Paddy's "Things that cheer you up"

rjw63

As i'm a teacher the 6 weeks holidays ahead are cheering me up!

trips to London for the Olympics, b and bs in the Cotswolds, getting out on my bike in North Yorkshire, seeing my little niece for the first time in 6months, watching copious amounts of TV series/films and finally spending some quality time with the fiancee now she's finished her masters all beckon...

21085365.jpg

Note to self: don't tell Mike that summer break for teachers in the US is generally 10 or 11 weeks...
When I was at primary (US: elementary) school, our day finished at four o'clock.

This to me was one of the immutable, fixed points of the universe. Then, either from a Superman comic, or possibly from the lyrics of Chuck Berry's song "School days", I stumbled upon the fact that the US school day finished at THREE o'clock.

I cannot begin to describe how angry and outraged I was at this blatant injustice.

What did you do when you found out the French don't go to school on a Wednesday?

I was MAD!!!

(this was before I found out they have to go on Saturday instead)

What did you do when you found out the French don't go to school on a Wednesday?

I was MAD!!!

(this was before I found out they have to go on Saturday instead)

Yeah, similar reaction. The thought of school at weekends was outrageous though.

Note to self: don't tell Mike that summer break for teachers in the US is generally 10 or 11 weeks...
When I was at primary (US: elementary) school, our day finished at four o'clock.

This to me was one of the immutable, fixed points of the universe. Then, either from a Superman comic, or possibly from the lyrics of Chuck Berry's song "School days", I stumbled upon the fact that the US school day finished at THREE o'clock.

I cannot begin to describe how angry and outraged I was at this blatant injustice.

Would it piss you off if I said that my elementary school day was 8am to 2:08pm?

Would it piss you off if I said that my elementary school day was 8am to 2:08pm?

Probably would have done at the time. Although I would have been a bit torn by the 8.00 am bit. Just as a 4.00 pm finish was Holy Writ, so was a 9.00 am start. The thought of starting earlier would have freaked me out.

Why EIGHT minutes past two, incidentally? Seems a bit random.

Probably would have done at the time. Although I would have been a bit torn by the 8.00 am bit. Just as a 4.00 pm finish was Holy Writ, so was a 9.00 am start. The thought of starting earlier would have freaked me out.

Why EIGHT minutes past two, incidentally? Seems a bit random.

Just the way the schedule worked out. In sixth grade (when I moved to that town), students moved from classroom to classroom for different subjects, and it was just the way that the class periods scheduled out.

ive got a best man speech to write for December as well, will have to start preparing it soon, must have been a nice feeling PV!

Yeah, now it's sunk in properly it does feel great. My secret to success was writing a cheeky poem about their journey to marriage. Anything sounds good when it rhymes.

I got 6 weeks off too, well 5 and a half, but it's still great.

AND IT'S SUNNY!

8am is just too early. 9-3 was fine for me.

For us, officially it was 7.30-1.30 from primary all the way to A-levels.

Unofficially, school usually stretched way beyond that with extra tuition classes and extracurricular activities like arts and sports clubs (we were expected to join at least one, some of the crazier, more gung-ho ones would go for 2 or even 3).

In China it's even worse, schools that start classes at 7am or so and end at around 10pm aren't unheard of.

Finding wordy things I didn't know before. The following is a perfectly legal sentence.

Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo, buffalo Buffalo buffalo.

Then there's the one with 11 consecutive 'had's.

Finding wordy things I didn't know before. The following is a perfectly legal sentence.

Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo, buffalo Buffalo buffalo.

Indeed it is.

...bison who are intimidated or bullied by bison are themselves intimidating or bullying bison (at least in the city of Buffalo – implicitly, Buffalo, NY)...

i.e. New York bison whom other New York bison bully, themselves bully New York bison.

Wikipedia

Â