Ciaran Clark

TheSufferingVilla

Some of the comments from last night are pathetic. Total over reaction.

Are you surprised?

I actually am, just because of the amount of people jumping on his back after one silly mistake. Although I should have expected it. At the game, after we conceded, some fans actually booed Clark's next touch of the ball!

It isn't just one silly mistake though. There were 2 others last night.  In addition when some players make a mistake - you can say they even it up - with a cracking tackle, or goal line clearance, etc.. I didn't see anything from Clark to atone for his error.

Clark just doesn't do this - his only sort of attribute is that he intercepts passes - but that's not nearly enough at this level.

In a way its not his fault....he had done nothing in the 2 seasons prior to suggest he was ready for a full season as one of our first choice defenders - I think Lambert hoped that he would play himself into some sort of form - well its March now and that hasn't happened. Sadly we have no back up @ cb

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of the comments from last night are pathetic. Total over reaction.

Are you surprised?

I actually am, just because of the amount of people jumping on his back after one silly mistake. Although I should have expected it. At the game, after we conceded, some fans actually booed Clark's next touch of the ball!

in fairness its not just 1 mistake though. Id say that since start of season Clark has been at fault for nearly 15 goals we have conceded.

The only other defender i have seen as bad as him this season is Thomas Vermaelen

Hes too slow at this level, no accelerartion, gets drawn out of position, does'nt anticipate danger, not the best footballer.Not a top Prem player, lower Prem/Championship player at best.

The trouble is, who do you replace him with?Herd, too small, and erm?, thats it.

The incompetence of the management is imcomprehensible.

I was about to post about this learning from his mistakes bs but i see someone beat me too it, he just isnt learning from it and at the moment baker is way better along. It a shame vlaar is a sicknote because he and baker are by far our best cb's

Did you really have to call my post bullshit(bs) first in order to share your opinion?

I agree with you that Vlaar and Baker is the better pairing, no doubt. I rate Baker highly, higher then Clark. But they're two diffrent types of players. The new and old breed of defenders if you'd like.

The what you call "learning from his mistakes bs" is something I firmly believe in though. If you expect a player to learn from his mistake after comitting it only once you're ignorant(just as you might call me ignorant for not accepting that some players won't learn).

It takes time(yes, I know we don't have time). It's trial and error, over and over again. Learning from one mistake doesn't mean you'll sort out any types of mistakes from your game either. 

Making a mistake in defence is very costly, and  a lot more noticable. I've seen far more experienced and better players then Ciaran Clarck do similar types of mistakes(or worse) before. I think he'll become a good modern day defender in a year or two.

Sorry, didn't call your post bs i called the notion that clark is learning from these mistakes as bs. He's still doing the same things that have cost us points all season. He isn't the sole reason of course but he has shown is he isn't good enough for this level or at least not yet imo. Why wasn't the CB issue not addressed in jan i don't know instead we went for a DM that we refuse to use.

Made a big mistake yesterday as younger players tend too. I'd drop him for the next few games just to give him a rest, he has played an awful lot of football this season in a team struggling so he might need a break to sort his head out.

Let's face it, he's shocking but that's our level.

Hahaha!

People forget that when Houllier moved him into midfield, Manure were sniffing. I will go out on a limb here and say that he will prove you wrong. Maybe not at CB, but for me, in his strongest position.......central midfield.

Makes me sick how we jump on people whom we were praising a season or two ago.

How sad we boo Gareth Barry, just because he noted we were going nowhere under Lerner. And we all forget he gave us over ten years loyal service. How small time is that?

He gets more abuse than Lerner lol......embarressed is not the word

Edited by MagicMushroom
  • Like 1

It's a lot to ask a fringe player who has done very little to justify a starting role in defence to come in a position they have barely played and expect them to be the finished article.

I do think he has the attributes to be a good player but by the time he has the experience needed to be a first choice centre back we may well be in another league.

• Like 1

he's made some howlers, he's also made a load of good last ditch tackles too. i don't think he deserves half the abuse he's  getting and will turn out to be a good player for us. as i sa, he's made some howlers and he needs to get his concentration head on for 90 minutes a game not 85.

he's made some howlers, he's also made a load of good last ditch tackles too. i don't think he deserves half the abuse he's  getting and will turn out to be a good player for us. as i sa, he's made some howlers and he needs to get his concentration head on for 90 minutes a game not 85.

Vlaar has made some howlers, but does he get this amount of abuse?

No, we turn on our own, when we should be backing them. No wonder they play shit.

No, we turn on our own, when we should be backing them. No wonder they play shit.

Exactly - a lot of our fans are getting what they deserve. 

FFS.the time was at 44 minutes,there was 1 minute to go to half time and the score was 0-0.It is not the time to **** about, especially with Dzeko lurking nearby.You hoof the ball upfield and go in at half time at 0-0.

FFS.the time was at 44 minutes,there was 1 minute to go to half time and the score was 0-0.It is not the time to **** about, especially with Dzeko lurking nearby.You hoof the ball upfield and go in at half time at 0-0.

He fcuked up. But there was no need for the abuse i noticed the other evening.

Actually I'd argue we have a long history of giving our own players far more time and benefit of the doubt than we do players we sign.

As for trying to blame the fans for the mistakes of the players, that really is nonesense.

I thought he came out and lead by example at the back in the 2nd half. By that I mean he made a couple of decent blocks etc and he always gives it 100%. I think hes a decent lad, but him as captain (with all due respect) shows how poor the team is really.

Baker is the future, Clark's career will be in the championship. But as Baker ain't ready, why didn't we buy two centre backs in the transfer windows - we bought one with a dubious injury record. Poor judgement, and not said in hindsight on my part, I though so at the time. But Clark, oh dear, never rated him and he's costing us so many points it's quite shocking.

Â