Paddy's "Things that cheer you up"

rjw63

I thing white pudding was a thing here ages ago (my parents' generation, so yes, way back), but it's now become more an Irish thing. And I agree, it's good. 

1 minute ago, blandy said:

That's untrue. Scotland certainly knows and so does much of Norn Iron, Northern Inglund and prolly bits of tidy welsh wales too. I reckon is mostly just southerners, and they don't count anyway.

Norn Iron does, which is why I said Britain (the land mass).  But if you're saying Scotland does, then fair dos.  Note : this is white pudding I'm talking about, not black pudding.  They're a very different product.

2 minutes ago, BOF said:

if you're saying Scotland does, then fair dos.

Yeah, it does. Tbh I thought it was a scottish invention - I couldn't conceive of another nation who'd invent such a thing :P.

46 minutes ago, BOF said:

But to go back to the breakfast above.  I find it amazing the fact that Britain, broadly speaking, doesn't know what white pudding is.  You're missing an entire food group.  It's like not knowing what a sausage is.  Last time I was over visiting some pals, they had some friends over for breakfast, and I had brought some white pudding (as part of a visiting care package).  It was an epiphany for their friends.  They couldn't believe they hadn't known this thing existed and they wanted to know if they could get it over there.  It seems you can get it, but it's probably in the Irish section of certain supermarkets.  Trust me, you're missing out.

You're right. White pudding is amazing, and hardly anyone here seems to have even heard of it. Clonakilty white pudding is the absolute tits (their black is lovely too)

Soon I won't be able to eat that again... I'm in Dublin in July, I may have to treat myself to a final supper style serving.

58 minutes ago, bickster said:

I'd imagine it may be the varnish or coating rather than the wood itself

EDIT: or the council inspectors are idiots.

I only knew about this because of something I heard 20 odd years ago which made me ditch plastic chopping boards and go with wood. The above article is more recent and just confirmed what I'd heard years ago. Lots of raw food is stored in wood all the way through the delivery process, so the claims that its unhygienic seemed bonkers

I found the article and it was because the wooden plates were damaged which made them "almost impossible to clean". So that must have been it.

The part in bold is entirely possible though!

ermm, they just sell white pudding in the standard supermarkets around here.

Fairly sure its just in with the black pudding and sausages and all that at Morrisons.

I didn't think it was a speciality / niche product.

• Like 1

Just now, Stevo985 said:

I found the article and it was because the wooden plates were damaged which made them "almost impossible to clean". So that must have been it.

The part in bold is entirely possible though!

If that's the reason then the bit in bold is entirely true

Just now, chrisp65 said:

ermm, they just sell white pudding in the standard supermarkets around here.

Fairly sure its just in with the black pudding and sausages and all that at Morrisons.

I didn't think it was a speciality / niche product.

My standard supermarkets are Waitrose, Booths and M&S. It is sold in none of those

Not sure I've ever set foot in a Morrisons (closest are not very)

I rarely food shop in Tesco or Sainsburys (the former on principle the latter because the quality to price ratio is all wrong)

Aldi / Lidl also nowhere convenient for me to be of any use

2 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

I can honestly say I’d not heard of “Booths” supermarket until two posts ago.

Up North only. It's a posh, pricey one. 

• Like 1

A supermarket with a "World Food" section will usually have white pudding in the Irish bit. But that might be region specific (depending if there's a large Irish community)

I've bought White Pudding in Morrisons, M&S and Tesco in Birmingham before.

Â