairly say Messi is better today than Ronaldo was back then. It's an infinitely debatable point.

Lets do it then! :)

For me Ronaldo was the best striker to ever play the game and up until recently Messi was not at that level. But 52 goals in a single season puts him very very close indeed!

Again, that is an opinion which is infinitely debatable. Messi would get kicked a lot more often and a lot harder in 1986 than he does today in 2011. Comparing players of different eras is futile.

Futile it may be, but the thing for me was when it comes to Messi and Maradona I'll still give my vote to Maradona. No player has ever dominated a world cup like Maradona did in 1986. And Messi last summer failed to deliver. But he's got the next wc to show that he's the better player as by then he'll be at the same age as DAM was in '86.

But when it comes to Maradona it's not only about 1986. He also took a rather mediocre Napoli to the italian title almost single handedly. Messi's got quite some players surrounding him.

But I still take your point that it's very hard to compare players from different eras.

The fact stands, they are/were both fantastic players that very few can be compared with.

Dont be daft. A goal like that away against Real Madrid in the Champions League semi final? They will be talking about it for years to come in Catalonia.

It might just about squeeze in

That's only the top 18 shillz, here's his top 50 (great soundtrack btw) although doesn't include any of the 52 so far this season

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tv5VotXzOQA

I can think of 5 he has scored this season that would be in the top 20. Last night's second, the one where he dribbled it across the six yard box and put it in the other corner, the chip and volley v Arsenal, the winner against Brazil and the 'double header' which was insane.

Also here's some hilarious commentary on his dribble against Bilbao

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEMcb_1G--I

I disagree that Messi would have gotten kicked more in 86' The big cumbersome midfielders and defenders of the era that accelerated like articulated lorries and turned like boats wouldn't get close enough to inflict a kick on him. I would go so far as to say Maradonna himself would be nowhere near as effective in the more athletic modern game and that Messi with his ability would have done even better in that era than he does today, in fact most modern footballers would.

I doubt it TSV. Certainly the game nowadays is less brutal and more diver-friendly than in '86. I've found out as a right back you don't have to be that fast to flatten someone in a challenge.

Breathtaking...the best player to ever play the game. Better than the Ronaldo.

For me, Ronaldo (the Brazilian one) wouldn't make my top half a dozen of all time, possibly not my top ten. I'd put Schevchenko and Weah in the same bracket as Ronaldo, he was very, very good, but not amongst the greatest players of all time in my opinion.

Messi on the other hand has a real chance.

For me, Ronaldo (the Brazilian one) wouldn't make my top half a dozen of all time, possibly not my top ten.

:shock:

For me, Ronaldo (the Brazilian one) wouldn't make my top half a dozen of all time, possibly not my top ten.

:shock:

Maradona, Zico, Zidane, Pele, Cruyff, Beckenbauer, Platini, Messi, Socrates, Garrincha - he's fifth in Brazil for me!

Pele **** annoys me. Saw his comments about how no one has won a world cup at 17 and 3 world cups, how "Pele is the best, no one else has done what Pele has" ..talking about himself. Even if he's right, what a clown.

True he would have won **** all had he been born in Bolivia or Paraguay.

Â