Fabian Delph

davidplatt7

I like Delph but he needs to be able to be more free. I spoke to a Leeds fan and he was a box to box midfielder for them, chipping in with a lot of goals too. Dont see why we can have a formation with Petrov holding, Delph infront of him with either Bannan/Ireland/Jenas besides him. Our full backs hardly get forward so I really hate having two holding players, its the reason we create very little.

I like Delph but he needs to be able to be more free. I spoke to a Leeds fan and he was a box to box midfielder for them, chipping in with a lot of goals too. Dont see why we can have a formation with Petrov holding, Delph infront of him with either Bannan/Ireland/Jenas besides him. Our full backs hardly get forward so I really hate having two holding players, its the reason we create very little.

Agreed, i feel he is being held back at the moment. Needs a bit more of a free reign to roam and create.

He has got what it takes imo to make it as a top player.

He needs to contribute more. It's all well and good making a few decent passes, interceptions, tackles, tracking your man etc. But that is bread and butter for a Prem player. What is he contributing to the team on top of that, he doesn't create many chances, doesn't score goals, doesn't have an imposing prescence on the pitch. I like him, he's got a good attitude and is a good player, but does he have any other strings to his bow to make him a long term prospect in the middle of the park for a top half Prem side.

I think if we go 4-3-3 when Jenas gets fit, i think its perfect. Nice and balanced, if Delph pushes forward Jenas sits and vice versa.

I absolutely agree with you, here's to hoping that the manager does as well, I'm hoping our play is indicative of sorting out the defence before playing a more expansive game. *crosses fingers*

He needs to contribute more. It's all well and good making a few decent passes, interceptions, tackles, tracking your man etc. But that is bread and butter for a Prem player. What is he contributing to the team on top of that, he doesn't create many chances, doesn't score goals, doesn't have an imposing prescence on the pitch. I like him, he's got a good attitude and is a good player, but does he have any other strings to his bow to make him a long term prospect in the middle of the park for a top half Prem side.

spot on! he needs to this as milner did before him, till then he's not good enough

You probably know that I would replace Stan given a chance but he has not been playing this way from what I have seen. Eck is giving Stan licence to get forward and asking Delph to pick up more of the defensive role. This, IMO, is effecting his game - hence much of the negative comment he received after Saturday's game.

In the same way it has effected Stan's game when he had the defensive role? I have to admit, Stan is no Pirlo, but damn he is a good player!

Eh, Petrov is a defensive midfielder though, put him more attacking and he's extremely average.

So it's the excact opposite IMO Petrov/Delph. All Petrov's best attributes are defensively, all Delph best attributes point to more attacking player.

spot on! he needs to this as milner did before him, till then he's not good enough

I think the point people are trying to make, is that he hasn't got the freedom to do that. It's easy saying he needs to do what Milner did but if he's being told to sit in the midfield, not venture forward then we aren't going to see the game you/us want to see.

can't blame a player for not doing things he's not allowed to do.

You probably know that I would replace Stan given a chance but he has not been playing this way from what I have seen. Eck is giving Stan licence to get forward and asking Delph to pick up more of the defensive role. This, IMO, is effecting his game - hence much of the negative comment he received after Saturday's game.

In the same way it has effected Stan's game when he had the defensive role? I have to admit, Stan is no Pirlo, but damn he is a good player!

Eh, Petrov is a defensive midfielder though, put him more attacking and he's extremely average.

So it's the excact opposite IMO Petrov/Delph. All Petrov's best attributes are defensively, all Delph best attributes point to more attacking player.

Que? Petrov had a more attacking role at Celtic. My argument is valid.

without a doubt Delph is being held back...

if you watch him closely he is very hesitant to go forward...if he does venture forward with the ball after he's passed it he will jog backwards. That is not him deciding to..hes been told to.

him and petrov sit deep and try to let the front 4 do the damage...

and its failed miserably this season...

if you look back at him at leeds...he was dribbling past players, threading passes and scoring crackers...

hes got it in his locker its just McCeish doesn't want him to have the key

without a doubt Delph is being held back...

if you watch him closely he is very hesitant to go forward...if he does venture forward with the ball after he's passed it he will jog backwards. That is not him deciding to..hes been told to.

him and petrov sit deep and try to let the front 4 do the damage...

and its failed miserably this season...

if you look back at him at leeds...he was dribbling past players, threading passes and scoring crackers...

hes got it in his locker its just McCeish doesn't want him to have the key

Definately seems to be the case. Not only is he hesitant going forward he doesnt look confortable when under pressure in the first 3rd of the pitch.

Â