SIGNED: Charles N'Zogbia (Wigan)

billy_loes

You don't like the "Villa playing hardball rubbish" Richard, because quite possibly it has worked and it doesn't suit you to say so.

Far from being the bastion of reality you like to think you are, I dont think you're objective any more.

Sometimes there is such a thing as credit where it's due.

But never mind, that's just my opinion. You're entitled to yours of course.

I'm not interested in getting bogged down in miserable semantics when there is actually some rare good news to cheer.

I think he is better then Downing. Did equal to what Downing has done but for a club with a less talented squad. Should flourish here. Him and Bent will be amazing. Just hope all terms and wages have been done, don't want him acting like a knob over contract negotiations!

Are we agreeing that he is better than Downing?

Well I am, certainly.

Bloody hell, you must be good, Mazrim.

:lol:

To be fair, I have a spine so I'm already 1-0 up.

9.5m well done villa.

Not for the want of being negative in the face of good news, but I'd actually say the club have handled this deal atrociously. If anything, we should be paying £500k less than the fee accepted in January, not £500k more. At least it looks like it's getting done. I hope he isn't the only winger to arrive, but I've a feeling he will be.

I think his performances in the second half of the season though, especially during the run-in, would have pushed his price up. So whilst it's true he's six months nearer the end of his contract, he's also a more visibly important asset who's delivered during a very difficult period for his club. That the price is on an extra 500k due to him going into the last year of his contract shows what a bargain we're getting.

Top player - quick, skillful, versatile. Scores and creates goals so is certain to be a key figure.

Well I am, certainly.

Yep, me too. Far more exciting and creative in my opinion.

So we have improved on Downing and pocketed £10.5m...

Good work RL and AM! :thumb:

Well I am, certainly.

Not for me.

Downing is more consistant but N'Zogbia can do the spectacular and pull something out of nothing.

That is why Liverpool looked at both and decided to pay the extra £10m, for that consistancy.

Glad we finally look like signing him. I really hope that it is not the end of our summer though.

Hard to not make it sound like sour grapes but I'd first like to say Downing is a very good player and was deservedly our player of the season last term.

For me N'Zogbia is a much more exciting player and more of a typical winger. Fast, good dribbler, direct, eye for goal. With that in mind I can honestly say I'd rather watch N'Zogbia play for Aston Villa than Stewart Downing (who is a very good player in his own right). Although I think the Zog is more likely an Ash replacement than a Downing one.

Sometimes there is such a thing as credit where it's due.

Very true, but conversely there must also be questions asked when the situation dictates. I've said it before, but I honestly believe this haggling over the N'Zogbia fee would not have occured if we'd brought him in before selling Downing. Not for the want of sounding like a broken record, but we needlessly weakened our own bargaining posture and have had to pay cold hard cash as a result.

Fair enough that it's "only" £500k more and it can quite rightly be stated that the deal as a whole might represent good value given the player's potential ability, but this is coming at a time when the mandate from above is to save, not to splurge and I find it somewhat galling therefore, that through the club's own naïveté we have been forced to fork out more than we really should have.

The players are comparable but I think N'Zogbia would be a better option in a 433 scenario, which is how I see us playing this year. All we would need to complete the set up would be Sturridge on the other side, but that's another matter, which won't happen on another day.

I have no problem saying Downing is a good player. I dont agree he is more consistent than N'Zogbia.

Also, N'Zogbia can cover more positions, is quicker, stronger, can tackle, is more skillful, takes set pieces and for what its worth, younger.