Paddy's "Things that cheer you up"

rjw63

After a month or two with no success, I binned my crap CV last night  that I first made 3-4 years ago and started from scratch. Got invited to 4 interviews today. Result. :)

• Like 3

That I've hopefully only got another three decades on this shithole.

The planet not VT...

Well if it's that bad then you can make that 1 day.

Not cool dude
  • Like 1

That I've hopefully only got another three decades on this shithole.

The planet not VT...

Well if it's that bad then you can make that 1 day.

How charming.

My Son got Grade 6 maths at primary school. Quite a big achievement, the only one at his school. Then the same day we got the results, it was his end of school leaving do, where they did a 60's night. He gave a great performance of Ain't no mountain high enough.

• Like 2

My Son got Grade 6 maths at primary school. Quite a big achievement, the only one at his school. Then the same day we got the results, it was his end of school leaving do, where they did a 60's night. He gave a great performance of Ain't no mountain high enough.

cool kids are cool

We should have a thread where we can just talk about our kids but the jaffas and virgins on this site can't enter and go all Kevin and Perry on us.

In a comp of several hundred kids per year group my youngest nipper has just won 'top prize' in two curriculum subjects plus the 'general good egg' award.

It's certainly not a comp that believes in solely inclusive group efforts without 'winners'. They have a separate rec room with a costa coffee franchise and a gym with extra equipment for the kids that excel in any way - be it massive personal improvement, excellent attendance, or really good in a particular subject. The rewards just ramp up the better they are.

Downside: nipper has just been given a wadge of additional summer homework for selected geeks and nerds and has been invited to some 'summer workshops'

• Like 2

cool kids are cool

We should have a thread where we can just talk about our kids but the jaffas and virgins on this site can't enter and go all Kevin and Perry on us.

In a comp of several hundred kids per year group my youngest nipper has just won 'top prize' in two curriculum subjects plus the 'general good egg' award.

It's certainly not a comp that believes in solely inclusive group efforts without 'winners'. They have a separate rec room with a costa coffee franchise and a gym with extra equipment for the kids that excel in any way - be it massive personal improvement, excellent attendance, or really good in a particular subject. The rewards just ramp up the better they are.

Downside: nipper has just been given a wadge of additional summer homework for selected geeks and nerds and has been invited to some 'summer workshops'

could we have a thread for our children where they discuss whose dad is bigger than whose :)

Going from my Facebook feed though and all the proud parents with the kids winning best at XXX , first in xxx race and teachers award for most likely to cure cancer ,invent free energy  and Free Tibet   ... aren't there any normal kids around  any more  ?

Are these school making the races one person per event so everyone wins ???    .... but what happened to keeping kids grounded , when I won my races my dad would say Meh , you should have won it by a bigger margin and we moved on ..nowadays  you have to triumphantly tell the world how little Johnny won the balancing an egg on a spoon race and how Usain Bolt better watch out ..

My kids are great btw , but they are also little buggers and the only teachers award they will win is "most likely to drop their pants and moon on national TV "   ...

and for Facebook users they have inherited my weasling out of things gene so that's why I'm not regaling you all with tales of how they got 99% in every exam and only didn't score 100% to make the other kids feel better about themselves

Edited by tonyh29

I don't do facebook.

See, I was just trying to big up my kids which is perfectly natural and also trying to throw in the fact that they are in a 'bog standard' non-Goved comprehensive but because of the staff they do exceptional stuff.

I talk to parents of kids at other schools about what they've been up to and they are amazed at the programme of events and the facilities at, what is, the default choice state funded comp for our area. It tells me that regardless of location and regardless of the political desire to impose whatever variation of whatever system it basically boils down to whether the teachers and leaders have drive and vision and whether enough parents support them.

As for whether there are 'normal' kids any more, about 10% of the pupils won some form of award, which by my mental arithmetic means 88.7% didn't.

------

These exceptionally driven and enthusiastic teachers took the kids to London this week for a couple of nights to see a couple of musicals and generally make a nuisance of themselves around St Pauls.

Had I had facebook, I'd have known that all 6 teachers had to be rescued, pissed and emotional, from a stuck hotel lift at about 2:00am. 

• Like 1

I don't think I have shown off or anything. I certainly wouldn't with his friends or parents of his friends.  But level 6 is quite an achievement for him, its quite impressive nationaly

• Like 1

I don't think I have shown off or anything. I certainly wouldn't with his friends or parents of his friends.  But level 6 is quite an achievement for him, its quite impressive nationaly

Na, I know you haven't and you're right to be very proud, I'm sure that is a fantastic achievement! :

Parent's competing and showing off is what does my head in, trying to use 5+ year olds to "one-up" each other annoys me.

My baby is bigger than your baby and could beat your baby up.

My dad said so.

• Like 3

Â