Snow Watch!

trekka

• Replies 766
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never has your username been more appropriate Snowy. :)

Hopefully I won't be able to get to work on Monday. Just as well I wasn't stranded after my night out last night!

Ridiculous. Other countries cope....

mmm... I'm sure countries who have this weather more often than the UK do cope better on most occasions although I did hear on the radio about a guy who spent two hours travelling just a few miles to Stockholm airport only to find it was shut because of snow. Also many individuals in 'snowy' countries swap to winter tyres which keep their vehicles moving; how many Brits go to that expense?

If the UK spent a billion pounds more on infrastructure to cope better with snow and it didn't snow badly for a couple of years, can you imagine the Daily Mail / Daily Express style uproar?

Not really, I have after all just seen a particularly snowy chap walking down the road! :lol:

That is a real shocker countries who get a larger volume of snow and get snow more often deal with it better. I'd never have thought that.

Got told by parents that they managed to get a lift to Northfield to do a bit of shopping (well sort of a lift - cars couldn't get up Barnes Hill!). They walked up the hill, did their shopping only to find that the buses had stopped. Poor sods had to walk back to Bartley Green with lots of bags, in the blizzard!

You could question how much money has been lost in the economy today alone with people not going outside so maybe it does not sound so crazy when you think about it like that..

I'm confident the UK has worked out the cost of rarely being 'snowed in' against the additional cost of equipment which would sit idle for 99% of an average year. 2010 has been a bad year (January and now) but I can remember many years of little or even no snow.

Also, as I mentioned before, much of keeping a country mobile is down to individuals fitting winter/snow tyres; something us Brits won't pay for on the off chance they'll be needed in the UK.

Apart from last year/week. :winkold: :P

(The user name is not a meteorological reference)

Just had a 'phone call from my sister who is stuck on the M1. She has just moved about half a mile in the last hour and a half and the snow is starting to settle on the car. Not sure she's getting back to Leicstah tonight.

Apart from last year/week. :winkold: :P

(The user name is not a meteorological reference)

Just had a 'phone call from my sister who is stuck on the M1. She has just moved about half a mile in the last hour and a half and the snow is starting to settle on the car. Not sure she's getting back to Leicstah tonight.

Eh? I thought you'd be really angry at his post! :?

Got told by parents that they managed to get a lift to Northfield to do a bit of shopping (well sort of a lift - cars couldn't get up Barnes Hill!). They walked up the hill, did their shopping only to find that the buses had stopped. Poor sods had to walk back to Bartley Green with lots of bags, in the blizzard!

It's quite a walk from Barnes Hill to Northfield; did you mean Bell Hill (top of Shenley Lane on the immediate approach to Northfield town centre?

Walking back to Bartley Green (with bags) must have been knackering!

I expect some of our North American and Scandinavian VTers are having a chuckle at what we regard as heavy snowfall.

yes i must admit it is funny - we had 16inches on monday

after digging out i drove 8 miles to work

It's quite a walk from Barnes Hill to Northfield; did you mean Bell Hill (top of Shenley Lane on the immediate approach to Northfield town centre?

Walking back to Bartley Green (with bags) must have been knackering!

Aye, probably Bell Hill :lol: I quote my Dad when they phoned upon returning: "sorry, son. I'm hitting the brandy".

Â