Fabian Delph

davidplatt7

That does sound like a rubbish offer.  OK - £100k a week for 4 or so years would be nice, but just getting established as an England regular and knowing you'll only get a handful of games would be career suicide.  Add to that playing under a manager who's a dead man walking.

Better to hang on for another year, be part of a resurgent Villa (well, hopefully mid table) and impress during the Euros (at least till England get knocked out) and see if Pep wants you. 

I think this is bullshit. He's always struck me as a good lad, I have no reason to believe he will go there. He said he wouldn't leave last summer and he didn't, when everyone had expected him to leave on a free. I believe everything he said on that video. 

Even if that wasn't the case, with the Euros next year it'd be incredibly stupid to risk his England place by spending the season as a back up player at one club rather than captain and leader of another. It doesn't matter how much money they offer, a place at the Euros next year is a once in a lifetime thing I'd imagine. He's sorted for life anyway.

I'm keeping faith in Delphy until I have reason not to and there is some confirmation he wants to go or a deal is in place. 

hope cleverly takes his place in England team if true

recoup what we paid?how about all the wages he was paid whilst injured not to mention treatment etc

hopefuly its all Rubbish

I just don't get why Villa would settle for just an £8 million release clause. I know they want to recoup their original purchase, but surely his value is far higher than that. Unless Delph wasn't going to accept the new contract unless the clause was low enough that other clubs would be interested. This is largely why I'm so against clubs leaving it so late to renew deals as the player ultimately holds all the power. Delph has been great for us and if this is the end, then I wish him all the best.. 

If he does leave then it really does give a new meaning to the word "loyalty".

I don't see Villa getting the £8m back which we paid for him initially as being loyal.

It's a nice gesture from him for sure, but that's not loyalty. 

• Like 2

It sounds like it was a case of stick a low clause in, or I can go for free at the end of the season.  It would be a real shame to see him go - particularly for such a low fee.  Ridiculous for an current England international.

If I was woy I'd give delph a call and tell him I'm only having first team footballers in the national side. He clearly rates him so would do well to keep his situation as it is.

If he does leave then it really does give a new meaning to the word "loyalty".

I don't see Villa getting the £8m back which we paid for him initially as being loyal.

It's a nice gesture from him for sure, but that's not loyalty. 

If he goes then he'll have managed to make a gesture that earns a business £8m out of thin air (I don't think too many of us would've been surprised or even held it against him if he'd left this summer on a free) and he'll still end up looking like a word removed. That's some achievement, and it's all down to what he said.

Let's hope it doesn't come to that.

• Like 2

Yeah you're right.

It would just be such a shame to see him to go Man City. Everyone knows exactly what will happen to him. He will go the exact same way as Rodwell, Johnson, Sinclair, Richards. He's not a big enough name for Man City, and honestly, he's not a good enough player. He's never going to influence games in the same way Yaya is. That's the calibre of player Man City should be signing if they want to improve. If they think signing players like Delph are going to help them compete for the title and Champions League then I think they need to have a look at themselves.

The only reason I can think of that Man City are remotely interested in Delph for is to satisfy the homegrown rule. He'd be stupid to go there.

I can see this one happening now to be honest, the story just wont go away and you'd think the club would come out and say he's staying if he is. Maybe we'll hear more about that side of things once the players are back in training. 

Edited by PieFacE

It would be a shame to see him go after his comments when he signed , he could of signed and said very little but to be so emotive in his comments for him to go now would be a poor showing from him.

As for City he is only an option as he English , also I doubt he get as much game time as Milner who got game time due to his ability to play in various roles.

I honestly wouldn't mind.  I think Delph is a good player, but overrated - especially by many fans on here.

Obviously Gueye is an unknown quantity, but the talking up of the player from France is far beyond anything that has been said about Delph - and he's potentially £1m more?

I just don't get why Villa would settle for just an £8 million release clause. I know they want to recoup their original purchase, but surely his value is far higher than that. Unless Delph wasn't going to accept the new contract unless the clause was low enough that other clubs would be interested. This is largely why I'm so against clubs leaving it so late to renew deals as the player ultimately holds all the power. Delph has been great for us and if this is the end, then I wish him all the best.. 

That is my believe the part in bold which i think is fine if he hadnt said he was here for long run and showing loyalty.

Â