Confirmed: Houllier is the new Villa manager

danceoftheshamen

Am I the only one that thinks Gianfranco Zola and Steve Clark are a possible option given our current circumstances?

I'd be staggered if Zola was offered it.

He's 64/1 at the moment so the bookies don't share your view - stick a tenner on and that's your season ticket paid for next season (although Zola would have been sacked by then)

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My biggest worry about him would be if he's "up to date" with the game.

I think you can be safe in thinking that he is fully clued in. Its one of his attributes, and is one of the most forward thinking and knowledgable coaches around.

Its just the fact people dont trust him, as can be seen by peoples opinions on here.

He would definately stabilise the ship, and if given cash in January, proberly push us on.

Sorry if this has already been asked but is here a full list of out of work Premier League experienced managers from the FMA?

There is.... but when you have the likes of Peter Reid Phil Brown and Jewell on it not good reading imo

I am afraid that I would back door Fulham on Hughes, chuck them £5m, and get him to sign on the dotted line.

He has Premiership experience, where he did a good job with two clubs.

He did a good job as an international manager.

He has plenty to prove to one of our near rivals, Man City.

He is relatively young and has always been tenacious.

I will accept whoever the club employ, but Hughes is the only outstanding name from any list, and for me the man to take our club further forward.

I'd be happy with Sven.

I know he's not the most popular man in the country but his record is excellent, he was harshly sacked at man city and if we gave him a few seasons (and a reasonable kitty) i really think he could take us on to the next level.

I can't see managers who have just joined there clubs walking out and joining us so that would in my opinion rule out the likes of Hughes and McLaren for me. Managers such as Moyes and Jol who are unhappy with the funds provided by their current clubs would need to know that would not be the case with us and I can understand they might see the same situation as one that is likely to face them here. I guess Jurgen felt he might be able to continue to live in the USA as their manager and the role of international manager it is not a 9 to 5 job so I suspect he might not leap at the opportunity of a full time job in Aston. I would also think Sven would want big money and to make more than a couple of changes to our squad so for that reason do not see him as a likely choice.

So, we either go for a manager who is between jobs (such as Curbs), one who is with a club that is a level or two below us that he doubts he can take much further (such as Big Sam) who might back himself to get enough from our squad to give him a crack at the top 6 or a manager who has been out of the game for a while (such as Houiller). Or we might give it to KM after a reasonable period of time and crossing out any names that may be higher on our wish list.

I hope we can get this sorted by the weekend so that a new manager (if that is what we get) can get a feel for the club before our next game. I look forward to Diego's first press conference! :winkold:

Ronald Koeman said on BBC that Villa contacted his agent last week, but nothing further happened. If what he said is true, I don't understand why we'd contact him if we were desperate for someone with Prem experience..

Unless we contacted him and THEN decided.. "Actually, someone with Prem experience would be good".

I don't know much about him personally, but I read something about the fact that he's won a trophy at every club he's managed at - unless he was counting the Peace Cup or Guardiana Cup :lol:

Did anyone else see Mark Hughes' face when he was being interviewed about his keeper staying put in the transfer window on SKY Sports News last night and was then asked something along the lines of "happy to stay?" and it seemed to cross his mind for a moment that the reporter might have been referring to him being happy to stay rather than his keeper? That was an opportunity missed by the reporter as I would think both men may be as happy as each other to not be at Arsenal or Villa respectively.

Ronald Koeman said on BBC that Villa contacted his agent last week, but nothing further happened. If what he said is true, I don't understand why we'd contact him if we were desperate for someone with Prem experience..

Unless we contacted him and THEN decided.. "Actually, someone with Prem experience would be good".

I don't know much about him personally, but I read something about the fact that he's won a trophy at every club he's managed at - unless he was counting the Peace Cup or Guardiana Cup :lol:

Or we contacted him, then found people with Prem experience and better suited :winkold: