Paddy's "Things that cheer you up"

rjw63

3 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

This whole beans in a bowl thing has really upset me. I mean, if it actually was a bowl of beans then maybe just maybe. Because a bowl would hold a tin of beans and a tin of beans over your breakfast is possibly too much some mornings.

But it won't be a bowl will it. Not really, not in the world of man sized metrics and measurements. It'll be a mother **** ramakin. A measured out 15 bean ramakin of disappointment.

But why stop there, don't just measure out 15 beans. Surely we should have 9 chips in a stack, or 7 wedges in a mini galvanized bucket. Which leads us to salad on a **** slate or grilled chicken on a **** shovel and tea in a welly.

This is how we ended up with Hitler.

So angry right now.

"Tea in a welly" made snots come out.  Well done :thumb::crylaugh:

3 hours ago, BOF said:

"Tea in a welly" made snots come out.  Well done :thumb::crylaugh:

If you think that's good, wait until you read something actually funny.

sassy oh no you didnt GIF

Ooooooooohohoohohohohooho yes I did, little girl. 

:P 

;)

Not mine, but how I prefer it. Gives you the choice of adding the beans when and where you so desire.

I add mine after the eggs have been finished. 

our-full-english-breakfast.jpg

Just now, bickster said:

Don't get me started on the lack of a plate...

I'm with you on that! 

I have been served chips in a mini flower pot and more than once received my fish n chips like this...

5121qT5iLdL._SY450_.jpg

15 hours ago, Xela said:

;)

Not mine, but how I prefer it. Gives you the choice of adding the beans when and where you so desire.

I add mine after the eggs have been finished. 

our-full-english-breakfast.jpg

They look like really poor quality sausages. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Lack of a plate is one thing.

But using a wooden board to serve food on is really unhygienic. 

Not remotely true

Most of the studies described in this review are about the first use and reuse of wooden boards. This seems to be the consequence of an opinion that links the porous nature of wood with a hygienic trouble. Indeed, there is a great deal of evidence that porosity is an advantage for the microbiological status of wood in contact with food, even when processing food. In fact, its structure generates surface cavities that can trap bacteria in a state unfavorable for their survival, so bacterial growth is extremely limited. The rough or porous surface of wood is also an advantage for controlling the level of surface moisture. This was particularly highlighted by the French Agency for Food, Environmental and Occupational Health and Safety (ANSES, France) in the case of maturing wooden planks, which enable the regulation of the moisture content required for biofilm development on cheeses (AFSSA 2008). This same French agency authorizes wooden boards in direct contact with food. In 2014, Lortal and others (2014) described the role of wood as a “reservoir of microbial biodiversity for traditional cheeses” according to the results of safety assessments. Moreover, the natural biofilms which form on wooden surfaces have been proved safe and able to inhibit pathogenic bacteria with mechanisms that need to be further explored (Mariani and others 2011). Thus, according to the studies described above, different untreated timber species can be used for direct contact in the food industry.

From here (much much more on link)

1 hour ago, bickster said:

Not remotely true

From here (much much more on link)

I can't be even remotely bothered to read that link, so I'll take your word for it.

But a restaurant near my mom's house was recently fined £50k specifically because they were serving food on wooden "plates", despite being warned not to on a previous visit. 

So maybe it's certain types of wood, or the wood can't be damaged or something, but I imagine there must be some sort of genuine concern.

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I can't be even remotely bothered to read that link, so I'll take your word for it.

But a restaurant near my mom's house was recently fined £50k specifically because they were serving food on wooden "plates", despite being warned not to on a previous visit. 

So maybe it's certain types of wood, or the wood can't be damaged or something, but I imagine there must be some sort of genuine concern.

I'd imagine it may be the varnish or coating rather than the wood itself

EDIT: or the council inspectors are idiots.

I only knew about this because of something I heard 20 odd years ago which made me ditch plastic chopping boards and go with wood. The above article is more recent and just confirmed what I'd heard years ago. Lots of raw food is stored in wood all the way through the delivery process, so the claims that its unhygienic seemed bonkers

Just now, bickster said:

I'd imagine it may be the varnish or coating rather than the wood itself

Yep I've always heard that wood (usually in the context of chopping boards) is, in effect, anti-bacterial (wood naturally produces something which kills bacteria).  Which is why glass chopping boards are far more dangerous than wooden ones from a hygiene perspective.

• Like 1

But to go back to the breakfast above.  I find it amazing the fact that Britain, broadly speaking, doesn't know what white pudding is.  You're missing an entire food group.  It's like not knowing what a sausage is.  Last time I was over visiting some pals, they had some friends over for breakfast, and I had brought some white pudding (as part of a visiting care package).  It was an epiphany for their friends.  They couldn't believe they hadn't known this thing existed and they wanted to know if they could get it over there.  It seems you can get it, but it's probably in the Irish section of certain supermarkets.  Trust me, you're missing out.

• Like 3

Just now, snowychap said:

The what? :)

What's down that aisle, then? Beef, potatoes, Guinness and whiskey?

Certain brand names specifically imported for ex-pats.

27 minutes ago, BOF said:

Britain, broadly speaking, doesn't know what white pudding is

That's untrue. Scotland certainly knows and so does much of Norn Iron, Northern Inglund and prolly bits of tidy welsh wales too. I reckon is mostly just southerners, and they don't count anyway.

Â