Confirmed: Houllier is the new Villa manager

danceoftheshamen

Anyone who calls football "soccer" shouldn't work managing a team in this country.

'Soccer' is just as legitimate a term for association football as 'football' is. It originates from an abbreviation of association, 'assoc', which mutated into 'socca' and later to 'soccer'. All of this happened many, many moons ago. The idea that the word 'soccer' is some abhorrent American bastardisation is a phallacy.

Many English speaking countries, such as Australia, Ireland and the USA, have more than one type of 'football'. (Aussie Rules, Gaelic Football, Gridiron.) The word 'football' in these countries has always been used to describe the native sport. Therefore, the use of the word 'soccer' is necessary in order to differentiate between the different codes.

Just because the use of a certain word is the norm in England doesn't mean that that it should be the norm for all English speaking countries.

(P.S. I really don't want Bob Bradley to be our next manager, but for reasons more meaningful than his vocabulary.)

Used to be the norm in the 70s in the UK.

No it didn't. Not among me and my mates, anyway. The only people I remember using the word were (older, middle-class) rugby union fans - to distinguish it from their preferred sport "rugger". Pah.

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

would prefer Billy Davies.

but certainly wouldnt be against Davies coming in

If we were in medieval times you would be burnt at the stake for this kind of crazy talk!!

I genuinely dont know how you could even consider this guy. It baffles me. You do know we are in the premiership yeah?

All davies has ever done is prove time and time again that he is a championship manager at best.

because that is where he currently resides or is it because he took preston within a whisker of the prem, then took derby up or because he has turned around forest into a very good championship team with possibly signing of last season Majewski even though he is hampered by a transfer aquisitions panel?

But you are right, he is currently a championship manager.

All of the above, and you forgot he took derby up and failed very very miserably.

I dont care how many whiskers you come from getting in the premiership, if you haven't managed in it, or at the equivalent level then dont apply for this position.

We need somebody who can build on what we've acheived so far, not somebody who's going to take another four years to get us back to where we were already.

That man probably isn't out there. It's one tough decision. But I'm dead against all this championship drivel being given a 'chance' to see if they have got it at the top.

would prefer Billy Davies.

but certainly wouldnt be against Davies coming in

If we were in medieval times you would be burnt at the stake for this kind of crazy talk!!

I genuinely dont know how you could even consider this guy. It baffles me. You do know we are in the premiership yeah?

All davies has ever done is prove time and time again that he is a championship manager at best.

because that is where he currently resides or is it because he took preston within a whisker of the prem, then took derby up or because he has turned around forest into a very good championship team with possibly signing of last season Majewski even though he is hampered by a transfer aquisitions panel?

But you are right, he is currently a championship manager.

Davies has a pretty good record wherever he's been. Forest play some exciting football and were a non-entity before he took charge.

He wasnt given a fair go at Derby and actually vastly outperformed Jewell in terms of that one season they spent in the Premiership.

Beyond that though, he exhibits the kind of passion for the game that could re-ignite the faith of a lot of dis-illusioned fans, myself included.

Mate if it takes billy davies to re-ignite your passion for Villa then I wish you the best of luck.

And exciting football at forrest? come on now, I'm as scared as the next villa fan as what the coming weeks may hold, but there's no need to go crazy! ;)

I want a manager who will work his fingers to the bone for this club. Can you imagine Sven, Pelligrini doing that for Aston Villa? I can't..

I think the best method is to get someone who would really enjoy/want to work for this club to make it their own. I think there are two kinds of manager to do this;

either give it to someone who has failed in the past, who has been a bit of a cast away, learnt the game somewhere else for a few years i.e. Hodgson/Mclaren

or, give it to someone who has done well with a smaller club who probably wouldnt expect to get a phone call from Randy Learner asking to go for an interview I.e Moyes, Ince etc

I think giving the job to someone who has come down in reputation like Pelligrini from Real Madrid would be a bit 'flippant' in his duty. I can see someone like him saying 'well if it doesnt work out, I can leave and get work off the job I did at Madrid'.

My ideal candidates would be Mclaren, Cotterill, Bruce..I think Bruce would be the best for us, he's done a cracking job at Blues, Sunderland and his teams work very hard. Mclaren is a much better manager than the one England fans saw and just won the Dutch league with Twente for the first time in their history, breaking up the monopoly of PSV, Ajax, Feynoord etc. And finally Steve Cotterill because he did a splendid job at getting Reading up with a small amount of money and keeping them there for a couple of seasons where the lack of money finally put them back down again..plus they played attractive football.

I want a manager who will work his fingers to the bone for this club. Can you imagine Sven, Pelligrini doing that for Aston Villa? I can't..

I think the best method is to get someone who would really enjoy/want to work for this club to make it their own. I think there are two kinds of manager to do this;

either give it to someone who has failed in the past, who has been a bit of a cast away, learnt the game somewhere else for a few years i.e. Hodgson/Mclaren

or, give it to someone who has done well with a smaller club who probably wouldnt expect to get a phone call from Randy Learner asking to go for an interview I.e Moyes, Ince etc

I think giving the job to someone who has come down in reputation like Pelligrini from Real Madrid would be a bit 'flippant' in his duty. I can see someone like him saying 'well if it doesnt work out, I can leave and get work off the job I did at Madrid'.

My ideal candidates would be Mclaren, Cotterill, Bruce..I think Bruce would be the best for us, he's done a cracking job at Blues, Sunderland and his teams work very hard. Mclaren is a much better manager than the one England fans saw and just won the Dutch league with Twente for the first time in their history, breaking up the monopoly of PSV, Ajax, Feynoord etc. And finally Steve Cotterill because he did a splendid job at getting Reading up with a small amount of money and keeping them there for a couple of seasons where the lack of money finally put them back down again..plus they played attractive football.

I think you mean Steve Coppell????

I think you mean Steve Coppell????

The man who has just retired from football...

All of us have such different views on managers, it makes for good reading.

I dont think you can put moyes and ince in the same bracket though.

I disagree about a big name not giving a monkeys about us though, I mean if they want the job they want to do well, I cant see them wanting a black mark on their CV.

We need someone who can really make a difference, and remember we want somebody who the players are going to want to stick around for. If we appoint freddie 'did well in the championship with limited funds' bloggs then I think our stars will start leaving for bigger and better things.

The next man needs to inspire the players to stay because of what he can achieve and who he can attract.

Think theyve been down there twice IIRC

You'd be wrong, finishing in 11th with 50 points is not flirting with relegation (relegation was 16 points below that, 7th place was 8 points above it), that is Moyes only other non top ten finish.

Has anybody mentioned Roy Keane yet? :twisted:

Id be more than happy with that

Words fail me….

Think theyve been down there twice IIRC

You'd be wrong, finishing in 11th with 50 points is not flirting with relegation (relegation was 16 points below that, 7th place was 8 points above it), that is Moyes only other non top ten finish.

Has anybody mentioned Roy Keane yet? :twisted:

Id be more than happy with that

Words fail me….

Agree with Bickster there, would rather David O'Deary came back.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Agree on Bruce, although i think its unlikely and i cant think he'd exactly be welcomed by many Villa fans.

why though?

because he accepted a job he was offered by a club who happen to be close to ours?

I remember him joking with some villa fans when we sang sit down potato head to him..he's a really nice guy. Plus everyone on here seems to think we should get a high profile manager - 12 years ago he was part of one of the best teams in English History..how d'ya like dem apples? :)

If we did appoint him, he would not get booed and if he did, 1 win would change that :D

why though?

because he accepted a job he was offered by a club who happen to be close to ours?

I remember him joking with some villa fans when we sang sit down potato head to him..he's a really nice guy. Plus everyone on here seems to think we should get a high profile manager - 12 years ago he was part of one of the best teams in English History..how d'ya like dem apples? :)

If we did appoint him, he would not get booed and if he did, 1 win would change that :D

He's missed the boat in IMO done nothing at sunderland, where he was suppossed to turn them into a top 6 challenger. And he hates the villa.

Really dont see what him being in a good united team has to do with anything. Shall we get pallister in aswell?

why though?

Potato Head, give us a wave, Potato 'tato, give us a wave!

I can imagine it now!

:D

I'd certainly throw Paul Lambert in the equation, a young up and coming manager for me!

.....I personally would have no problems with this (although I'm sure plenty others would !).......had a good grounding in lower leagues....his teams play football the right way.......has planty of contacts around Europe....and the minute some upstart in the dressing room says 'show us 'yer medals' he can bounce his Champions League winners medal off his head....all good I reckon...

why though?

So was Paul Parker, lets just get him in instead ;)