SIGNED: Charles N'Zogbia (Wigan)

billy_loes

Let's all stop kidding ourselves - THis is a poor signing and a waste of money
I wouldn't agree with that.

I think he is a decent player and about the right price.

I do not think he is good enough to replace both Young and Downing but he is an able replacement for one of them for us at least.

Well you are entitled to your opinion but I think he's shite. I hope I am proved wrong but I doubt it. You raise another point in who will replace the other?? I can give you the answer - probably some f***** has-been from rangers, that's who, or £10m for Seb Larsson.

I give up!!!!

Ha ha I just clicked on that SAFC thread ...

Thread Title: Whats the attraction of Aston Villa FC?

Poster: "They are the only team who's made a bid"

I've read that forum too. Makes for brilliant reading, I like it when clubs realise we're bigger than them 8)

I'd say N'Zogbia was as consistent as Downing last season. He played 7 games less, scoring 2 more goals and only assisting 2 less than Downing. This is Downing's only "consistent" season to date anyway whereas I'd say N'Zogbia was pretty good the season before last. He may not have his crossing ability but he is faster, a better dribbler, and he scored more than Downing, and think he has historically as well. GREAT SIGNING!

N'Zogbia got his numbers with zero competition. He practically kept that team up with little attacking help. Even Rodallega had a crap season. Downing had Albrighton and Young getting pretty decent numbers alongside him. So Zog had a free run at the stats. Anyway, I don't want it to sound like I'm constantly picking fault with him. I think he's the perfect replacement for us. I think it is vital that we get him and I believe he will do well here. I just won't have any of the 'he's way better than Downing' stuff because for me he really isn't.

Spot on. He's an average player in a shite team. Has the odd good game but goes missing in most. He is not fit to lace the boots of either Downing or Young. £10m down the pan. Once Mcleish wastes the rest of the money then I predict a November protest when we are in the bottom 3.

Oblivion here we come.

You do realise he wasn't saying that at all in his post?

Have to say I largely agree with BOF. Good player, good price and should fill Downing's boots, but I'd say they are of similar ability.

I'd say they are of similar ability but the fact that "he practically kept that team up with little attacking help" backs up my argument surely? What did Downing do as captain of Boro when they got relegated? He looked okay but didn't do half of what N'Zogbia did. N'Zogbia is more of a match winner I'd say and even after Downing's impressive season I'd say he's still more of a passenger.

I'm willing to play your game for a bit, WOWY. I am hoping to draw a more cogent discussion from you then we've seen thus far. I've highlighted below what I personally believe to be the pertinent points from this comprehensive Opta article.

Michael Hann @ Opta"]N'Zogbia could prove an inspired signing at Villa

Alex McLeish could not have been faced with a tougher start to his managerial career at Aston Villa, as in his first few weeks in the job he’s already faced with the daunting task of replacing instrumental duo Ashley Young and Stewart Downing.

There is no denying that losing two players who scored 14 goals between them, as well as assisting a further 17, would be detrimental to any side. It would also have left McLeish begging the question - how do you replace your two best players?

One man who has been on McLeish’s radar for a while is Wigan playmaker Charles N’Zogbia. In fact the Scot made a move for him last summer whilst at Birmingham but a deal could not be agreed.

But now with just a year left on his contract at Wigan, McLeish’s £9.5 million bid for the Frenchman has been accepted and he looks to have finally got his man.

N’Zogbia scored nine goals in a Wigan team that battled relegation up until the last match of the previous season. When you compare the Frenchman to the likes of Downing and Young, it is easy to see why McLeish rates him so highly.

In the Premier League last season, N’Zogbia had a pass completion rate of 78%; the same as Downing but higher than Young. He has a better shooting accuracy and goals-to-shots ratio than both former Villa players.

Astonishingly, N’Zogbia attempted 301 dribbles in the Premier League last season, meaning that when looking at players from the PL, Serie A, La Liga, Bundesliga and Ligue 1, only Lionel Messi attempted more in 2010/11 (331).

There has always been a question mark besides N’Zogbia regarding his attitude and application, but if McLeish can get the best from the winger, Villa’s strikers – Darren Bent in particular – will have plenty of opportunities to forgive and forget the departures of Ashley Young and Stewart Downing.

Charles+N+Zogbia+Simon+Davies+Wigan+Athletic+CQME9al8k1xl.jpg

+ GOAL THREAT

N'Zogbia will be tasked with providing a vital offensive threat for us this coming season. It is encouraging then, that his 'threat level' is a more potent one then either Young or Downing posed in the previous campaign. Not only does N'Zogbia have a higher % shot accuracy, but his goals-to-shots ratio is also an improvement on our recent departees.

Consider also, that N'Zogbia managed to achieve the aforementioned whilst surrounded by markedly worse players. It would be a fair assumption therefore, that with more quality around him he will be afforded greater time and space to perform and we will reap the benefits of this.

+ PASSING ABILITY

N’Zogbia is a sharp passer of the ball; rarely wasteful, with comparable statistics to Downing (and superior ones to Young). The application of this ability will be evident, if/when N’Zogbia drifts (or is deployed) into the centre.

That much-maligned “hole” behind the striker (that neither Ireland nor Young were able to effectively fill last season) is a position N’Zogbia has operated in comfortably and with a degree of success. All the more encouraging, given that the target of N’Zogbia’s incisive through-balls will be Darren Bent.

+ DANGEROUS WITH THE BALL

I've seen that "only Messi attempted more dribbles" statistic before, and I (like you, in fact) do question it's relevance. After all, I used to set off on innumerable mazy dribbles down the park on a Sunday afternoon; it doesn't mean I wasn't abruptly dispossessed each and every time. To that end, I have done a little bit of research and I present (for your consideration) three tables thus:

Wingers_Img31.png

Wingers_Img1.png

Wingers_Img21.png

What can we glean from these statistics? N'Zogbia was the most successful dribbler of any winger in the Premiership last season, even more so than Nani. This does not mean he was the most efficient, we cannot ascertain that from the above but what we can deduce is his style of play.

Consider N'Zogbia's crossing statistics above. The total number of attempted crosses (and % success) are low in comparison to the likes of Young and Downing. This is due to the fact that N'Zogbia has a much more direct style of play, and will look to beat his man before playing his teammates through. He is a different type of winger, this does not mean he is any less dangerous. In fact, this variety of wing-play will likely serve us well; it will give opposing full backs more food for thought then simply cutting out our crosses. It is, after all, often quoted that a defender's greatest hatred is a player who will not stop running at them.

- TEMPERAMENT/CONSISTENCY

My primary concern (and one I have voiced before) over N'Zogbia is his consistency. In the past, he has been prone to showing flashes of brilliance only to recede to a state of anonymity for long spells. My fears are somewhat assuaged when I consider the form he found in the latter half of last season.

It is no surprise that N'Zogbia's discovery of the constancy of performance that has often eluded him was the catalyst to Wigan's survival. Indeed, the prospect of what he can do when steadily firing on all cylinders is almost mouth-watering. Let us hope that he can carry this form through to the forthcoming campaign.

It's just a rumour on H&V, but someone on there has said that Sunderland have put a last minute bid in for N'Zogbia and it's been accepted and he wants to talk to them.

Also bookies are taking bets on him joining Sunderland.

Most likely BS, but I don't trust anything till I see him holding up a Villa shirt.