SIGNED: Charles N'Zogbia (Wigan)

billy_loes

Im not arguing one way or another but did N'Zogbia and Carrol not have a bit of a problem with each other or is that just rumours?

if its true maybe that would have helped with the decision if they were looking at the both of them?

I doubt Comolli & Dalglish looked at that when deciding. I'd say they were far more interested in putting the ball on Carroll's head from the wing, and in that sense Downing tramples all over N'Zogbia.

Which doesnt make Downing a better player it just makes him a player that Kenny feels is more suitable for Liverpool at this time. I dont believe in the "well if he was a better player then Liverpool would of signed him" its all subjective and this is what Kenny wants. Similarly Carroll isnt a better player than Bent.

Reading the comments from Wigan fans on SSN website - not only do they all seem absolutely gutted but all seem to make reference to the fact he is MILES better than Downing.

He's not miles better than Downing. If he was, Liverpool would have bought him for half what they bought Downing for. It's just subjective fans thinking their player is better. The numbers don't add up. N'Zogbia is a demon for going on dribbles but Downing does crosses better, scores goals better and is way way more consistent. Liverpool will get a player with a great attitude on the pitch who will probably give them 35 good games next season. We have a player who has the potential to peak higher than Downing but who will do it on fewer occasions and is more likely to go the 'glory' route than the team route. That's not a criticism, it's just what I believe to be a fair analysis of what both players bring to the table.

But the objective gauge here is that ultimately Liverpool were willing to pay twice as much for our seemingly inferior player.

But Liverpool are primarily going for British players which is why they may have overlooked N'Zogbia. Is Henderson that much (if at all) better than Meireles to be worth spending that amount of money? Not a chance, but they want their English base which has been missing for years to be fair.

I'd say N'Zogbia was as consistent as Downing last season. He played 7 games less, scoring 2 more goals and only assisting 2 less than Downing. This is Downing's only "consistent" season to date anyway whereas I'd say N'Zogbia was pretty good the season before last. He may not have his crossing ability but he is faster, a better dribbler, and he scored more than Downing, and think he has historically as well. GREAT SIGNING!

I dont believe in the "well if he was a better player then Liverpool would of signed him" its all subjective

True, it doesn't automatically follow that because Liverpool bought Downing he is better than N'Zogbia. I just happen to think that both are true i.e. they bought him and he is better. I would rather have Downing than N'Zogbia. So would Liverpool it appears, and for £20m instead of £9.5m no less. Because with N'Zog comes the great unknown of 'attitude'. Hopefully he'll work out well here though. There's an argument to say he's better suited to us than Downing was. Bent isn't particularly a target man so the team might do better having him exchange with a mazy dribbling winger than profiting from one that crosses most of the time.

god this zog transfer has everton and sunderland fans up on one lol .. sunderland fans are real bitter .

Dont see why Nzogbia would want to go their and club on a downhill slant, Bent will no doubt keep them up, cause he will score no matter who he plays for. Even though we may or may not have bidded for Nzogbia dont really see what he will achieve at Villa and what is so special about the club...

Read more: http://www.readytogo.net/smb/showthread.php?t=611706#ixzz1T8OtRkod

I'd say N'Zogbia was as consistent as Downing last season. He played 7 games less, scoring 2 more goals and only assisting 2 less than Downing. This is Downing's only "consistent" season to date anyway whereas I'd say N'Zogbia was pretty good the season before last. He may not have his crossing ability but he is faster, a better dribbler, and he scored more than Downing, and think he has historically as well. GREAT SIGNING!

N'Zogbia got his numbers with zero competition. He practically kept that team up with little attacking help. Even Rodallega had a crap season. Downing had Albrighton and Young getting pretty decent numbers alongside him. So Zog had a free run at the stats. Anyway, I don't want it to sound like I'm constantly picking fault with him. I think he's the perfect replacement for us. I think it is vital that we get him and I believe he will do well here. I just won't have any of the 'he's way better than Downing' stuff because for me he really isn't.

Let's all stop kidding ourselves - THis is a poor signing and a waste of money
I wouldn't agree with that.

I think he is a decent player and about the right price.

I do not think he is good enough to replace both Young and Downing but he is an able replacement for one of them for us at least.

N'Zogbia got his numbers with zero competition. He practically kept that team up with little attacking help. Even Rodallega had a crap season. Downing had Albrighton and Young getting pretty decent numbers alongside him. So Zog had a free run at the stats. Anyway, I don't want it to sound like I'm constantly picking fault with him. I think he's the perfect replacement for us. I think it is vital that we get him and I believe he will do well here. I just won't have any of the 'he's way better than Downing' stuff because for me he really isn't.

Spot on. He's an average player in a shite team. Has the odd good game but goes missing in most. He is not fit to lace the boots of either Downing or Young. £10m down the pan. Once Mcleish wastes the rest of the money then I predict a November protest when we are in the bottom 3.

Oblivion here we come.

Spot on. He's an average player in a shite team. Has the odd good game but goes missing in most. He is not fit to lace the boots of either Downing or Young. £10m down the pan. Once Mcleish wastes the rest of the money then I predict a November protest when we are in the bottom 3.

Oblivion here we come.

You do realise he wasn't saying that at all in his post?

Have to say I largely agree with BOF. Good player, good price and should fill Downing's boots, but I'd say they are of similar ability.

Sunderland are still bitter over losing Bent and now they "appear" to have lost out on purchasing N'Zogbia they are really angry.. If they were so attractive and great then N'Zogbia would have snubbed us for them. Also our side even in a weakened state could run them ragged any day of the week..