Confirmed: Houllier is the new Villa manager

danceoftheshamen

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wondered if any other club has appointed a manager who might well upset ~ annoy ~ severely p. Off three members of your strongest starting eleven.

Doesn't exactly sound like either a safe or indeed correct appointment to me.

Do you think the bookies will pay out If we appoint a DOF ?

On Kevin McDonald if he's first team coach

5. In the event that Aston Villa FC change the structure of their management team and do not call the appointed individual first team manager, Betfair will settle the market on the individual who is responsible for picking the first team. In the event of any ambiguity over the appointment, Betfair may determine using its reasonable discretion how to settle the market based on all the information available to it at the relevant time.

I should imagine that might get quite interesting if anyone on betfair stands to lose out big time due to Betfair's 'reasonable discretion'.

Mark Davies always used to try and claim that they were nothing more than the vehicle.

I emailed Ladbrokes after my 1st post as I've a few quid on with them and this is what I got back in return.

Ladbrokes state ; Winnings bets will be paid on the basis AVFC appoint a full time manager. If a DOF is announced and a coach appointed to handle squad selection and 1st team affairs and NO one person is know by the title AVFC 1st team manager all bets will remain valid until a 1st team manager is announced.

To me that's confussing because if we appoint a DOF and I've got £50 on say Moyes my bet will remain valid as we haven't got a manager. Does this mean that If we got Moyes in 2 years and during that 2 years my bet remained valid will they pay me out ?? :confused:

I thought Friedel couldn't get a work permit to play at Liverpool, or was that Newcastle... Warnock wasn't deemed good enough, but I would be disappointed in the players if they behaved like this. Water under the bridge and all that. Both players are better than they were when managed by Houllier anyways.

Probably just fabrication.

I emailed Ladbrokes after my 1st post as I've a few quid on with them and this is what I got back in return.

Ladbrokes state ; Winnings bets will be paid on the basis AVFC appoint a full time manager. If a DOF is announced and a coach appointed to handle squad selection and 1st team affairs and NO one person is know by the title AVFC 1st team manager all bets will remain valid until a 1st team manager is announced.

To me that's confussing because if we appoint a DOF and I've got £50 on say Moyes my bet will remain valid as we haven't got a manager. Does this mean that If we got Moyes in 2 years and during that 2 years my bet remained valid will they pay me out ?? :confused:

Yes exactly

Yes exactly
It means they can keep your money in their account ticking over making interest until such a time a manager is appointed who will probably not be one of those shortlisted at this time and basically laugh all the way to their bank.

I would chance Klinsmann too...He has good connections and I think is somone that would work very well alongside KMac.
Apparently Randy wanted him originally, he's currently out of work, he's not a "media name" and he is overall a good manager (at least in my opinion). I dunno though, I'm starting to feel like Houllier is inevitable simply because that's all the media have been talking about. Of course, just because the media wont stop blabbing on about Houllier doesn't mean we'll get him.

I thought Friedel couldn't get a work permit to play at Liverpool, or was that Newcastle... Warnock wasn't deemed good enough, but I would be disappointed in the players if they behaved like this. Water under the bridge and all that. Both players are better than they were when managed by Houllier anyways.

Probably just fabrication.

Friedel got a work permit before Houllier arrived at Anfield (he only got it on appeal though - took a couple of months iirc). When Houllier arrived he bought in Sander Westerveld to be number one keeper (who was rather shite) then let Friedel go on a free transfer (shows how little he thought of him) and replaced him with Peggy Arphexhad (who was even worse than Westerveld). He basically let the best keeper on his books go on a free because he didn't rate him, bought an inferior keeper to be number one and an awful keeper to be back up.

Huge cock up on the keeping front I'd say

2nd."They do exactly what it says on the tin"; These managers are the average managers that do the expected...ie Martin O'Neill.

I don't know how you came to that conclusion and I will have to disagree. We have over performed if anything especially last season when we got into the cup final. we haven't had any amazing player but more like a small squad of players that have played as a unit and pulled off some great results.

Likewise, Moyes has done a very similar job at Everton. A small squad but one which has again, pulled off some great results.

Just my opinion of course.

As long as Moyes were the next 'permanent manager', yes.

Interesting, as I wouldn't be surprised if most bookies voided the bets (though Power might well pay out on either a DOF or head coach depending upon which was better (value) publicity).

Don't lose/tear up your slip. :winkold:

This is what Betfair are doing: In the event that Aston Villa FC change the structure of their management team and do not call the appointed individual first team manager, Betfair will settle the market on the individual who is responsible for picking the first team. In the event of any ambiguity over the appointment, Betfair may determine using its reasonable discretion how to settle the market based on all the information available to it at the relevant time.

The Bookmakers must be making an absolute killing on this one ever since MON walked.

There must be loads of mug punters out there who lumped on huge wedges on Moyes, Hughes, Klinsmann, Hitzfeld, et al

Anybody crying in their beer yet?

If they had far out odds then there would be little money on them so the bookies would be laughing louder than a loud thing.

Bookies don't lose money on these markets, they limited exposures and close the books as soon as they are reached.