Paddy's "Things that cheer you up"

rjw63

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

Due to NI miscalculation I had a small payment off work today, it's already been spent on Discogs and eBay. 

I seemingly got a £365 tax refund in my payslip today.  I'm a bit wary about blowing it in case it's a cock up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

Due to NI miscalculation I had a small payment off work today, it's already been spent on Discogs and eBay. 

I had a small miscalculation in the other direction, I hope you spent my money wisely and no songs referencing affection for dead horses were purchased :D

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, bickster said:

I had a small miscalculation in the other direction, I hope you spent my money wisely and no songs referencing affection for dead horses were purchased :D

A fairly good cross section, although one album was by McCartney, sorry. 

6 minutes ago, bickster said:

you-youre-dead.jpg

To bring it back a bit, the other stuff was the second B52s album and an 80s 12" by a band called Stitched back foot airman, they did a song called invented by robots that Peel used to play and it's been filling my head for the past month. I couldn't find it online and I didn't buy it at the time. 

• Like 1

Been to South Wales coast today. Had a lovely lunch in Penarth and a walk along the pier then drove on to Porthcawl. Porthcawl is really beautiful, especially Rest Bay. The beach is great. About to go into town and have a look at the harbour before heading back.

I love Somerset but you drive the same distance in England and you get to Watchet which is nice but it has what I call coco pop milk sea. Here it’s got a blue tint to it. Gorgeous. Squint a bit and it could be Devon or Cornwall. 

Edited by Ingram85
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

Been to South Wales coast today. Had a lovely lunch in Penarth and a walk along the pier then drove on to Porthcawl. Porthcawl is really beautiful, especially Rest Bay. The beach is great. About to go into town and have a look at the harbour before heading back.

I love Somerset but you drive the same distance in England and you get to Watchet which is nice but it has what I call coco pop milk sea. Here it’s got a blue tint to it. Gorgeous. Squint a bit and it could be Devon or Cornwall. 

Fancy getting as far as Penarth and not going the extra distance to Barry Notanisland (The beaches are nicer despite my pisstaking)

I spent a lot of time in Porthcawl as a kid because my Great Aunt lived there, I view it with both fondness and dread

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bickster said:

Fancy getting as far as Penarth and not going the extra distance to Barry Notanisland (The beaches are nicer despite my pisstaking)

I spent a lot of time in Porthcawl as a kid because my Great Aunt lived there, I view it with both fondness and dread

We went to go to Barry, we got there and decided to carry on driving to Porthcawl. Sorry @chrisp65 😟

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

We went to go to Barry, we got there and decided to carry on driving to Porthcawl. Sorry @chrisp65 😟

Porthcawl is the rich man’s Barry Island.

And it is an island, the clue’s in the **** name.

But anyway, if ever you do ‘do’ Barry give us a shout and I’ll sort you out an ice cream on one of the quieter beaches.

Also, just to finish repping the tourist board, if you do Penarth again it’s top notch for charity shop clothes shopping. Catchment area has posh people that like labels but wouldn’t be seen dead in the same thing twice. Also also, if you park down Penarth Marina, you can then walk across the barrage and get something to eat over Cardiff Bay.

• Like 1

Penarth is ok, Piaget rooms are ok. The area around Penarth is interesting, Cosmeston Country Park is a nice walk, you’ve got Lavernock where Marconi did his radio thing. St Mary’s Well Bay is quite good for basic fossils. The view of Silli Island from The Captain’s Wife pub is nice.

I travel a bit, I’ve found worse places.

4 hours ago, bickster said:

Porthcawl wise, we didn’t fancy Coney Beach as we prefer quieter parts but the Harbour area was really nice however the highlight was Rest Bay, it really impressed me. Think we will go back and stay for a few days and explore a few more towns further round the coast. Also as Chris said, Cardiff Bay Area looks nice for a long weekend but that’s more of a city break instead of seaside. 

Just can’t believe I’ve never thought of going before, I just always seem to blindly stick to Somerset for a day trip. 

Edited by Ingram85
  • Like 2

Â