Lionel Messi

AVFC-Prideofbrum

Would Messi still be as good when not as quick though?

Zidane when he could hardly run in his last Word Cup was amazing.

Messi will have the close control but as effective as he gets older and slower?

Probably, maybe not when he gets to 35 or something but for the next 10 years I'm sure he's fine. He's not that quick, I mean, Kaka is (was) faster with the ball than Messi without it.

Breathtaking...the best player to ever play the game. Better than the Ronaldo.

For me, Ronaldo (the Brazilian one) wouldn't make my top half a dozen of all time, possibly not my top ten.

:shock:

Maradona, Zico, Zidane, Pele, Cruyff, Beckenbauer, Platini, Messi, Socrates, Garrincha - he's fifth in Brazil for me!

That's a good list. And I definitely agree with you. Well, I don't think I've seen much of Garrincha but I've heard loads about him and he seemed to be good enough for us. :P

I love these ''who was the greatest ever'' debates. I thinkMessi is the best from the last 20 years. I would put him above Ronaldo (brazilian) because Ronaldo never kept up his 96-98 level. After that period he was never as good, because of injuries and too much partying. But ronaldo was better than Schevchenko and Weah. One striker who i thought was amazing that never got credit was Batistuta, on a similar level to ronaldo

I saw him play in a copa del rey match against Benidorm in 2008. His close control was amazing to see in person.

It was funny though, Barca scraped a 1-0. Messi took one of the worst penalties I've ever seen but managed to bundle in the rebound.

• 4 weeks later...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LltfBhFD18&feature=player_embedded

Performance vs Man United. I watched a similar 'compilation' on the Rome final and the improvement is there to say, rarely ever gives the ball away, always making the right decisions, quicker and stronger than ever. Amazing, at the age of 21, he scored 38 that season and that doesn't seem 'clinical'.

100 goals, 35 assists in his last two seasons.

What's important is as well is that he doesn't clog up his tally through goals when a game is done or just scoring 2/3/4 then not scoring for 3/4 games and then scoring another 2/3/4 etc.. so many times he's come up with vital goals at vital times.

In his 55 games ...

23 times, he's scored Barca's first goal or goal that makes them go 2-1/3-2/4-3 etc..

16 times, he's scored the goal that gave Barca a two goal cushion.

(some games overlap, i.e. scoring for 1-0, then scoring for 2-1 ...within the same game)

and saying that, he's so much more than just being a stats God in every department. :)

I still think the most incredible thing I can say about Leo Messi at the moment is despite him having scored 100 goals in his last 108 games for Barca, I still think of him as a playmaker rather than an out and out scorer.

He will no doubt go on to become the greatest player ever in my view. Why? Because he is already on par with Maradona, who is the greatest player ever, but unlike Diego he doesnt have any character flaws. This chap's head seems firmly screwed on and his feet are on the ground.

Breathtaking...the best player to ever play the game. Better than the Ronaldo.

For me, Ronaldo (the Brazilian one) wouldn't make my top half a dozen of all time, possibly not my top ten.

:shock:

Maradona, Zico, Zidane, Pele, Cruyff, Beckenbauer, Platini, Messi, Socrates, Garrincha - he's fifth in Brazil for me!

Zico? Really? Cracking player but not in that company for me. He's one tier down IMHO.

3 Champions leagues already. I've said it before and I'll say it again., surely there can't be much more for him to do until he is considered the best ever?

I can understand where people are coming from when they say he needs a brilliant World Cup. I thought he was excellent in 06 in the bits he played and was pretty good last year myself. Whether he'll ever win a World Cup I'm not sure. I can definitely see him winning the World Player of the Year for at least the next 5 years which would be an unsurpasssable achievement I think.

He will no doubt go on to become the greatest player ever in my view. Why? Because he is already on par with Maradona, who is the greatest player ever, but unlike Diego he doesnt have any character flaws. This chap's head seems firmly screwed on and his feet are on the ground.

How? Maradona did his best work at Napoli and Argentina surrounded by some good players and a few journeymen. Messi as good as he is is surrounded by Xavi and Iniesta 2 players that will be named as legends of the game in 20-50 years time.

If MEssi came to a club say like Villa and won the league then he be in Maradona's league :P

How? Maradona did his best work at Napoli and Argentina surrounded by some good players and a few journeymen. Messi as good as he is is surrounded by Xavi and Iniesta 2 players that will be named as legends of the game in 20-50 years time.

If MEssi came to a club say like Villa and won the league then he be in Maradona's league :P

To be honest I just want to see how he does when Xavi and Iniesta are gone. There is no doubt that he is a fantastic player and if he continues to dominate when surrounded by weaker players for years to come he will righty be talked about as an all time great. But for now greatest player ever is just 24hr media over hype.

No no no. I've thought about this and it's not a fair thing to say. What you are basically saying there is that it is impossible for anyone to be regarded as the best player in the world because the best clubs in the world will always recruit him. Yes Maradona did the unthinkable with Napoli, but you can not take away from Messi simply because he happens to be surrounded by fantastic players and because he is not likely to ever move to an equivalent club like Napoli.

What Barca did to Man Utd the other day was make them look like schoolboys. At some point you have to start accepting that Messi will never and should never play for anything other than great sides and all he can do is win things in those sides and play the way he does.

It is precisely because Maradona did what he did for Napoli & Argentina that makes him one of the greatest players in the world. Messi has his own portfolio and his own claims.

Put it this way. In what is definitely the greatest side since Holland '74 and arguably the greatest side ever, Messi is still head and shoulders above his teammates and regarded by those same lauded teammates as being something special. Surely that should tell you something.

3 Champions leagues already. I've said it before and I'll say it again., surely there can't be much more for him to do until he is considered the best ever?

Y0b6T.jpg

This.

Until he wins a World Cup, its a thing that supporters of Maradona & Pele will always be able to throw at Messi.

Someone made the interesting point and so does BOF to an extent, why does Messi have to be considered the greatest until he wins things Maradonna does, it's as if people somehow want Messi to play out the exact same career as Maradonna just because he's argentina and plays in a similar way. If Messi was first player out, would we say "Maradonna can't be considered the greatest until he's won at least a Champions League" which is arguably the best competition in world football club or country.

I haven't seen both but I think to anyone who has, he should be compared on his play and if people believe Maradonna was the better play, then no one can argue with that opinion but saying he isn't the best because he didn't won a world cup or win something with Napoli is jus wrong IMO. The fact as BOF says, Iniesta/Xavi will go down as legends of the game, David Villa Spanish top scorer......Cristiano Ronaldo who has scored 40 goals in Spain, 53 overall which is extraordinary, yet they aren't even on the same level to this guy says so much.

I guess maybe it's wrong to compare, different era's, different rules, ways of playing, defending/attacking, tactical but it'll always be done.

well in Argentina is he is not considered that brilliant until he achieves what Diego did as that country hasnt won an international tournament since 1993.

We will see if he plays in Argentina this summer as could be the end of their drought.

BTW i do love Messi as he is opposite of most modern footballers and has class. This is a lad that took an Aer Lingus flight with the "normal" people to Dublin for their friendly in August

Â