Paddy's "Things that cheer you up"

rjw63

1 minute ago, Xela said:

Just looked it up, and Sour Times. Definitely heard them before, many times, but couldn't have told you who sang them before now. 

A reasonable chance you have heard “Roads” too.

• Thanks 1

Right. Just checked out both songs, and I was right - never heard them before, never even hear of them before. 

I sometimes get the impression that you lot think that this is an act, but I can assure you it isn't. That whole style/era/genre of music left me completely cold, to the extent that if a track was playing (say) on a TV or film soundtrack (the only likely instance, as I never listen to radio), it would simply have gone in one ear, and out the other, to be immediately forgotten. 

FWIW, I thought those two tracks were largely inoffensive, but left me with no desire to explore further. 

4 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Right. Just checked out both songs, and I was right - never heard them before, never even hear of them before. 

I sometimes get the impression that you lot think that this is an act, but I can assure you it isn't. That whole style/era/genre of music left me completely cold, to the extent that if a track was playing (say) on a TV or film soundtrack (the only likely instance, as I never listen to radio), it would simply have gone in one ear, and out the other, to be immediately forgotten. 

FWIW, I thought those two tracks were largely inoffensive, but left me with no desire to explore further. 

I don’t ever think it’s an act.

I just think it’s one of those songs that is kinda used to evoke a particular mood. I can imagine if I watched a 90’s tv drama, let’s say “This Life”, Glory Box would feature somewhere.

It’s has a sort of low key ubiquitous quality, I guess.

4 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Go beyond Bristol, go to the silted brown grey shoreline of the Severn. The wrong side of the Severn, where you don’t even get to see the sunrise. Divest yourself of all hope. Imagine a heroin habit you are trying to kick, but you worry if you kick the heroin you’ll begin to remember why you were taking heroin.

Now it’s beginning to rain, the rain is cold and in your face no matter what way you face.

It’s getting dark now, another day almost dead.

That’s Portishead. They don’t tend to get a lot of their music put on adverts for air fresheners or washing powder. 

My Sister in Law lived in Portishead. 

Actually, where is the boring thread? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

So isn’t really that you’ve heard it and not registered it? I’d say the chances of you not having ever heard either of those songs played somewhere is close to zero.

14 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

So isn’t really that you’ve heard it and not registered it? I’d say the chances of you not having ever heard either of those songs played somewhere is close to zero.

If you can tell me a TV programme or film that featured it, and it I know I've seen it, then I concede I must have heard it. Otherwise... <shrug>. 

24 minutes ago, sidcow said:

True. Another thread musicjacked. 

I tried to drag it into the Music Chat thread, but alas, it wasn't meant to be! :) 

• Thanks 1

Just glad its the weekend. Been a challenging week at work. No, I don't work with Chris Heck!

Mega busy, and had to do a few things which were outside of my comfort zone (kw). All went well though. Feel relieved! 

10 hours ago, Xela said:

Just glad its the weekend. Been a challenging week at work. No, I don't work with Chris Heck!

Mega busy, and had to do a few things which were outside of my comfort zone (kw). All went well though. Feel relieved! 

My job is piss easy at the moment. I almost feel guilty with how cushy it is. I will need to speak to my boss at some point about taking a bit more on.

Just now, Genie said:

My job is piss easy at the moment. I almost feel guilty with how cushy it is. I will need to speak to my boss at some point about taking a bit more on.

I had my last day yesterday at my last job and I was doing compliance review of Non Clinical NHS standards and my god it was easy. It was ridiculous. Start new job on Monday and the cushy life of Riley will be gone. 

2 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I had my last day yesterday at my last job and I was doing compliance review of Non Clinical NHS standards and my god it was easy. It was ridiculous. Start new job on Monday and the cushy life of Riley will be gone. 

It’s nice for a while, a few days maybe a couple of weeks tops but then I just get fed up and want something to sink my teeth into.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Genie said:

5 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

giphy.gif

47 minutes ago, Genie said:

It sounds great, but the days can drag. 

I'm the opposite... days fly, as well as weeks and months. Its a bit scary! 

• Like 1

Back in Sutton for the weekend - caught up with some mates last night in Boldmere and stupidly stayed out until 3 am…

already in Sutton meeting another mate before ‘drinking in town’ with guys I joined my job with 28 years ago for our annual reunion. 

I already know it’ll get messy!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, theboyangel said:

Back in Sutton for the weekend - caught up with some mates last night in Boldmere and stupidly stayed out until 3 am…

already in Sutton meeting another mate before ‘drinking in town’

The 3.00am session alone would have meant an immediate two days in Hangover Hospital for me. At any age. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

The 3.00am session alone would have meant an immediate two days in Hangover Hospital for me. At any age. 

I don’t learn and should know better.

I’ve always been fairly lucky with hangovers as rarely have them - nowadays I just get really jaded, although last night was a mix of red wine and IPA (which I hardly ever drink) so a little fuzzy today.

The first Guinness of the day is a struggle for sure. 

10 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

I don’t learn and should know better.

I’ve always been fairly lucky with hangovers as rarely have them - nowadays I just get really jaded, although last night was a mix of red wine and IPA (which I hardly ever drink) so a little fuzzy today.

The first Guinness of the day is a struggle for sure. 

For me the first Guinness of the day would always be a struggle. And the second, and the third, but I hope I'd come to my senses by then and start drinking something that didn't taste like shit. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Â