Snow Watch!

trekka

• Replies 766
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Temperature is upto 5c now. Boooooo!
Its like being in a different country - we've still got the 2 foot of the stuff, temp about -10 here. No Christmas shopping I suppose so not all bad

Its like being in a different country - we've still got the 2 foot of the stuff, temp about -10 here. No Christmas shopping I suppose so not all bad

That's what I get for living in sunny Southsea :( I want more snow and I want it to be so deep that I can't open my front door. Humbug.

I had to turn the heater off in the car at lunchtime today. The Midlands has been very lucky by the sounds of the rest of the country.

I haven't gone out since Thursday. I'm fine with the cold, well I hate the cold but I'm suitably prepared for that. It's just my car hates the smaller roads and I don't feel comfortable risking losing control, all the more so because of the accident (totally different scenario, but it's the whole out of control car thing that scares me). Grrr.. I need to take a friend to cheltenham later, pretty important stuff. I checked the motorway webcams, seems clear. I know the main roads here are fine.

Do I risk it for a biscuit? Is there chance of a cold snap that messes up my journey back?

I haven't gone out since Thursday. I'm fine with the cold, well I hate the cold but I'm suitably prepared for that. It's just my car hates the smaller roads and I don't feel comfortable risking losing control, all the more so because of the accident (totally different scenario, but it's the whole out of control car thing that scares me). Grrr.. I need to take a friend to cheltenham later, pretty important stuff. I checked the motorway webcams, seems clear. I know the main roads here are fine.

Do I risk it for a biscuit? Is there chance of a cold snap that messes up my journey back?

Every chance of a cold snap. Piers Corbyn is usually more accurate than the met office, and he's saying take their estimates of the amount of snow and double it. Also that it will be about 3 months of unusually cold weather.

Side roads are the problem. We went to Aviemore and back with less difficulty than I had moving my car five yards this morning, from where I had to park onto the central track of our road. Ended up spending half an hour with a hammer and cold chisel, cutting chunks of 5-6 inches packed ice off the road to make a track for my wheels to touch the road.

Hope that dog didn't go through the ice into Loch Morlich.

Her owner seemed to know where the water began, and pointed out a slightly different coloured strip where he said the water was. Saw them getting back into their car later, so no doggy paddle, apparently.

I nearly shit my pants last night as the recent thaw was just enough to bring all the 2 foot icicles crashing down from my roof into my front garden. For the briefest of moments, I though the house was collapsing but the end result look pretty impressive as they all pierced the snow and stayed vertical on landing.

Â