Confirmed: Houllier is the new Villa manager

danceoftheshamen

why is everyone saying klinsmann? the statement clearly said has prem experience and he has none!

so that basically rules him out

Had a couple of years at Spurs, think the gen confirmed prem experience included as a player.

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

why is everyone saying klinsmann? the statement clearly said has prem experience and he has none!

so that basically rules him out

Ahhh...your missing the point Dem! Its a curve ball..you see he does have Premiership experience... :winkold:

Ronald Koeman wants Aston Villa job

Former Ajax coach Ronald Koeman is interested in taking over at Aston Villa after claiming the club contacted his agent last week.

Published: 8:53AM BST 01 Sep 2010

Villa are yet to name Martin O'Neill's successor with Kevin MacDonald currently occupying the role on a caretaker basis.

Various names have been linked with the job and Koeman has thrown his hat into the ring.

"Yes, of course I am interested to listen to everybody. The Premier League is a very strong competition and I'm interested in that, yes," he said.

"There was a contact with my agent but nothing more than that, about one week ago or something.

"Until now I didn't know anything about that. If they are interested they can call me."

Asked whether his lack of experience in England could be a factor, the Dutchman told Five Live Sport: "If they think they are looking for a manager with Premier League experience then of course I cannot come, because I have not worked in England before.

"I have enough experience but not in English football.

"I think I would do a good job, I think I have enough experience in the last 10 years after working in Holland, where I was league champion, and working in Portugal, Spain...in that case my experience is enough."

Clicky

To be fair to KM, he's been in charge of a skeleton crew at a time of rocky waters. I think he's done a sterling job in unexpected and uncertain conditions. Considering all he's done, with no support team to help out, you have to give the man credit. It's not at all like a new managerial appointment where a backroom staff is also installed.

Five games in charge with the backdrop he's had to endure is hardly enough to prove his mettle. Whoever comes in, you have to give them a fair amount of time, and see how they operate with a full complement of back-up staff before judging them. There are a lot of wish-they-were-know-alls on here who think they could do a better job. It's easy to do from afar, like watching a quiz show on TV and getting all the answers right from the safety of your own armchair. It's a different matter when you're suddenly thrust unexpectedly into the limelight.

Villa are yet to name Martin O'Neill's successor with Kevin MacDonald currently occupying the role on a caretaker basis.

Various names have been linked with the job and Koeman has thrown his hat into the ring.

"Yes, of course I am interested to listen to everybody. The Premier League is a very strong competition and I'm interested in that, yes," he said.

"There was a contact with my agent but nothing more than that, about one week ago or something.

"Until now I didn't know anything about that. If they are interested they can call me."

Asked whether his lack of experience in England could be a factor, the Dutchman told Five Live Sport: "If they think they are looking for a manager with Premier League experience then of course I cannot come, because I have not worked in England before.

"I have enough experience but not in English football.

"I think I would do a good job, I think I have enough experience in the last 10 years after working in Holland, where I was league champion, and working in Portugal, Spain...in that case my experience is enough."

http://tinyurl.com/38vg3xp

edit : JezVilla got there before me :twisted::lol:

Vreitti, if you went to the game, then i'd think you would understand. A Championship Club being promoted are usually on the end of 6-0 hammerings not the other way round, he admitted he was tactically naive in the game but then went and picked the same team bar Collins against Everton who are a better side, if we had played Ireland we would would not have won that game.

It sure is nice to hear I couldn't possibly understand, given I didn't attend the game (which you know how, btw?) Anyways thank you mate for clearing this up. Now I finally understand the difference between the Premier League and the Championship. Me having watched the Villa and English football in general for about 20 years doesn't make a difference.

I'll agree though, he probably made a slight tactical error in that game. But more importantly the teams arrogance and over-confidence was the main contributing factor to our downfall that time. Which consequently was rectified in the grandest possible way against Everton, wouldn't you agree?

To be fair to KM, he's been in charge of a skeleton crew at a time of rocky waters. I think he's done a sterling job in unexpected and uncertain conditions. Considering all he's done, with no support team to help out, you have to give the man credit. It's not at all like a new managerial appointment where a backroom staff is also installed.

Five games in charge with the backdrop he's had to endure is hardly enough to prove his mettle. Whoever comes in, you have to give them a fair amount of time, and see how they operate with a full complement of back-up staff before judging them. There are a lot of wish-they-were-know-alls on here who think they could do a better job. It's easy to do from afar, like watching a quiz show on TV and getting all the answers right from the safety of your own armchair. It's a different matter when you're suddenly thrust unexpectedly into the limelight.

You don't need a backroom staff to tell you that SI is not a defensive CM'er or that a CM pairing of Stan and SI would get overrun by the much more physical three men CM's of Newcastle and Everton or that Habib Beye is not a left back??

I dont think its Macca that will get the job.

I say this because it would explain why we did nothing in this window. This inactivity also indicates that they are not even close to an appointment.

Just step back and think about it.

Any new manager will want time to assess the squad before deciding where he wants to strengthen. Different managers have different opinions on players and formations, just like we do here, on VT. There will be enough time between his appointment and January to do just that, where i expect he will be supported in the window.

I also suggest that the person we recruit will have some knowledge of the european market, since if we are going to strengthen in Janauary, then that little facet will be very important.

Im not happy, but im not going to get my knickers in a twist just yet, because i cant see Randy being stupid enough to set the scene for an empty ground.

After reading Koemans Wiki page. He's not really exciting me I must say;

Ajax - won the domestic double in his first season (2001-2), regained it in 2003-4, resigned after a poor season in 2005.

Benefica - Won the Portuguese Supercup but only finished 3rd in the league with a team built by Trappatoni which should have done better (2005)

PSV - won the league after an amazing 1st half of season, putting a 10 point gap between them and 2nd place in January. By the end of the season it took the last day to win it after Ajax and AZ didnt get the results they needed. (2006-7)

Valencia - Won the Copa Del Rey but Valencia finished 15th in the league. Got sacked after losing 5-1 to Atheltico Bilbao. (2007-8)

So whilst he has won a few league trophies and the league with Ajax and PSV, it seems that after the honey moon period he struggles in the leagues and inevitably gets sacked.

I'd still prefer Mclaren - although he'd never leave Wolfsburg this soon after spending some big dosh and getting Diego in.

The more time passes without an appointment, the less likely I feel KMac will be offered the role. If he was going to get it, my feeling is that RL would have appointed him after the Everton match and signed a couple of players before the window to soften the blow.

I think it's unlikely that we will go for someone already in role (Moyes, McLeish, Hughes, Jol) and the out-of-work British managers are a less than inspiring bunch (Curbishley or god-forbid Southgate)

Given RL's apparent jet-setting over the last couple of days, I'm expecting a european manager - probably Klinsman (although I would prefer Houllier)

Actually, the more I think about it, a Klinsmann/ KMAC arrangement with Kev taking on some kind of first-team coaching role does'nt sound so bad. JK certainly has the persona to attract big-names and KMAC could do what he does best, without being under the spotlight.

Just imagine, JK and Ash sharing classic 'diving' memories........what fun they would have!!!! :winkold:

The more time passes without an appointment, the less likely I feel KMac will be offered the role. If he was going to get it, my feeling is that RL would have appointed him after the Everton match and signed a couple of players before the window to soften the blow.

I think it's unlikely that we will go for someone already in role (Moyes, McLeish, Hughes, Jol) and the out-of-work British managers are a less than inspiring bunch (Curbishley or god-forbid Southgate)

Given RL's apparent jet-setting over the last couple of days, I'm expecting a european manager - probably Klinsman (although I would prefer Houllier)

Exactly my take on things, though dont rule out Moyes.

Wont be Klinsmann though, since he does not meet the criteria. Houllier, Jol?

Hmmmmm, didn't Trees say Lerner was flying back from Corsica?

A quick Google search tells me that Houllier did his post-heart attack recovery in Corsica.

If we were to bring in Houllier I think it would be more in a director of football type roll with KM staying on as first team coach. I think Houllier has taken a step back from the stress of being a team manager.

Actually, the more I think about it, a Klinsmann/ KMAC arrangement with Kev taking on some kind of first-team coaching role does'nt sound so bad.

Scares me to death. Klinsmann's hardly noted for his tactical nous either