Lionel Messi

AVFC-Prideofbrum

What would a goalkeeper or defensive player have to do to be crowned worlds best footballer ? The offensive players have an advantage due to being involved in the glamorous element of the game. Is Messi a better attacker than McGrath was a defender for example ? He's a phenomenal player is Messi but his over reliance on his left foot and lack of aerial ability makes me question how he can be considered the best all round footballer on the planet.

Have to agree and for me McGrath and Maldini were just awesome and possibly be best players of all time especially Maldini who is nearly always voted into other players best XI's

i also agree

What would a goalkeeper or defensive player have to do to be crowned worlds best footballer ? The offensive players have an advantage due to being involved in the glamorous element of the game. Is Messi a better attacker than McGrath was a defender for example ? He's a phenomenal player is Messi but his over reliance on his left foot and lack of aerial ability makes me question how he can be considered the best all round footballer on the planet.

I'll also ask you why should a defender be considered the greatest when a lot of their football is based on moving into the right positions and play without the ball.

Running with the ball, dribbling past players with the ball and scoring goals is the hardest thing to do in football which is why attackers always come out on top in these debates. In reality, defenders are following the ball and running without the ball, which in my opinion, having done both, is easier generally than running past 2/3 players and then shooting into the corner.

I think defenders have limited attributes, attackers are more wide spread. Again, just an opinion, that I think plenty of attackers can make good defenders but not many defenders can make good attackers. The only main attributes defenders have over attackers generally for me are things physical. You can argue they read the game brilliantly but then again, so do attacking players but in a completely different way. They still read the game very well, where the ball will go next, what the defender will do, where to move, how to create space for other players etc...as well as having all the technical attributes, passing, dribbling, crossing, finishing, being able to create and score goals. Pace, balance etc...

You question how he can be considered the best all round footballer, well name me a player that has every attribute in his locker? They don't but Messi has most of them as well being the best or one of the best in what he does such as dribbling, finishing, balance, creativity, pace, passing etc..

Why do you consider dribbling and scoring to be harder than anticipating a run or a pass ? Why is balance more important than tackling ? Why is pace more important than strength ?

You are passing an awful lot of opinions off as facts there mate and I'd imagine it's because you're an attacking player yourself.

I can't really agree that attackers can generally play in defence, yet defenders make poor attackers as I reckon attackers are usually weaker physically (Not always , just a generalization) and would struggle at the back. McGrath would be a better striker than Messi would be centre half for example .

As for naming a footballer with everything in his locker , well are you talking current or historically ?

Zidane was just as comfortable with his left as his right, as well as being decent in the air and you could say the same for Maldini , Ronaldo and even Paul Scholes .

I don't watch enough world football to make a comment about current players but there must be someone out there who has a wider range of ability than Messi , but they probably play for a less attractive club , in a less glamorous postion and/or in a less popular league.

You can't say Messi is the worlds best footballer as it's misleading. He is arguably the worlds most ENTERTAINING footballer and even then its all very subjective.

I don't watch enough world football to make a comment about current players but there must be someone out there who has a wider range of ability than Messi , but they probably play for a less attractive club , in a less glamorous postion and/or in a less popular league

as much as i hate him i would say Ronaldo probably has more in his locker. great in the air, 2 good feet, composure in front of goal.

You can say it because it's true. He's consistently the best at what he does in his position.

Why do I consider dribbling and scoring to be harder? because in my opinion it's generally a harder skill and you have to be incorporate the attributes defenders have into attacking player. When dribbling, you still have to think about the space you are going to move in, anticipate what the defender is going to do, show, pace, balance, strength and technical ability to move the ball into the space where you want to go then shooting, your have to calculate the best corner in which to score and execute the action with composure.

I just think as an attacking player. You show off technical, mental, physical attributes etc and you have to have more things in your locker than being a defender. Maybe I am biased but I played left back for a full season around 3 years ago and found actually being effective in my position, a helluva lot easier, because I didn't have the ball, I weren't in the team to create, go past players, make goals and score goals which is a lot harder. I found it quite comfortable being able to just read the game from deeper positions. The hardest thing about it was stopping yourself from bombing forward every time the team got the ball :lol:

Just my opinion on it, attackers do the hardest things in the game and that's scoring and creating goals.

I don't watch enough world football to make a comment about current players but there must be someone out there who has a wider range of ability than Messi , but they probably play for a less attractive club , in a less glamorous postion and/or in a less popular league

as much as i hate him i would say Ronaldo probably has more in his locker. great in the air, 2 good feet, composure in front of goal.

Although Messi is a better passer, has creativity and works harder within a team.

composure in front of goal, I'd say Messi is pretty composed..

i agree, he is also stronger and more athletic and proved himself in 2 leagues

Funnily enough I watch England V Hungary on one of those classic sports channels the other day and was blown away by the dribbling ability of Puskas. He absolutely battered England and this was when the balls were made out of dark matter instead of helium. **** knows how good he may have been in the modern game.

You can only work with what you've got though. Ronaldo is blessed with probably the perfect physique for playing football, Messi is the second smallest player in his league I think and just has that extra bit of magic compared to anyone else in the world that puts him ahead. People use the tag that he is playing in one of the best teams ever against him but they haven't been that good the last couple of months yet he's dragged them through with so many important goals, when Villa and Pedro haven't scored any. He's also scored right-footed and headed goals this season so the same things apply to him as Ronaldo. He's just that extra bit better.

Â