Snow Watch!

trekka

What utter crap - so I have had two foot of snow outside my house now for a few days. People who "man up" have had to be rescued because basically the roads have been impassible.A guy we know "works" with the mountain rescue team and he said its the attitude of people who think they know better than causes injuries and occasionally fatalities. The rescue services don't just issue messages because they fancy a snowball fight, roads have been impassible and no blankets and sleeping bags would have made a difference.

Agree, however 95% of the population are totally retard cattle which accounts for a lot of incidents. I know my limits and I do not restrict myself because of bullshit weather forecasts.

I'm not trying to get into an argument, but Thursday night there were a few oversize loads travelling up the M5 and M6. If the weather forecasts were correct the police surely would not allow this?

I drove through this on Easter Sunday this year:

Dsc00182a.jpg

Well, say drove through it, I mean drove from one side of the Alps to the other in it, from Vars, through Montgenevre, Serre Chevalier, La Grave before heading into Italy and on to Lyon. Anyone who knows a ski resort will know how much snow you need to get to the top of a piste marker:

Dsc00187a.jpg

Still, no problems with that...

• Replies 766
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What utter crap - so I have had two foot of snow outside my house now for a few days. People who "man up" have had to be rescued because basically the roads have been impassible.A guy we know "works" with the mountain rescue team and he said its the attitude of people who think they know better than causes injuries and occasionally fatalities. The rescue services don't just issue messages because they fancy a snowball fight, roads have been impassible and no blankets and sleeping bags would have made a difference.

Yesterday we had to clear the roads by us because the gritters and snow ploughs could not get at them. Today there is serious black ice on a lot of the roads. Not everyone has the "luxury" of your obvious many snow trips - and before you say anything I have spent many months in Calgary working there so have a decent idea about bad weather conditions, plus I have worked in Scandinavia and DACH area in the winter.

Hmphhhh !

I'm kinda with Drat here , whilst on the whole I tend to disregard any advice given to me (it's a bloke thing i'm sure ) , in cases like this I fail to see the point of going out just to prove that you can

My drive was pretty impassable and once it joined the main road it wasn't a lot better .. so i walked to work and had much amusement watching people in cars trying to go up quite a steep hill and roll back down it again despite them all being told not to take their cars out

to be honest , regardless of warnings , common sense alone should have told them not to bother .. i hope the insurance companies say warnings were issued and you ignored them so you have to pay up yourself

Well it's thawed here a bit but then refrozen. I could have drove to Dumfries this morning but with loads more snow forecasted

I didn't want to get stranded on the way back

I've got a Diesel Golf with FWD, so it's really good in snowy conditions but I just didn't think it wise to risk it.

I fail to see the point of going out just to prove that you can

Totally agree with this. Life is not an endurance competition.

The snow up there was excellent though!

It's stopped snowing today but now the cold has REALLY set in up here... It hasn't got above -10 all day!

Beautiful blue skys but it's bitter!

Driving back from Kirkby Stephen about 5pm & car thermometer registered -13.5 degrees!!

Coldest last winter was about -20 about 4 am apparently but it was about -15 at 10pm the night before.

I reckon tonight/tomorrow mornning could be even colder in the early hours.

Â