SIGNED: Charles N'Zogbia (Wigan)

billy_loes

Pennant is a great player to be fair, for what he does (beat a man and whip it in) he's up there with the best in the league imo. Nothing fancy, gets his yard and delivers quality into the box. He would be a brilliant squad signing.

Have a word with yourself mate, why do you think clubs are always unloading him, very inconsistent and his crossing is just not good enough, he gets one decent cross in in 3.

Pennant is a great player to be fair, for what he does (beat a man and whip it in) he's up there with the best in the league imo. Nothing fancy, gets his yard and delivers quality into the box. He would be a brilliant squad signing.

Have a word with yourself mate, why do you think clubs are always unloading him, very inconsistent and his crossing is just not good enough, he gets one decent cross in in 3.

we got £16m for a **** with a worse record

Article on the OS now about agreeing a fee.

I imagine that's because the player is about to undergo talks soonish, I also imagine it's because they are very confident of doing the deal. Hopefully already spoke with the agent. I'm not sure they'd post it on the OS if they weren't confident.

It's official on the OS

Villa agree fee with Wigan for winger N'Zogbia

Latest on Charles N'Zogbia.

25th Jul 2011

The Club are pleased to confirm that we have agreed a fee with Wigan for French international winger Charles N'Zogbia.

We will now discuss personal terms with the player and arrange a medical, with a view to completing the transfer later this week.

Link

It's on the WAFC Official site now as well.

Club issue statement on Charles N'Zogbia situation

In conjunction with Aston Villa Football Club, who are issuing a similar statement, Wigan Athletic can confirm that a bid for French international Charles N'Zogbia has been accepted.

The player has been given permission to speak to Villa and the club will be making no further comment on the issue until the completion of the transfer.

N'Zogbia has been quoted saying he wants to play for us...

Charles N'Zogbia wants to play for Aston Villa - but the Frenchman says a deal to take him to Villa Park is not complete yet.

The Wigan winger seems destined to leave the DW Stadium this summer and Villa have agreed a fee of around £9.5m for him.

It was assumed Alex McLeish had won the race for N'Zogbia but Everton have since been credited with an interest.

And now N'Zogbia has clarified the situation, claiming that his move to the Midlands is not complete just yet.

He told French radio station RMC Sport: "There are many rumours but my transfer to Villa is not done.

"Nobody at Wigan has called me and my agent has not said anything. The possibility to play for Villa is something that I would like.

"I would be happy because they have greater aspirations than Wigan and the challenge interests me."

http://tinyurl.com/4ymladz

Reading the comments from Wigan fans on SSN website - not only do they all seem absolutely gutted but all seem to make reference to the fact he is MILES better than Downing.

He's not miles better than Downing. If he was, Liverpool would have bought him for half what they bought Downing for. It's just subjective fans thinking their player is better. The numbers don't add up. N'Zogbia is a demon for going on dribbles but Downing does crosses better, scores goals better and is way way more consistent. Liverpool will get a player with a great attitude on the pitch who will probably give them 35 good games next season. We have a player who has the potential to peak higher than Downing but who will do it on fewer occasions and is more likely to go the 'glory' route than the team route. That's not a criticism, it's just what I believe to be a fair analysis of what both players bring to the table.

But the objective gauge here is that ultimately Liverpool were willing to pay twice as much for our seemingly inferior player.

Reading the comments from Wigan fans on SSN website - not only do they all seem absolutely gutted but all seem to make reference to the fact he is MILES better than Downing.

So?

There are barely any fans who rate Downing outside of Villa, it seems every fan still love off his performances for England 4 years ago and therefore he must be shit.

I'd have loved to seen both of them in the same team, shame.

He's not miles better than Downing. If he was, Liverpool would have bought him for half what they bought Downing for. It's just subjective fans thinking their player is better. The numbers don't add up. N'Zogbia is a demon for going on dribbles but Downing does crosses better, scores goals better and is way way more consistent. Liverpool will get a player with a great attitude on the pitch who will probably give them 35 good games next season. We have a player who has the potential to peak higher than Downing but who will do it on fewer occasions and is more likely to go the 'glory' route than the team route. That's not a criticism, it's just what I believe to be a fair analysis of what both players bring to the table.

But the objective gauge here is that ultimately Liverpool were willing to pay twice as much for our seemingly inferior player.

Yep. Both of them are wingers and left footed but I do think they are very different in their games.

Downing very consistant, very good. Keeps the ball, very good passer, good on both feet, picks out the right crosses/cut backs, will play within a team.

N'Zogbia is far more individual, extremely good dribbler, very direct. He'll head straight for goal. Technically he is good though.

I'm looking forward to seeing him, I think he'll be a huge asset to us. He will be frustrating though at times.

If anything, I'd say he's more Ashley Young than Stewart Downing.

Wigan chums and colleagues reckon Zog is very good but he's a bit in and out.

Great on the highlight videos they said. Has flashes of brilliance but then can drift out of games.

Some games he's world class and some games he doesn't turn up.

Reminded me of I suppose how we'd describe Ashley Young with a left foot.

Im not arguing one way or another but did N'Zogbia and Carrol not have a bit of a problem with each other or is that just rumours?

if its true maybe that would have helped with the decision if they were looking at the both of them?

If anything, I'd say he's more Ashley Young than Stewart Downing.

I agree and I said as much a few pages back. He's definitely more a replacement for Young. With Albrighton partial to a dribble on the righthand side and the right balance in the middle with Bent up front and a more settled defence this season I really don't think we'll do badly at all. Injuries are the one big variable so a few more bodies on the bench would help.

Im not arguing one way or another but did N'Zogbia and Carrol not have a bit of a problem with each other or is that just rumours?

if its true maybe that would have helped with the decision if they were looking at the both of them?

I doubt Comolli & Dalglish looked at that when deciding. I'd say they were far more interested in putting the ball on Carroll's head from the wing, and in that sense Downing tramples all over N'Zogbia.

I'd like if this wasn't the final player coming in.

There is still the possibility of loans.. McLeish as far as I am aware has stated this is his final purchase, but we can still get all sorts in on loan.