Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Frobisher

Limited Editions in Gamestation if they don't sell go through the floor if you're prepared to wait a little and gamble on missing out entirely. We sold a Signature Edition GT5 a couple of months after release for £25 that had just sat around.

Probably the best place to ask this. Skyrims appearance on the release horizon has inspired me to go back and completely polish off Oblivion on the 360. Talking about this at work my boss has said he'll lend me his GOTY edition, since I've never tried Shivering Isles and the like. My question is will the GOTY edition carry over my save, and will it be possible to install the GOTY content (ala Forza 3's content disc) to run it after I hand back the disc and return to the normal edition? The latter is ambitious I suspect but I've heard conflicting stuff.

• 3 weeks later...

Take this with a degree of low expectation but Todd Howard said he is fully aware they dont have the best record with launching games without game breaking bugs and this time is determined that this wont be the case and are testing a lot more than in the past but he said that with a game of this size of course there will still be little things here and there. Guess its a step in the right direction at least.

Hey guys some questions:

1. Do you think (based on previous experience) that I'll need to have played Oblivion or Morrowind before in order to understand the goings-on in Skyrim?

2. What's so addictive about the series? (I ask this because I've tried Oblivion and Morrowind before, but stopped after 15 minutes of play in both cases as I didn't feel like anything in-game was happening at all, the pace of the game was so slow.)

Thanks.

Hey guys some questions:

1. Do you think (based on previous experience) that I'll need to have played Oblivion or Morrowind before in order to understand the goings-on in Skyrim?

2. What's so addictive about the series? (I ask this because I've tried Oblivion and Morrowind before, but stopped after 15 minutes of play in both cases as I didn't feel like anything in-game was happening at all, the pace of the game was so slow.)

Thanks.

Naw you don't need to have played either of the others. In the universe of the Elder Scrolls each game is set in a different region of the same world. There are tons of in game books which set out the history and massive back story of each region in each game, which may well be very interesting but it certainly isn't necessary to know.

Well, it is a slow paced game. It's something I really enjoy about it actually. What's actually addictive about it though? I found the element of surprise and and shock and awe was a big factor to keep playing, not knowing what you may stumble upon in the little villages on the outskirts of the major towns, and not knowing what you may find in the dungeons, or up in the moutains.

Stand out moment for me from Oblivion, for example, was Sheogorath's quest. You stumble upon a shrine to a demon somewhere in the wilderness, and talk to these monk-type chappys, who tell you to make an offering to summon the demon. So you do, naturally. The very mischevious demon appears and tells you to go to the village of Border Watch, where there is an old wives tale of sorts, that tells of a prophecy that preceeds the end of the world. The demon tells you to trigger each stage of this prophecy, just for the lulz. So you do the first two bits, a plague of vermin followed by the death of all the livestock in the village, and the demon then tells you to go to the centre of the village and watch the hilarity ensue, as he unfurls the terrible final stage of the prophecy on the village, something so awful and horrific that no one would even tell you what it was. So the sky turns red, it starts to thunder - and then a hail of burning dogs starts to fall on the village! The villagers panic, run away, die, kill themselves...

:shock: It's an hilarious moment in a wonderful game, and there are a bunch of other 'side' quests in Oblivion that offer the unexpected, as well as many that are far more run of the mill but still well worth while and fun. I am certain Skyrim will do this kind of thing even better than before. It's very common to ignore the main story completely for the majority of the games and just explore, finding new places and people and items and stuff.

I couldnt ever get into oblivion either, my flatmate has got it and will spend literally hours and hours on it (he's currently trying to 100% the game)

its one of them that I can happily sit down and watch someone else playing for ages but I have no interest at all in playing it myself, kind of like final fantasy

• 3 weeks later...
Â