Paddy's "Things that cheer you up"

rjw63

@BOFyou just reminded me to try and buy Beth Gibbons tickets which went on sale today.... £50 (well almost) for a standing gig at the real Albert Hall in Manchester... I'm out, not a chance I'm going to pay that

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bickster said:

@BOFyou just reminded me to try and buy Beth Gibbons tickets which went on sale today.... £50 (well almost) for a standing gig at the real Albert Hall in Manchester... I'm out, not a chance I'm going to pay that

I was ~44k in the queue (yes really). By the time I got to the front, the €86 tickets were gone. I ended up getting 2 x €142 + ticketmaster etc came to €313. But I don't care. It's a bucket list that I thought I missed out on. And the €56 extra would take you a few hours in a Dublin pub to spend. So pittance in the grand scheme. I'm a happy bunny today.

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

13 minutes ago, BOF said:

I was ~44k in the queue (yes really). By the time I got to the front, the €86 tickets were gone. I ended up getting 2 x €142 + ticketmaster etc came to €313. But I don't care. It's a bucket list that I thought I missed out on. And the €56 extra would take you a few hours in a Dublin pub to spend. So pittance in the grand scheme. I'm a happy bunny today.

I get that absolutely,, people have different tolerances for different events

I might have considered it differently if it was Beth Gibbons getting Portishead back together

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bickster said:

me neither 

Who is she anyway 

Hearing about Portishead gave me a craving to listen to Teardrop.

And before you say it, yes, I know.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

ah ok  

Who are Portishead 

Go beyond Bristol, go to the silted brown grey shoreline of the Severn. The wrong side of the Severn, where you don’t even get to see the sunrise. Divest yourself of all hope. Imagine a heroin habit you are trying to kick, but you worry if you kick the heroin you’ll begin to remember why you were taking heroin.

Now it’s beginning to rain, the rain is cold and in your face no matter what way you face.

It’s getting dark now, another day almost dead.

That’s Portishead. They don’t tend to get a lot of their music put on adverts for air fresheners or washing powder. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Except me, obviously. 

Obviously I don’t know if you’ve gone out of your way to check to see if you’ve heard it, come back and confirmed that belief.

But for me it’s one of those songs that people have heard but they don’t realise they know it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Everyone has heard Glory Box.

Just looked it up, and Sour Times. Definitely heard them before, many times, but couldn't have told you who sang them before now. 

Â