Snow Watch!

trekka

Tucked away at the end of this story about snow disruption is this:

In Salisbury, a 77-year-old man who collapsed in the street nearly died of hypothermia after members of the public ignored him for nearly five hours.

Nice.

People can be so heartless!

Whereas here I popped in to see one of my 90 yr old widowed neighbours to see how she if she was coping & needed anything with the snow & I was surplass to requirements she'd had so much help!

• Replies 766
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bad news on the old man. The problem is these days, you see what looks like a drunk or a bum in the street and you tend to do nothing. This poor old chap might have been wrapped up so much they didn't bother to stop to check if he was a bum or a poorly old fella :( I know some police go over to check out stuff like this when people, even obvious tramps, are passed out on the floor. Poor man :(

Snow Theft

_50278369_006836819-1.jpg

Woman dials 999 to report snowman theft in Kent

The woman told the 999 operator she used pound coins for eyes and spoons for arms A woman who dialled 999 to report the theft of a snowman from outside her home has been branded "completely irresponsible" by Kent Police.

The force said the woman, from Chatham, thought the incident required their involvement because she used pound coins for eyes and teaspoons for arms.

During the call the woman said: "It ain't a nice road but you don't expect someone to nick your snowman."

Kent Police said officers had given her advice on real 999 emergencies.

The force said the call was made at the same time as operators fielded thousands of other phone calls about the heavy snowfall and sub-zero temperatures in the county.

During the conversation she said: "There's been a theft from outside my house.

"I haven't been out to check on him for five hours but I went outside for a fag and he's gone."

When she was asked who had gone, the woman replied: "My snowman. I thought that with it being icy and there not being anybody about, he'd be safe."

She was then asked whether it was an ornament, and answered: "No, a snowman made of snow, I made him myself.

Continue reading the main story

Start Quote

This call could have cost someone's life”

End Quote

Ch Insp Simon Black

Kent Police

"It ain't a nice road but at the end of the day, you don't expect someone to nick your snowman, you know what I mean?"

The operator then told her she had rung an emergency line and she should not be calling it to report the theft of a snowman.

Ch Insp Simon Black said: "This call could have cost someone's life if there was a genuine emergency and they couldn't get through.

"It was completely irresponsible.

"We have spoken to her and advised her what is a 999 call, and this clearly was not."

Awful news that two elderly people have been found dead in their gardens one old chap in the town just down the road from me Kirkby Stephen.

It is dreadful up here still snowing slightly on & off as well.

Sorry to hear that Julie. Good news is that our snow has turned to rain, so that's probably on its way over to you.

Yeah, we're expecting rain over the weekend. I had a nice call from the boss earlier - basically telling me to not worry about work, make the most of it and get out and about. He said he was about to open a bottle of brandy and sit in front of the fire reading a few books. What a nice chap.

Ha Ha I just heard on the news over here that a woman in Kent rang the emergency services because somebody stole her snowman. They played the call and she was deadly serious. There really are some loopy people about!

Ha Ha I just heard on the news over here that a woman in Kent rang the emergency services because somebody stole her snowman. They played the call and she was deadly serious. There really are some loopy people about!

It's on the Beeb website.... Made me chuckle!

I'd just laugh if someone did that to my snowman! I'd find what's left of him & hang a note saying please take me home!

Snow pretty much melted here now , even saw the sun for awhile this afternoon

and yet none of the couriers I've been expecting all day have made it through from Guildford ..Slackers

Starting peeing down here. I reckon the 5 inches or so of snow we have left might be gone by tomorrow evening. It's actually starting to feel quite warm :eek:

EDIT: Just checked and it's upto a barmy 2 degrees! Might get the sunlounger out tomorrow :lol:

EDIT again: I think all of the snow will be gone by the morning :(

Â