Confirmed: Houllier is the new Villa manager

danceoftheshamen

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FWIW I read a long interview with SGE yesterday. He was asked about us and that Dubai or wherever team he's been rumoured to take. His answer was that he couldn't say anything atm but that something should be sorted in the next few days. He also said that he'd prefer the PL to almost any league, but that wasn't when he was asked about Villa. But he did mention us as one of the few candidates to get the CL. Anyway, if he's telling the truth and something's sorted we'll be able to either welcome him or write him off for sure any day now. I'll try to keep a look out in our papers.

Houllier might be a rather good appointment after all.

In his time at Liverpool, Houllier signed Emile Heskey and got rid of Brad Friedel. He also let Anelka leave because he needed the money to sign El Hadji Diouf at £10m.

Hmmmm. :bang:

Yeah, lets concentrate on the negative :lol:

SAF has bought some right duds aswell, even getting rid of Forlan. Thing is, we can pick a negative from any manager past or present :winkold:

Manager have to trust their intincts, and trusting your instinct is a risky buisness. Sometimes it comes off and hes a genious, and other times it fails and hes a useless clearing in the woods.

Go on the red cafe forum and you will see it with even the great SAF.

Gerard Houllier has the credentials but I would question whether he now has the energy and the drive to survive the constant grind that is modern day premiership football. His style of play can be effective but I remember it as being unenjoyable and more than a bit negative.

Houllier seems to be a hit and miss type character - I'd be happy to take a few misses if we won some trophies though!

The thing that bothers me is that he hasn't managed a club since 2007, which is a big negative. I'd prefer to get someone in with their finger on the pulse, so to speak.

Houllier is almost 63 and hasn't managed for over 3 years. I'm not sure he is the man we need if we are looking at a long term appointment. In the short term he could do a job and maybe at the same time have a younger assistant in place with the view to him taking over. I can't see it though.

1) Moyes

2) Jol

3) Hughes

I entirely agree with that, however I don't think we will get any of them (or even go for any of them)

I think it will be Klinsman or possibly Sven or Houllier.

I don't fancy Klinsman but plenty on here seem to and he would have the right profile to attract players and enough credibility to keep the squad in line

I have a mate that works in the media side of Liverpool and he said that towards the end of his tenure Houllier became obsessed with the media and internet forums to the extent where he would ignore first team duties. So i'm guessing after a month of reading Villatalk it may bring on another heart attack.

He did however come out with the best excuse ever. When asked about Robbie Fowler sniffing the touchline in response to chants from Everton fans claiming he took drugs, Houllier explained that new signing Rigobert Song had brought a goal celebration from Metz with him where they would pretend to eat the grass like cows :lol:

Sven is a good manager the only problem is he comes across as he never gives a shit, will just move on if some bird asks him or he gets paid enough!

I'm not too keen on him myself, but that "would leave as soon as.." I'm not so sure of. Isn't he the longest serving english manager since Robson, after all? And when it comes to caring I thibk people shouldn't be looking to much on his surface, sts. My biggest worry about him would be if he's "up to date" with the game.