Stephen Ireland

Richard

Ireland is a good player when he's played in the correct position as shown for the first 45 minutes last night and the first 20 minutes against newcastle, when he's shifted into a holding midfielder role like he has been in the past 2 games he's shit but he's not to blame for that its the manager.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jesus i thought this was going to another thread to slag off Randy.

I agree Ireland looked handy last night and when gets a few more games and fitness should become a good player for us.

I like how he always looks for a forward pass if possible, good at the through balls too.

He has shown glimpses of a very good player from what I've seen. Looking forward to seeing more of him in the season. Seemed he was the only one willing to have a run and get at Rapid last night, everyone else was more than willing to play a boring game of pass the **** ball to the back four.

With a title like Stephen Ireland? Or was this just your attempt at PFE?

No no, i thought it would be you going on about him being signed without a manager again.

Great player! I might even get Ireland on my new Villa shirt!

I agree that he'd be effective further up the pitch, but I'm not opposed to him playing centrally if we're playing a 4-3-3 like last night. It's all well and good having him further up the pitch, but if you can't get the ball through to him theere's no point him being there!

In a central midfield 3 he's going to be in amongst the action for most of the game. As someone has said, we just need the other players to get onto his wavelengh so they can all link up as well as he intends!

I also think that with Luke Young and Warnock as the fullbacks, we will play a lot better as they can push forward and link up with the central midfield 3 and attacking 3 (as opposed to last night, when we had fullbacks with no confidence and ended up keeping the ball in defence constantly).

Just wondering why NRC seemed so reluctant to give him the ball at times?

NRC was also reluctant to pass to Albrighton last night too..... I don't think it was personal, just think NRC doesn't have the capacity to look up and pick a pass.

(also looked like someone had swapped his boots for clogs last night!)

I labelled him a "rich mans Lee Hendrie", he may still turn out to be so and maybe it was because most the team last night looked woeful BUT I thought he looked good for a while there. Distribution was good, he was box to box at times all over the middle a genuine midfield player.

I think he tired in the second half and obviously needs games but thought he looked decent last night.

I agree. Showed his vision, range of passing and willingness to get forward early on but faded very badly. He'll be good for us. He just needs a little help from his team-mates while he finds his feet. Help he didn't get last night.

Agreed, he has a touch of class an he worked hard until he tired.

Just wondering why NRC seemed so reluctant to give him the ball at times?

NRC was also reluctant to pass to Albrighton last night too..... I don't think it was personal, just think NRC doesn't have the capacity to look up and pick a pass.

(also looked like someone had swapped his boots for clogs last night!)

There were a number of times last night where NRC had an easy pass on and he decided to take on the opposition. Can't remember him managing it successfully though. I do wonder if maybe it's harping back to the tiff with MON about his distribution.

Back on topic, I was looking for the Ireland thread this morning as I thought (particularly in the 1st half) he was the one ray of light in an otherwise gloomy evening. I know as Villa fans we are somewhat bipolar so I'll be careful not to be too effusive in my praise but you could tell with his runs, passing and positional play that once he's bedded-in, he is going to be a real asset to the team.

Great player. I enjoy watching him, bit quicker than I thought.

Needs a bit of help in the middle, not sure who from, I'm still gutted that Delph blew his knee out, I think he'd be perfect in there with Petrov and Ireland. Ash and The Concorde out on the wings, lovely.

It'll come, when we stop getting hammered, it'll come :lol:

I thought Ireland played well until late second half, what he showed was that he has good energy and is very comfortable on the ball, many of his touches last night were one touch no more than 2-3 and it was quick, he kept the ball moving.

What he shown and this doesnt relate to himand id a bit off topic but the rest of team are simply not good enough on the ball, and move it slow and take too many touches, NRC could have played Albrighton down the wing a few times and this was apparent with Albrighton throwing his hands in the air in frustration a couple times.

This also happened willMilner he looked frustrated especially towards the end of last season with the same thing, also coinsidered with him playing for England......better players.

Anyway, I think Ireland in a few weeks will become very good I hope the rest of the team match him as otherwise he wont be as effected if you see what I mean

Great player. I enjoy watching him, bit quicker than I thought.

Needs a bit of help in the middle, not sure who from, I'm still gutted that Delph blew his knee out, I think he'd be perfect in there with Petrov and Ireland. Ash and The Concorde out on the wings, lovely.

It'll come, when we stop getting hammered, it'll come :lol:

the Concorde ha ha,good one that..i think Downing and Ash for the wings at the moment with Reo Stan holding with Ireland just ahead of the midfield,and with Gabby as the main man up front..

I might add, Concorde looked very sharp, and that delightful run he did was superb.

Irleand was very good IMO. He played deep, which he shouldn't, but he looked great on the ball and rarely, if ever gave it away.

As for Gabby, he looked brilliant, he can really make a splash this season and push for the Euro 2012 qualifiers. He's beefed up again, and now looks like Carew with speed.

I think you may be getting a little paranoid, Jez, although your one-man mission to defend Randy against all hint of doubt/criticism is impressive.

:lol:

Thanks briny ;)

Probably because he's done nothing to deserve all the shit apart from do his best for Villa.