billy_loes

I did a little bit on how we might play next season here: clicky

tl;dr:

Given

Young - Collins - Dunne - Warnock

Petrov - Makoun

Albrighton - Ireland - N'Zogbia

Bent

Pretty bog-standard stuff, but people like the Fonz, Gabby, Clark, Baker, Gardner and other youngsters like Dan Johnson can be swapped in right to their favoured position.

First of all over the moon that seemingly we have got N'Zogbia :D

However, i still think we are way short of the quality needed to compete in the top half this season. We need to strengthen the spine of the team further by signing at least one new centreback and a quality defensive midfielder along with another striker. At some time or another Bent will need to be rested and i have no faith whatsoever that Gabby will score the goals needed, or indeed any of our younger strikers coming through. What if Bent picks up a long term injury?

I'd like us to sign Dann, Parker, Johnson and Sturridge (Loan) if Sturridge doesn't go to Spuds and another FB.

Given

Young Dann Clarke/Dunne Enrique

N'Zogbia Parker Delph Johnson

Bent Sturridge

To me that would be the team to have us competing in the top six again. It would require the money left over from the sales of Young and Downing plus Randy dipping into his pocket but i believe those players are gettable if we show a little more ambition in the transfer market.

I take thats a unanimous 'no' for Pennant then guys? :(

Aside from him being a turd, and playing for 'that lot', he did have a cracking season. I'd take him for the right price.

I'm not a fan wiggy. He has a decent cross but I never see much more than that from him. Also, he's a little shithead!

Pennant would cost more because he's English. If we were to go for someone else to cover the wing, I'd rather we looked abroad.

Add a few million on top and we could get Shaqiri or some other up-and-coming foreigner!

The reason is his game to me just doesn't suit Villa at all. He gets the ball on the right and clips deliveries into the box, his game isn't much more than that. That's okay for Stoke or even would be for Villa if we had a in form Carew but we don't. Bent/Gabby aren't going to thrive off balls hung up in the air into the box, where as Stoke with K.Jones etc...that's extremely useful for them. There's no extra quality, he doesn't really go past players, doesn't score many, doesn't really come inside and create. Suited to Stoke, not Villa.

Aside from him being a turd, and playing for 'that lot', he did have a cracking season. I'd take him for the right price.

I'd take his ex Amii Grove at the right price, Pennant's right price however must be around 99p, a bit steep! That dive last season against us, what a rocket polisher. Cost us the game.

Pennant is a great player to be fair, for what he does (beat a man and whip it in) he's up there with the best in the league imo. Nothing fancy, gets his yard and delivers quality into the box. He would be a brilliant squad signing.

Pennant is a great player to be fair, for what he does (beat a man and whip it in) he's up there with the best in the league imo. Nothing fancy, gets his yard and delivers quality into the box. He would be a brilliant squad signing.

Yikes! :shock:

The reason is his game to me just doesn't suit Villa at all. He gets the ball on the right and clips deliveries into the box, his game isn't much more than that. That's okay for Stoke or even would be for Villa if we had a in form Carew but we don't. Bent/Gabby aren't going to thrive off balls hung up in the air into the box, where as Stoke with K.Jones etc...that's extremely useful for them. There's no extra quality, he doesn't really go past players, doesn't score many, doesn't really come inside and create. Suited to Stoke, not Villa.

Bent is decent in the air tbf as is Gabby. The ball doesnt necessarily have to be flighted when its delivered.

tl;dr:

Given

Petrov - Makoun

Bent

Pretty bog-standard stuff, but people like the Fonz, Gabby, Clark, Baker, Gardner and other youngsters like Dan Johnson can be swapped in right to their favoured position.

However, i still think we are way short of the quality needed to compete in the top half this season. We need to strengthen the spine of the team further by signing at least one new centreback and a quality defensive midfielder along with another striker. At some time or another Bent will need to be rested and i have no faith whatsoever that Gabby will score the goals needed, or indeed any of our younger strikers coming through. What if Bent picks up a long term injury?

I'd like us to sign Dann, Parker, Johnson and Sturridge (Loan) if Sturridge doesn't go to Spuds and another FB.

Given

Bent Sturridge

To me that would be the team to have us competing in the top six again. It would require the money left over from the sales of Young and Downing plus Randy dipping into his pocket but i believe those players are gettable if we show a little more ambition in the transfer market.

Agree to the most point. Nzogbia is a great addition. Better than Downing IMO and if we actually spend whats left over from Young/Downing then we could very well have a chance of competing in the top 6 maybe.

We do need more firepower. Bent is quality but he needs another striker alongside him who's capable of 15-20 goals and Gabby just isnt good enough as much as I want him to be. Sturridge would be a good signing but sure there are others. I like warnock but agree we may need another central defender and I think right back too. Possible a versatile winger as Albrighton and Nzogbia alone may not be enough for a long season.

Hopefully Nzogbia the 2nd of 4/5 signings....Prob not though.

Pennant would cost more because he's English. If we were to go for someone else to cover the wing, I'd rather we looked abroad.

Add a few million on top and we could get Shaqiri or some other up-and-coming foreigner!

very much this, not sure if vargas would fall into the cheaper option bracket and IMO shaqiri should be CL bound but if we go for another winger id like to see us gamble abroad, even if its on loan

tl;dr:

Given

Petrov - Makoun

Bent

Given

Bent Sturridge

Me too. :D

I think we need to have faith in Gabby/the Fonz/Weimann. MON didn't have faith in our youngsters, and we wasted a lot of our young talent that way. MacDonald puts faith in Albrighton, Clark and Bannan, and they're developing into brilliant young talents. Dann and Parker would be excellent signings, and Johnson too so long as he improves his final ball and is happy rotating. Sturridge probably wouldn't be happy behind Bent, and I think Darren works best as a lone striker. Enrique would be a brilliant signing.

We'll see how it pans out. Frankly, if we get N'Zogbia, we have the bare bones needed in order to compete at the top half of the table. Any other signings would be an extra bonus.