Stephen Ireland

Richard

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm probably one of the few that would rather see Downing than Albrighton start, at least for a few matches, give Downing a run and see if he improves. If he doesn't, go with Albrighton. Or I'd play Downing most games and bring Albrighton in now and again.

How many chances do you want to give him??

Albrighton has done more in a handful of games than Downing has done since he's been here!

Hate to say this but I felt that Ireland getting injured in the warm up was one of the best things that could have happened to Villa on Sunday.

I was concerned that we would have fielded the same midfield set up as the one that played the week before at Newcastle, which I believe was going to happen until Ireland injured himself. If we had have done, I reckon we might have lost that game against Everton. Their midfield is better than Newcastle's IMO and look what damage they did to us. I was glad to see NRC come in and add a bit of steel to the centre.

This doesn't mean that I don't rate Ireland. I just want to see him played where he would have greater effect - off the font man. Which means NRC can give Petrov some much needed help and Ash can go out to the wings where he is used to playing. That leaves one place left for either Downing or Albrighton and right now, for me, that is a no brainer - Stewie, your on the bench son.

With the holdng midfielders we have, playing Ireland in a 4-4-2 is a recipe for disaster. Look how we were bullied out of it at Newcastle, where Ireland was playing deep alongside Petrov. They would be eaten for breakfast.

Ashley has to come back out wide, and Downing should be left to his flower arranging back at the heath!

I'd like to see Ireland and petrov more before I write it off. We got smashed at Newcastle but IMO that was more to do with Carroll making our defenders look ok awlful and downing and albrighton not doing enough to help our full backs, as I felt we were exploited down the flanks.

I'm not saying it would work but i don't think ireland playing in that position was the reason Newcastle killed us

We will have to see how it works out if he plays there all the time, i'm not too sure it will go well though. He is better further up, K Mac knows it himself so not sure why he's not using him there. Maybe he thinks he helps us to keep the ball on the floor when he plays deeper.

I'd like to see Ireland and petrov more before I write it off. We got smashed at Newcastle but IMO that was more to do with Carroll making our defenders look ok awlful and downing and albrighton not doing enough to help our full backs, as I felt we were exploited down the flanks.

I'm not saying it would work but i don't think ireland playing in that position was the reason Newcastle killed us

Ask any Man City fan about Ireland and they will probably tell you that he is not a versatile player at all... he CANNOT PLAY in the centre, he has to play in the hole.

I would like to see them play more together as well, but it does look to me like they are both to lightweight to stand up to the prem. Think about those two up against oure, De Jong and Barry for example!

I think we need to put Young back out wide left, and have Ireland in the hole behind Gabby.

Downing needs to be dropped, he is playing terribly IMO. When everyone is fit though, Delph and Petrov behind Ireland with Albrighton and Young on the wing and Gabby up top is a decent mix of youth, experience, pace, skill and finishing.

Ireland will end up being a great player for us, its just going to take osme time. The international break will be a real blessing for ireland, the club and hopefully the chairman, so we can sort out the gaffer situation.

I would like to see them play more together as well, but it does look to me like they are both to lightweight to stand up to the prem. Think about those two up against oure, De Jong and Barry for example!

I think we need to put Young back out wide left, and have Ireland in the hole behind Gabby.

Downing needs to be dropped, he is playing terribly IMO. When everyone is fit though, Delph and Petrov behind Ireland with Albrighton and Young on the wing and Gabby up top is a decent mix of youth, experience, pace, skill and finishing.

Ireland will end up being a great player for us, its just going to take osme time. The international break will be a real blessing for ireland, the club and hopefully the chairman, so we can sort out the gaffer situation.

I like the idea of this, but I don't think it will help us keep possession, which IMO is one of our worst flaws and one we need to address asap. I think in order to do that we may have to change our style of play and not rely on small but pacy wingers so much. It just frustrates me so much watching us play and having so little of the possession, I haven't enjoyed watching a villa match for so long now! If we do keep with the wingers, which has worked for us, we need a forward who can put away all the chances.

Alternatively, maybe something like, Petrov and Delph in the middle, then interchanging Ash and Ireland in the hole (meaning one on the subs bench), Albrighton on the right and maybe bring in a more traditional midfielder to occupy the spot on the left so when Albrighton bombs it down the wing, the left midfielder comes across into a three man midfield. Not sure who's good enough in our current squad for that role though, might be something to think about in January if we have any money. It's a tricky one for sure. I quite like the idea of Collins being a makeshift defensive midfielder though.

Makes you appreciate the headaches managers go through tactics-wise :P

Our fully fit first team should be

-------------------------------------Friedal-----------------------------------------

Young-------------Cuellar---------------------Dunne-------------------Warnock

Albrighton----------Petrov--------------------Delph----------------------Young

-----------------------------------Ireland----------------------------------------

------------------------------------Gabby---------------------------------------

Just whack in NRC for Delph until he's fit and ready.

I never want to see Ireland as a holding player again.

-------------------------------------Friedal-----------------------------------------

-----------------------------------Ireland----------------------------------------

------------------------------------Gabby---------------------------------------

No Dunne?

Perfection!

No Dunne?

Oh? :winkold:

Cuellar over Collins?!?! Not in my life time son!!!

The lack of credit Collins gets is unreal! He is a monster at the back. Cuellar hasn't played at CB for us yet and most people want him him to replace one of our most consistently good performers last season. It is a joke, people spouting nonsense and then others listen! Collins is every bit as good as Dunne and has frequently out performed him but because there was no story behind Collin's transfer the papers keep talking about Dunne.

Dunne and Collins at CB until one of their legs falls off!

Agree, Collins over Cuellar, however I'd rather play Collins in the middle with Stan than NRC atleast until Delph is fit, I really think he would be a great defensive/holding midfielder and maybe give Stan a bit more room to push up a bit.