Lionel Messi

AVFC-Prideofbrum

Platini, great player, but what did he do?

Captained France to European Championship win in 1984. Remarkable performance in that tournament - scored 9 goals in 5 games including two hat-tricks, player of the tournament award.

They played Italy and drew 1-1, Italy were a good team at the time. But Argentina, dispite what people say were solid at the back. Diego scored.

Then they beat South Korea 3-1, not a result that would have suprised anyone because at the time Korea were about 59th in the world. Diego did not score.

They then played Bulgaria and won 2-0, again a pretty standard result.

First round knockout stage;

They scraped a 1-0 win against uruguay, it was a poor match and Diego did not score. Uruguay were also a pretty average team.

last 16;

The famous 2-1 win over England. He cheated for their 1st, and scored a once in a lifetime goal for their 2nd. This was his best game in the entire tournament. His 'finest moment'. I also think (IMO) that the 86 England team wasn't that good (shock horror). Italia 90 team were basically the best team we've had and these guys where 4 years too young or shit..Paul Reid...Diego scored twice.

Then they played **** Belgium in the semi final..BELGIUM, the Belgium who got lucky against Spain the earlier round. Spain should have been out of sight but fannied around and lost on penalties. A pretty ordinary team to get through to the final of a World Cup..Diego scored twice

Then they beat West Germany 3-2 in a decent final. Diego didnt score.

Maradona was more a creator than a scorer and you didnt include his assists including the world cup winner ;)

Maradona greatness is summed up in one word. Napoli.

The equivalent would be Messi going to Sunderland or Newcastle and dragging them to success like Maradona did

Well not really. Firstly I imagine the difference between teams back then would be a lot smaller than what the Premiership is now between the big teams and the smaller teams. Napoli before Maradonna had won a few trophies and regularly finished top 6, finishing 3rd just 2-3 seasons before Maradonna came in. Just like Villa went from 17th in 1990-1991 to 2nd in 1992-93...football was easier to change around then.

No doubt he was the main difference between say say 3rd/4th and 1st....but I don't think in this era, if he went to Sunderland/Newcastle now, I doubt he'd even be able to drag them into a top 4 spot the gap is that big. Not to mention, team was 16 teams.

For example, Maradonna first season, they finished 8th. So it wasn't some quick change around. Verona finished 6th in 1983-84 and then won the title in 1984-85.

Napoli didnt win anything for 10 years before Maradona came and Napoli is really measured on Maradona era. They did nothing before or after he went and this year is best season since about 91.

Also back then Serie A was very difficult and probably more tactcal and more competitive than current Premier League where players were kicked until black or blue

Napoli didnt win anything for 10 years before Maradona came and Napoli is really measured on Maradona era. They did nothing before or after he went and this year is best season since about 91.

Also back then Serie A was very difficult and probably more tactcal and more competitive than current Premier League where players were kicked until black or blue

Yes it may have been more competitive and tactical but it wasn't anywhere near as big gap between top teams and teams below. As said, Verona finishing 6th one year, then winning the title the next. It wasn't just 2/3 teams dominating every single year and no one could break it, like you see in the Premiership. to say they did 'nothing' before Maradonna was there was harsh.

70's they were in the Uefa Cup, finished 3rd in 71' and 74'. 2nd in 75'. Were in Uefa Cup winners Cup for 1976-77, won copa italia 76', finished 3rd in 81', 4th in 82' (2 years before Maradonna was there)

I'm sure he was the key difference but you can't suddenly come out and say it's like taking Newcastle/Sunderland and dragging them to success because it isn't. The gap is completely different and Napoli were for the last 15 years before Maradonna come, more often than not, in and around the top 3/4 teams.

*I am not questioning Maradonna, just the statement you make*

Napoli had a pretty good team when Maradona was there in fairness. It wasn't a poor side like Sunderland or Newcastle are.

I'm not going to argue and say that Maradona isn't one of the greatest in the world (I'm firmly in the 'love him' camp)

But to say he won a world cup on his own is a bit naive I think.

In the group stage;

They played Italy and drew 1-1, Italy were a good team at the time. But Argentina, dispite what people say were solid at the back. Diego scored.

Then they beat South Korea 3-1, not a result that would have suprised anyone because at the time Korea were about 59th in the world. Diego did not score.

They scraped a 1-0 win against uruguay, it was a poor match and Diego did not score. Uruguay were also a pretty average team.

last 16;

The famous 2-1 win over England. He cheated for their 1st, and scored a once in a lifetime goal for their 2nd. This was his best game in the entire tournament. His 'finest moment'. I also think (IMO) that the 86 England team wasn't that good (shock horror). Italia 90 team were basically the best team we've had and these guys where 4 years too young or shit..Paul Reid...Diego scored twice.

Then they played **** Belgium in the semi final..BELGIUM, the Belgium who got lucky against Spain the earlier round. Spain should have been out of sight but fannied around and lost on penalties. A pretty ordinary team to get through to the final of a World Cup..Diego scored twice

So when I look at that, it doesnt scream, Ronaldo - 98 (even though he fluffed the final), 02 or Zidane - 98

He scored 5 goals, 2 against Belgium, 2 against England (1 of which was cheating) and 1 against Italy.

I think Messi is already as good as Diego ever was, he scored the winner in the champs league final Vs Utd and he's scored 117 goals in 172 games for Barca and he's only 23!

Lets wait until the next world cup when Messi is a similar age to Diego was in 86 before we say Messi has to fufill this 'win the world cup to become a legend' thing thats going on.

Zidane in 98. Are you serious? Zidane only played well in 2 games during the whole of the 98 world cup. He did well in the final and against Italy. He got sent off in the 2nd game against saudi arabia, and missed the last group game v denmark, and the 2nd round game against paraguay. It was euro 2000 where he confirmed his place as one of the best players of his era.

As for Ronaldo 98, he scored 4 goals, which was 1 more then Rivaldo who was almost as good.

Zidane in 98. Are you serious? Zidane only played well in 2 games during the whole of the 98 world cup. He did well in the final and against Italy. He got sent off in the 2nd game against saudi arabia, and missed the last group game v denmark, and the 2nd round game against paraguay. It was euro 2000 where he confirmed his place as one of the best players of his era

thank you. people on here thought i was crazy for saying that

I'm not going to argue and say that Maradona isn't one of the greatest in the world (I'm firmly in the 'love him' camp)

But to say he won a world cup on his own is a bit naive I think.

In the group stage;

last 16;

So when I look at that, it doesnt scream, Ronaldo - 98 (even though he fluffed the final), 02 or Zidane - 98

He scored 5 goals, 2 against Belgium, 2 against England (1 of which was cheating) and 1 against Italy.

I think Messi is already as good as Diego ever was, he scored the winner in the champs league final Vs Utd and he's scored 117 goals in 172 games for Barca and he's only 23!

Lets wait until the next world cup when Messi is a similar age to Diego was in 86 before we say Messi has to fufill this 'win the world cup to become a legend' thing thats going on.

Zidane in 98. Are you serious? Zidane only played well in 2 games during the whole of the 98 world cup. He did well in the final and against Italy. He got sent off in the 2nd game against saudi arabia, and missed the last group game v denmark, and the 2nd round game against paraguay. It was euro 2000 where he confirmed his place as one of the best players of his era.

As for Ronaldo 98, he scored 4 goals, which was 1 more then Rivaldo who was almost as good.

And that's all you need. A couple of goals in a World Cup final is great for the legacy!

What would a goalkeeper or defensive player have to do to be crowned worlds best footballer ? The offensive players have an advantage due to being involved in the glamorous element of the game. Is Messi a better attacker than McGrath was a defender for example ? He's a phenomenal player is Messi but his over reliance on his left foot and lack of aerial ability makes me question how he can be considered the best all round footballer on the planet.

What would a goalkeeper or defensive player have to do to be crowned worlds best footballer ? The offensive players have an advantage due to being involved in the glamorous element of the game. Is Messi a better attacker than McGrath was a defender for example ? He's a phenomenal player is Messi but his over reliance on his left foot and lack of aerial ability makes me question how he can be considered the best all round footballer on the planet.

Have to agree and for me McGrath and Maldini were just awesome and possibly be best players of all time especially Maldini who is nearly always voted into other players best XI's

Â