Paddy's "Things that cheer you up"

rjw63

1 hour ago, BOF said:

I'd also hope there were plenty of white people protesting against the EDL march, showing solidarity with their neighbours, colleagues, friends etc.

Every one I've been to (only 2 or 3, admittedly), the EDL have been massively outnumbered by people of all ethnicities protesting against them. They rocked up in Nottingham towards the end of last year, and at a push there were about 40 of the knuckle dragging scum, opposed by at least a couple of hundred protesters a big portion of whom were white.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Every one I've been to (only 2 or 3, admittedly), the EDL have been massively outnumbered by people of all ethnicities protesting against them. They rocked up in Nottingham towards the end of last year, and at a push there were about 40 of the knuckle dragging scum, opposed by at least a couple of hundred protesters a big portion of whom were white.

Yeah, same here. It turned nasty in Newcastle, and to be fair most of the Geordies were in the side of the anti fascists. A group called Bishop Auckland Infidels (consisting of 2 people) organised a march in Darlington last year, and even inviting the now defunct, National Action (which totally blows away their argument that they're not racist, as National Action were openly so) and a couple of EDL members, it was a pitiful turn out by them.  

I hate them. They engage in bull-baiting, staying just above the live in order to enrage anti-fascist groups into attacking them, then get on the defensive with this bullshit 'tolerant-left' nonsense. It isn't intolerant to punch nazis.

Much like if somebody was taunting you about a dead relative without laying a finger on you, then you attack them, then they play the victim. It's infuriating.

17 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

I hate them. They engage in bull-baiting, staying just above the live in order to enrage anti-fascist groups into attacking them, then get on the defensive with this bullshit 'tolerant-left' nonsense. It isn't intolerant to punch nazis.

Much like if somebody was taunting you about a dead relative without laying a finger on you, then you attack them, then they play the victim. It's infuriating.

Mmm. To whatever extent anti-fascists are engaged in actual violence, they let down the cause. Whether it's 'intolerant' to punch Nazis or not, it's stupid and only makes an equivalence in behaviour where there is and should be none. 

If people can't control their emotions without boiling over into violence, they should probably stay away from political protests. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Mmm. To whatever extent anti-fascists are engaged in actual violence, they let down the cause. Whether it's 'intolerant' to punch Nazis or not, it's stupid and only makes an equivalence in behaviour where there is and should be none. 

If people can't control their emotions without boiling over into violence, they should probably stay away from political protests. 

I disagree. It's not as if it's down to a difference in politics. People like Richard Spencer advocate for racial cleansing. That is not a difference in political opinion. Politics is inherently emotional anyway, but once it gets to that sort of level, I don't think we should draw an equivalence between the actual nazi and the guy who punched him.

As I said, these sort of groups deliberately engage in bull-baiting, hiding behind 'free-speech' while spewing off vile hatred, but staying within the law. 

27 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Is there an equivalence in behaviour in this situation?

Edited by StefanAVFC
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, dAVe80 said:

A group called Bishop Auckland Infidels (consisting of 2 people) organised a march in Darlington last year,

Ha! It's like something out of a parody sketch! 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Xela said:

Ha! It's like something out of a parody sketch! 

Honestly mate, you needed to see it to believe it. What a bunch of sad acts! It was also pointed out on social media, that one of the guys who turned up to support them has a mail order Asian wife! Thick isn't the word!!

5 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

I disagree. It's not as if it's down to a difference in politics. People like Richard Spencer advocate for racial cleansing. That is not a difference in political opinion. Politics is inherently emotional anyway, but once it gets to that sort of level, I don't think we should draw an equivalence between the actual nazi and the guy who punched him.

As I said, these sort of groups deliberately engage in bull-baiting, hiding behind 'free-speech' while spewing off vile hatred, but staying within the law. 

Is there an equivalence in behaviour in this situation?

Getting 'boots onto the street' is a fascist tactic. Fascists seek and hope to provoke violent conflicts with anti-fascists, which a] make the news, b] help recruit footsoldiers looking for a bit of excitement, and c] lead the media to write tut-tutting 'both sides do it' editorials. I can promise you this is the dynamic. I have discussed this issue with (plain Tory) family members before, and had endless 'they're as bad as each other' comments in return. If people don't want to be seen as as bad as the fascists, then they have to behave better than the fascists. Frankly, it shouldn't be that **** hard. 

• Like 2

On 4/9/2017 at 19:22, Designer1 said:

The Steve Bruce thread.

Some absolute genius satire going on in there since yesterday. Fair play to all those involved.

At least I'm really, really hoping it's satire.

By coincidence, I was just reading the abstract to a paper about identifying trolls online, and it rang just so true:

Abstract

'User contributions in the form of posts, comments, and votes are essential to the success of online communities. However, allowing user participation also invites undesirable behavior such as trolling. In this paper, we characterize antisocial behavior in three large online discussion communities by analyzing users who were banned from these communities. We find that such users tend to concentrate their efforts in a small number of threads, are more likely to post irrelevantly, and are more successful at garnering responses from other users. Studying the evolution of these users from the moment they join a community up to when they get banned, we find that not only do they write worse than other users over time, but they also become increasingly less tolerated by the community. Further, we discover that antisocial behavior is exacerbated when community feedback is overly harsh. Our analysis also reveals distinct groups of users with different levels of antisocial behavior that can change over time. We use these insights to identify antisocial users early on, a task of high practical importance to community maintainers.'

https://arxiv.org/pdf/1504.00680v1.pdf

7 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

By coincidence, I was just reading the abstract to a paper about identifying trolls online, and it rang just so true:

Abstract

'User contributions in the form of posts, comments, and votes are essential to the success of online communities. However, allowing user participation also invites undesirable behavior such as trolling. In this paper, we characterize antisocial behavior in three large online discussion communities by analyzing users who were banned from these communities. We find that such users tend to concentrate their efforts in a small number of threads, are more likely to post irrelevantly, and are more successful at garnering responses from other users. Studying the evolution of these users from the moment they join a community up to when they get banned, we find that not only do they write worse than other users over time, but they also become increasingly less tolerated by the community. Further, we discover that antisocial behavior is exacerbated when community feedback is overly harsh. Our analysis also reveals distinct groups of users with different levels of antisocial behavior that can change over time. We use these insights to identify antisocial users early on, a task of high practical importance to community maintainers.'

https://arxiv.org/pdf/1504.00680v1.pdf

It's a bit like a puppy or a child. If you give them attention while they are doing something negative, they'll continue doing it. Trolls just crave attention and by engaging them you're encouraging them. Don't do it. I'm quite proud at how good I've gotten at completely ignoring trolls that I almost don't see them any more (outside of the ones I actually don't see due to ignores obviously). I'll read something and if it adds absolutely nothing to the discussion or doesn't make any valid counter point whatsoever I just let it filter through.

19 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I was in Birmingham centre but was completely unaware that was going on. If I'd known I'd have gladly gone along and protested against them.

I was in Brum the other week and was amused to overhear a policeman asking some demonstrators, whether they were in the right place, or whether they should be over in Victoria Square, 'where there are a larger group carrying the same placards'.  

The copper's deadpan was that of comedic myth and legend. :)

2 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

Saffiya Khan's lack of Brummie accent is disappointing.

Yeah, it was a tad weird. I'd guess she's a bit posh, and probably got sent to private school. From other photos and footage I saw it did turn out that she was wearing a Specials T-Shirt, and had a Black Flag logo on her jacket. :wub:

Watching old gigs on Youtube (from the 90's) and seeing people actually enjoying the music and getting lost in it and having a wonderful time. 

Nowadays it just seems like people stand still recording it on their phones or tablets so they can post it to social media later. 

10 hours ago, Xela said:

Watching old gigs on Youtube (from the 90's) and seeing people actually enjoying the music and getting lost in it and having a wonderful time. 

Nowadays it just seems like people stand still recording it on their phones or tablets so they can post it to social media later. 

I don't mind someone doing it for 20-30 seconds, its something you can look back on a year down the line and feel the moment again but as you said some people will literally watch the whole thing through their phone and just use the whole experience as something to go on their Facebook wall to show how busy and exciting they are.

14 hours ago, Xela said:

I'm not sure the Prophet would approve of her nose piercings!

Seriously though, well done her :)

Good-looking people who talk posh always get a free pass: its called the halo-effect.

And did Al-Muhajiroun ever really exist, anyway?

The ERD made a top ten list !

10 AREAS WITH THE HIGHEST JOBLESS BENEFITS RATES

Birmingham Ladywood 10.3% 

Birmingham Hodge Hill 8.9%

Foyle 8.7%

Middlesbrough 8.3% - 

Birmingham, Perry Barr 7.8% 

Birmingham, Erdington 7.6% 

Belfast West 7.4% 

Hartlepool 7.0% 

South Shields 7.0% 

Belfast North 6.8%